PDA

View Full Version : Printer To Scan 35mm slides, photos, etc and best 7.1 digital camera today

CapperLou
07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I am ordering the HP notebook suggested by Dave Schwartz along with a tuner since I have extensive music collection and want to convert cd's and tapes over to computer, also be able to get stuff off of tv. I have verizon cell and vonage at home.

Now then comes the question of what printer to get that will scan 35mm slides and everything else or do I need a separate scanner for the slides?

I currently have an older HP laserjet 1000 for its purposes and and HP6110 officejet all in one which does not have the slots on front for digital cameras etc.

Totally confused as to what to buy--looking at Canon, Sony, Panasonic for digital camera and its like buying tires years ago.

Please give me some suggestions Guys---Thanks very much.

Also, best program to set up pictures and organize!!!

All the Best,

CapperLou

JustRalph
07-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Lou, make sure it won't be easier and cheaper to have your slides etc, done at the local photo shop and put on disk for you.................fyi

DJofSD
07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
The sky is the limit for the type of scanner you might get to digitize your slides and photos. HP has a series of scanners that should do a good job. It's labor intensive, so, as was just mentioned, you might want to consider "outsourcing" the job.

Dave Schwartz
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Lou,

Over the past 7 years we converted our entire music collection of tapes and CDs (over 1100 "albums") to MP3and other media files. If you need any suggestions, just let me know.

Dave

CapperLou
07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Thx very much for input guys!!

Dave; have sent you an email--thanks for offer of advice--appreciate it!

CapperLou

P.S. Will anyone "touch" the digital camera challenge?????

bigmack
07-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Over the past 7 years we converted our entire music collection of tapes and CDs (over 1100 "albums") to MP3and other media files. If you need any suggestions, just let me know.
D, The toughest part I found is the time element. Rather than sit and record each song and save it I let the entire disc/tape run and then go back and parse out each song from the long wav and save those as MP3's using Adobe Audition. You?

Dick Schmidt
07-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Lou,

Digital cameras of the same resolution (i.e. 7.1 mp) are all about the same (at least until you start paying some serious money). There are only a couple of places making the chips they use to record the pictures. The big differences are in the lenses and the motherboards. Expect to pay a lot more for good glass. Cannon and Nikon are professional level and will give you professional results (at a professional price). Don't ask a lens to do too much; a 10 or 12x zoom won't be as sharp as a fixed length lens.

The motherboard issue is mostly speed and convenience in editing. Assuming you edit mostly outside the camera, speed is the key. Some cameras can take as long as 3/4 of a second to take a picture after you push the button. A lot can happen in that time to spoil a shot. Of course, if you are mostly doing still lifes or flowers, things that don't move about, time isn't important. For almost everything else, it is. Among small, casual use cameras, Sony has excellent lag times. See the picture, take the picture. Almost as good as film.

The good news about digital cameras is that you can try before you buy. Maybe not at a big box store, but if you go to a good camera store they will let you try out a few. You'll pay a bit more, but you'll get good advice and the camera that fits your needs. You won't be able to check out the lens (all pics look sharp on a 2" screen) but you can see if the camera fits your hands, the lens does what you require (closeups, telephoto etc.) and check out the all important lag and reset times.

Good luck,

Dick

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a
man who can't get his pants off.