PDA

View Full Version : Street Sense and the Jim Dandy

Ron
07-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Any word on if he will run? I thought it was based on Thursday's workout. I seem to get out of the loop when ontrack.

Si2see
07-27-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty sure he is running... he worked thursday in 51.2 in an easy breeze, not sure if u saw it? calvin borel was aboard and didnt even ask him until the last 16th where he let him run a bit, he galloped out well and looked like he's ready to roll in the Jim Dandy... he should run a very good race... it will however be hard to top Bernardini's performance from last year

bigmack
07-27-2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/images/street-sense-ntra.jpg

Sunday's forecast at Saratoga calls for rain all day, which could affect Nafzger’s decision.

"Everything factors into it," he said. "We're not definite Jim Dandy. We're leaning that way."

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2007/July/26/Street-Sense-puts-in-easy-work-at-Saratoga.aspx

Drift
07-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Where can that workout be seen?

jognlope
07-27-2007, 09:10 AM
On news 9 last evening they said he's definitely running in it. Yeah!

Horsefan
07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Tiz Wonderful won all three of his starts by a combined total of some 19 lengths. Does anyone give him any chance? I guess even with stellar ability he might need this race to get back in the swing of things. Street Sense is still my overall favorite of the three year olds, it's a loyalty thing.

jognlope
07-27-2007, 10:30 PM
All the Tiznow babies are big and stately like their Dad, love watching them cross the finish line.

Horsefan
07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I think that it's not a matter of whether Street Sense wins. Just by how much. Could we be in for another 10 length "Street Sense he rocks" win? Or maybe those days are long gone. Are all the jockeys going to try and deny Calvin Bo-rail the rail? But I guess with only six horses there will be plenty of room. Of all the horses on the Triple Crown trail I have only been "connected" with Street Sense since the Breeder's Cup Juvenile. (I am early this year, looking at Ready's Image, Kodiak Kowboy, Lantana Mob, ect., ect.) He has run nine times and has won four, placed in three and had two shows- consistent but not the spectacular horse we all dream of. Than again that loss to Curlin was so close, kinda felt like a win almost. I am loyal to my favorite but I wonder if he will ever perk up and settle for no less than a win when asked, especially in his own mind. I read somewhere else that it's suspected that he's only 75-80% fit but that was enough to get the job done today. I have also heard so many nay sayers about him in general, I ponder if he wins today (in this small and easier field) that he will still be like Rodney Dangerfield-

"I CAN'T GET NO RESPECT":bang:

point given
07-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I think that it's not a matter of whether Street Sense wins. Just by how much. Could we be in for another 10 length "Street Sense he rocks" win? Or maybe those days are long gone. Are all the jockeys going to try and deny Calvin Bo-rail the rail? But I guess with only six horses there will be plenty of room. Of all the horses on the Triple Crown trail I have only been "connected" with Street Sense since the Breeder's Cup Juvenile. (I am early this year, looking at Ready's Image, Kodiak Kowboy, Lantana Mob, ect., ect.) He has run nine times and has won four, placed in three and had two shows- consistent but not the spectacular horse we all dream of. Than again that loss to Curlin was so close, kinda felt like a win almost. I am loyal to my favorite but I wonder if he will ever perk up and settle for no less than a win when asked, especially in his own mind. I read somewhere else that it's suspected that he's only 75-80% fit but that was enough to get the job done today. I have also heard so many nay sayers about him in general, I ponder if he wins today (in this small and easier field) that he will still be like Rodney Dangerfield-

"I CAN'T GET NO RESPECT":bang:

I think he gets plenty of respect. All the other good ones avoided him and are running in the Haskell next weekend. There is no doubt about his ability. The concern is about his concentration when amongst horses out in the track, ala Preakness and Bluegrass. He seems to concentrate better when he is on the rail and then come off it late. What happens if that doesnot turn out now ? Have they been training him to get out of that habit of losing focus ? Remember it was a concern voiced by Nafzger after the Preakness. ;)

Horsefan
07-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I am also a little suprised that Nafzger stressed how he was more interested with the (what was the word he used) "execution"/training of the race than the win. For me if he lost I would have my confidence in him shaken a little more. Thanks for your input Point Given

point given
07-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I am also a little suprised that Nafzger stressed how he was more interested with the (what was the word he used) "execution"/training of the race than the win. For me if he lost I would have my confidence in him shaken a little more. Thanks for your input Point Given

