PDA

View Full Version : Goodfellas

point given
07-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Article about the basketball official caught betting on games, but this little nugget on horse racing. Who woulda thunk it :eek:

"Back in the '70s, I had a joint on Queens Boulevard right between Aquaduct and Belmont. Every jockey in town came in and bet there." Other athletes had places as well. "There were athletes and bookies everywhere back then."

Hill would run into a few of them -- they weren't hard to miss. "Joe Namath used to fool around with my girlfriend's roommate back then," says Hill. "I used to see Joe over at the apartment every couple days. Before he left for Super Bowl III, though, he told me to 'bet the f------ farm' on the Jets. I went down there and took the money line. Man, did I clean up."

Hill didn't just run into athletes in his line of work. "I used to have a guy that reffed games in the Garden in the '70s," says Hill. "I don't want to use his name, but he was a degenerate gambler. He'd come to Belmont or Saratoga and tell one of us, 'I want $4,000 on the seven horse' or whatever. And we'd send someone in front of him to make his bet. That guy would leave the tickets on the table and the ref comes up and bets a couple bucks on something else, then, when he walks away, he palms the ticket for the $4K bet. I mean, what the hell is a ref doing betting $4,000 on a race?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=philbrick/070727

kenwoodallpromos
07-29-2007, 01:44 PM
The Commish said ponys is the only betting NBA is allowed to do as of now.

point given
07-29-2007, 01:51 PM
The Commish said ponys is the only betting NBA is allowed to do as of now.

Yes, OFF SEASON ONLY. Funny how it comes back to the ponies. Wasn't Pete Rose originally busted because his buddy cashed a P6 ticket for him ? Then the guy rolled on him and told about the sports betting ?