PDA

View Full Version : SAR 8-3/R1/Great Point

Bubbles
08-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I rarely make forays into this neck of the woods, but I stumbled upon something in looking over tomorrow's card at the Spa. In the opener, the 5 horse, Great Point, has a bunch of unimpressive-looking recent starts on the dirt (I'm tossing his last, an also-ran on the grass).

April 21st, KEE: 6th, beaten five lengths
May 3rd, CD: 5th, beaten 6 3/4
June 7th, CD: 6th, beaten 8 3/4

Not exactly an impressive track record. But a further look into the PP's tells a story. The 4/21 start was over Polytrack, and you can't base a future dirt start off of it very much at the Spa (at least that's what I've found so far). The form of CD horses can differ dramatically between Kentucky and the Spa (must be the Big Red Spring water, right Tom? :lol: ). He's one that looks ripe to improve on a different surface, and you know he can do it, as he started the year with two solid runs at GP.

I also like this horse's back class. In 2006, this horse ran a very good second in a G3 at GP to eventual Derby winner Barbaro, and came from out of the clouds to do it. You also know he can run on an off track as well (50% chance of rain Friday at the Spa), as that race was run over a sloppy surface.

The Friday opener is hardly a field of world-beaters. Great Point's not a press-stopping value on the ML at 5-1 (curse the Contessa horses for being coupled and knocking the price down), but if it drifts up to 7 or 8 to 1, I start liking that horse a LOT.

Tom
08-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Yes Bubbles.
I drink that water and I definately walk faster!:eek::lol:

BTW, CD shippers doing ok so far.

KingChas
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Great Point also has the age old angle of going 1&1/8 turf to 7f dirt. :ThmbUp:
If the track does come up sloppy .
I've got to go with Contessa's Unbridled Danger.Check out maiden breaker at 7f slop.
Also a token bet on a Friday Bomb!
Most likely overclassed and trainer/jockey 0 for everything.
:eek: Irish Brian :eek:..... :D

melman
08-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Nice call Bubs but it got knocked down to 3-1. Nothing wrong with a $8 and change winner just not what you were looking for. Did you still bet it??

judd
08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: nice pick

toetoe
08-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Nicely done, with a good grasp of CONTEXT, i.e., the opposition. :ThmbUp:

Bubbles
08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks all. I did have it in doubles, the only problem was that the second race of the early double was a dreaded 2YO maiden turf race! :bang: That 4 horse in that race was the last I threw out (which always seems to be the case).

And yeah, 3-1 wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Thought the entry would take more money than it did. The horse ran a nice race, though, came right up the rail and wouldn't be denied.

kyle2227
08-04-2007, 01:47 AM
I had 10 across on that 4 horse bubbles. Just before the race went off I was like heck ill put another 10 across on him. At the top of the stretch it looked like he bumped that other horse but luckily they did not take him down. Made about $90 for each 10 across ticket. Was hoping the 2 would run out so I would have gotten more on the show spot.

Bubbles
08-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Nice hit, Kyle!

kyle2227
08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks bubbles. Usually what I do at Saratoga is I handicapp the race. Then I throw out the horse I think is most likely to win. I then generally go with a horse thats 5:1 or higher, however I kinda liked that 4 so I played him. The reason I usually play Saratoga this way is because favorites do not win as much here so I try and pick higher odds horses.

Doza
08-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks bubbles. Usually what I do at Saratoga is I handicapp the race. Then I throw out the horse I think is most likely to win. I then generally go with a horse thats 5:1 or higher, however I kinda liked that 4 so I played him. The reason I usually play Saratoga this way is because favorites do not win as much here so I try and pick higher odds horses.

Wow! Maybe I can beat the 20% takeout.