Interesting, I missed that which you quote from Nafzger. It is encouraging to hear that . He said he would be working with SS on this very thing after the Preakness as calvin said he kind of hung late. Coming off the turn, in that race, i thought he was a sure winner and would draw off by open lengths. I was shocked and didn't know if Curlin was a monster or if SS bled or something. It will be more interesting for me to watch the Jim Dandy now to see where Borel places the horse in the race. I wouldnot be surprised now to see SS on the outside and not down on the rail. So, thanks to you ! Remember this is a prep race for the Travers and BC later on, so dont lose confidence in him, they are just trying to make him a better racehorse. One race doesnot a season make !

alysheba88
07-29-2007, 06:41 PM
I think he gets plenty of respect. All the other good ones avoided him and are running in the Haskell next weekend. There is no doubt about his ability. The concern is about his concentration when amongst horses out in the track, ala Preakness and Bluegrass. He seems to concentrate better when he is on the rail and then come off it late. What happens if that doesnot turn out now ? Have they been training him to get out of that habit of losing focus ? Remember it was a concern voiced by Nafzger after the Preakness. ;)

I dont think they are avoiding him. The Haskell is a bigger purse than the Jim Dandy, horses can still wheel back for the Travers, plus BC is at Monmouth.

Both Hard Spun and Curlin are in the Haskell.

point given
07-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I dont think they are avoiding him. The Haskell is a bigger purse than the Jim Dandy, horses can still wheel back for the Travers, plus BC is at Monmouth.

Both Hard Spun and Curlin are in the Haskell.

Yes, i understand that, but Any Given Saturday chose to run in the Haskell too. Pletcher stated that both Curlin and Street Sense are tough, and he chose the Haskell due to the bigger purse of $1mil. If you're going to run vs the big boys, might as well run for more $$$. Pletcher has also been giving several horses preps at Monmouth this summer. Lawyer Ron prepped for the Whitney at Monmouth, as well as The Roundhouse et al. OTOH, Curlin and Hard Spun will have their work cut out for the Travers after a harder prep vs each other than Street Sense had in todays Jim Dandy. The big goal though of course is the BC, so if Curlin wins the Haskell , and Street Sense wins the Travers, ????

depalma13
07-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Doesn't look like we will get the Curlin, Street Sense matchup in the Travers. Curlin is supposed to go Haskell, JCGC, Classic, Retirement.

Of course the dismal performance by Tiz Wonderful today might change those plans, and Curlin might get the extra race.

depalma13
07-29-2007, 07:45 PM

Curlin did not dodge him in this race, it was well known he was going to the Haskell after the TC races because of the BC at Monmouth. Street Sense's connections opted for the easier spot. Of course now it looks like Curlin's connections will skip the Travers, thus making sure that the connections of both big horses are worthless bastards.

Horsefan
07-29-2007, 09:57 PM
So someone has heard that Curlin is slated for retirement at the end of the year?:(

Well at least yesterday on ABC Pletcher said that he plans to run Rags To Riches as a four year old. Good thing about My Typhoon's and Ginger Punch's trainers talking their owners out of retiring last year!!!

46zilzal
07-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Funny, low PED (whatever that breeding term may mean) numbers on CP West? No one told him. Pace predicted him up there, and sure enough he was......breeding vs. the individual, the individual is the better choice each and every time.

point given
07-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Curlin did not dodge him in this race, it was well known he was going to the Haskell after the TC races because of the BC at Monmouth. Street Sense's connections opted for the easier spot. Of course now it looks like Curlin's connections will skip the Travers, thus making sure that the connections of both big horses are worthless bastards.

Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to the matchup in the Travers. Nothing new here though as they both want to maintain the reps of their horses, good for them, bad for racing, what else is new. Any word on who else might be headed for the Travers now, ??? Hard Spun, Any Given Saturday, others ?

Horsefan
07-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Maybe Delightful Kiss or Tiago in the Travers?

Ron
07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Of course now it looks like Curlin's connections will skip the Travers, thus making sure that the connections of both big horses are worthless bastards.

Where did you hear this? Everything I've read contradicts this.

ezrabrooks
07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Where did you hear this? Everything I've read contradicts this.

What I heard was Haskell, JCGC and the Classic. With the Super Derby increasing to a million (if one of the big three show up), I thought it might figure in.

Ez

46zilzal
07-30-2007, 01:27 PM
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=609495