PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's Main Speed Analysis

Bill Olmsted
07-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Aaaarrrrrhhhh!

A nose.

A NOSE.

My kingdom for a NOSE!

(See BLACK EYED SUSIE in the 9th MNR last night)

Here’s today’s Main Speed analysis:

PHA, R5

BANJO PICKER (6/5) did not disgrace itself June 5 when it lost by a head to More Smoke, a past G3 winner. Today BP faces a short field of PA breds in the 100k Devil’s Honor Handicap as the high weight (121) at 6 furlongs. BP is nothing if not consistent, finishing in the money 8 of its last 10 races. I wouldn’t bet the farm because the price might be a little on the thin side for the risk.

RD, R7

SAY HEY CHARLIE (1/1) ran its best race yet when shipped to RD under the care of a new trainer. Prior to that SHC raced at Indiana Downs, a higher class venue. I like main speed horses that come alive after switching trainers and especially when they are moving from a higher class track to one where the competition is not as strong. Usually the new connections are eager to prove themselves when a new horse comes under their care. That 6.5 length victory under new trainer Charlie Lawson bodes well for today’s race.

MTH, R8

SHERUNSFORBILLY (2/1) came back after 7 months on the bench to win a N1X state-bred allowance coast to coast by 7.75 lengths with fractions of 43.3 1:08.4 on the MTH paved highway. She faces five others in this one-step move up to N2X state bred and should take it barring a case of sore muscles and the specter of the dreaded bounce lurking in the background.

CT, R5

PUT STEP ON IT (8/1) is moving up in class after winning a huge race last time for a 4k tag. Claimed by Ronney Brown for 4k PSOI is entered in a starter race for horses that have started for 4k or less during the past year. As the next to last morning line choice we are looking at a nice price if PSOI can somehow pull this off. Can it? The short answer is not likely. There are too many classy types in the race that are more likely to take this. However, PSOI could pull an upset on its best.

EVG, R9

#3 BEST MINISTER YET (3/1) looks decent here. It was beaten at this level last time by JW Jet, a horse that moved forward in its 2nd start after a layoff. Granted, this 4k NW1 6 mo claimer is scraping the bottom of the talent ladder where consistency is usually suspect. My only reservation is that BMY’s pace number was not particularly fast.