BeatTheChalk
07-28-2007, 12:15 AM
But I cant recall the name :bang: It is , however , a More Than Ready
colt .... who won the first two Big Races for 2 yr olds in NY. Remember where
you hoid it foist. :cool:

Good4Now
07-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Barkeep!

I'll have whatever he's having...I know I won't remember a thing!!!
Make it a double!

statik27
07-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Ready's Image is the name - I'd rather take the other pletcher horse from that race, Half to Circular Quay by fupeg named The Roundhouse.

statik

BeatTheChalk
07-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Ready's Image is the name - I'd rather take the other pletcher horse from that race, Half to Circular Quay by fupeg named The Roundhouse.

statik

I bow to your superior breeding knowledge .. thanks for pointing it out.. :ThmbUp:

KingChas
07-29-2007, 09:59 AM
But I cant recall the name :bang: :cool:

Now only 19 more to go................... :lol:

BeatTheChalk
07-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Now only 19 more to go................... :lol:

Well I was pretty good at singing 99 Bottles of Beer on the wall ..99
bottles of beer .. .. .. so 19 isn't so bad :jump: :cool:

tomcalta
07-31-2007, 02:50 PM
If we go back to last year i bet there was a similar post about Scat Daddy.... a better predicition: Ready's Image will be retired to stud before next years summer classics. :)

KingChas
08-01-2007, 11:46 AM
If we go back to last year i bet there was a similar post :)

I circled Circular Quay after his baby race at the Spa last year.
He made it to the Derby...barely........ :D

OTM Al
08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
While I enjoy baby races, I see little point to pay much attention to them for the sophomore season until about October, around when they are running the Champagne. Too much of "precocity" or whatever the catch word is for too fast too young is anymore. Remsen winner gets bonus points too due to its distance, though the winners haven't moved on significantly in the last couple years

tomcalta
08-01-2007, 05:15 PM
agree- i like how you'll see horses that were flat in races like the futurity and champagne and then have monster 3 yr old seasons... though i can't think of examples off the top of my head...i guess you might call this type altricial? ;) (opp. precocious...)

toetoe
08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Soon-to-be-released film on Todd's life to star Chevy "Leading Them a Merry" Chase.

For an all-day pass to your choice of NYOTB parlors, (second prize: a TWO-day pass) guess the working title of this masterpiece.

Edward DeVere
08-12-2007, 02:17 AM
A son or daughter of More Than Ready can only win the Kentucky Derby if the Derby is shortened to seven furlongs on the dirt or one mile on the turf.

Preferably, for two-year-olds.

DuncanPatch
08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I found Teuflesburg last year at Saratoga when he held on for a good second to Scat Daddy -- he did well in the big leagues. This year Jamie Sanders (same trainer) sent out 2 nice babies, both got 2nd in first starts at huge odds. One looks like he's capable of getting a distance but he can't win the Derby because he has a silly name: Fufty. Is that fair to name a horse "Fufty?" The only horse I can think of who won the Derby with a silly name was Funny Cide, so maybe there's hope after all.....especially if Fufty is gelded.

DP

falconridge
08-15-2007, 02:12 PM
One looks like he's capable of getting a distance but he can't win the Derby because he has a silly name: Fufty. Is that fair to name a horse "Fufty?" The only horse I can think of who won the Derby with a silly name was Funny Cide, so maybe there's hope after all.....especially if Fufty is gelded.

DP
Duncan:

"Seattle Slew" sounded awfully silly to me back in the 'seventies--and even more so after Mickey Taylor explained why he encumbered his colt with that handle (upon which Taylor admitted he decided "after a lot of Jack Daniels"). The intervening years have made it seem less idiotic, probably because we've come to associate the name with Slew's extraordinary achievement on the track and in the breeding shed.

Another nom de course scarcely befitting a Derby winner: "Lil E.T."

The misspelling of the five-cent piece portion of the name of Plugged Nickle [sic], a colt well-fancied to take the 1980 renewal (he'd won the Florida Derby and the Wood Memorial), made me glad that that son of Key to the Mint came up short on the first Saturday in May. The worst onomastic barbarism, however, may be backward spelling--e.g., Auhsan (actually a decent runner), Noitatic (a talentless son of the 1948 Triple Crown winner), and (horribile dictu!) Gnitsaoc Mi Reglob. :eek: :ThmbDown:

DuncanPatch
08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Good points there, FalconRidge! I had forgotten about Slew. This is a rare instance where familiarity breeds respect. :) As for Lil E. Tee -- I try not to remember him at all, since all my money was on Casual Lies in that Derby, a gallant runner who came in 2nd and went on to race gamely in the Preakness which he finished with a badly cut hoof trailing blood, a la War Admiral's Belmont.

Never heard of the other poor equine souls you named who had to lug around such barbarous name -- although it seems to be a tradition to give them, perhaps beginning with that 19th-centuty mare "Barbarity," who birthed 5 frightening females: Ruthless (who won the first Belmont Stakes), Merciless, Remorseless, Relentless, and Regardless. Barbaro's etymology is disconcertingly related, but we can overlook that....:)

DP

falconridge
08-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Barbaro's etymology is disconcertingly related, but we can overlook that....:)

DP

Che, DP:

From an undergraduate who spent the past year in Buenos Aires on my institution's (Claremont McKenna College's) study abroad program, I learned the following:

"The natives of Buenos Aires call themselves porteños, and they speak a very distinctive Spanish, which they call castellaño. The accent with which the porteños speak has a very Italian lilt [... ] due to the massive immigration of Italians to Buenos Aires in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. [...] Some lunfardo [slang] words include:

"boliche—nightclub
boludo—jerk, idiot; often used in a friendly fashion, but can be a deep insult to a stranger
bondi—bus
buena onda—good vibes
che—hey
macanudo—great, fabulous
mina—woman
piola—cool, clever
re—very, as in re lindo (very beautiful)

"'Che boludo' is a re porteño way to greet a friend; we use it all the time because it is so much fun to say. Bárbaro is also a word that porteños use all the time; it means 'great' or 'cool.'"

There you have it. My guess is that the usage Alex (she whom I like to refer to as "our gal in the Argentine") describes is analagous to that in which, in informal English, "wild" can mean "great," "cool," or "exciting." ¡Bárbaro!

Glad we agree that there's nothing piola about Gnitsaoc Mi Reglob, a somewhat useful son of Bolger--out of ... (yup!) ... I'm Coasting--that raced in California about 12-15 years ago. Trevor Denman didn't particularly like pronouncing its name, and a few times simply said "Bolger I'm Coasting backwards" during his calls.

By the way, I told Alex that hers was the best travel writing I've read since a young John Updike, as a stringer at The New Yorker, filed reports while studying at the Ruskin School of Drawing in the 1950s. For more: http://tauch-to-me.vox.com/library/post/why-penguins-are-awesome.html (http://tauch-to-me.vox.com/library/post/why-penguins-are-awesome.html).

DP, your recollections of the gallant Casual Lies (whose name appears in many Australian pedigrees) and your sense of history are--how to put it?--¡re bárbaro!