PDA

View Full Version : Let me ask a dumb question please

uscsilb24
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
let me ask one more dumb question...if i plan on taking about $100 into the racebook and I know that I will be making around 15 bets on about 10 tracks....knowing that most of the horses are favorites and I will be betting $5 on each race is it smarter to bet W and go for a bigger payout or bet P knowing that usually 10 out of 15 times the horses finish 1st or 2nd

thanks

cj
07-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Why not just take $20 and burn it? Seriously, what is your goal? If it to not lose much with little chance of winning, follow either of your plans.

nobeyerspls
07-26-2007, 06:03 PM
let me ask one more dumb question...if i plan on taking about $100 into the racebook and I know that I will be making around 15 bets on about 10 tracks....knowing that most of the horses are favorites and I will be betting $5 on each race is it smarter to bet W and go for a bigger payout or bet P knowing that usually 10 out of 15 times the horses finish 1st or 2nd

thanks

Why will most be favorites? Can you handicap? Why fifteen races at ten tracks?
Here's a plan. Go from ten tracks to three based on your past performance. Find two plays at each track. Bet $5 on all six to win. Construct several vertical and horizontal plays with these six involved.
Cash for lots of money. Remember me in your will.

GaryG
07-26-2007, 06:12 PM
To hcp 10 tracks in one day you must use the Evelyn Wood method...

uscsilb24
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
folks i understand all of you think i am stupid and crazy based on your responses....i will just ask one more question....disregard the idiocy by me and give me an honest answer to the above question??

W or P.....thanks fellas

JustRalph
07-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Here's an honest answer............remember who you are playing against in this game...........the takeout and the rest of the public.

Including those on this board.............now think about that.

Take your hundred bucks and go to an amusement park.

But if you really want to just go to the racebook and enjoy the atmosphere..........I would go for winners............especially those between 5-1 and infinity.............

classhandicapper
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Bet the short priced favorites to place and the longer horses to win. Favorites tend to be underbet to place and longshots tend to be overbet to place.

Hosshead
07-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Seriously, what is your goal?
It sounds like your goal is entertainment.
So in answer to your question, bet Place, (you'll make less money), but cash more tickets.

uscsilb24
07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
class and hoss......thanks for honest and serious answers....sometimes those are hard to come by....

just looking to kill a few hours during the day and get free drinks.....purely entertainment

GaryG
07-26-2007, 07:29 PM
You might consider the selections offered here by board members.

kenwoodallpromos
07-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Where did you get the favs placing in 10 of 15 races? if that is true, just bet the races with the lonest odds on the fav!!
Try not to bet races that are part of daily doubles or pick 3's. And bet turf non-claimers. (Today's Bel results!!).

bigmack
07-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Why not just take $20 and burn it?
Best advise thusfar. Yo CJ, broaden that signature to include:
At it's best this camp is forbidding to really dumb questions.

That must be what you meant by the: ...

dutchboy
07-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Place parlay. Determine number of parlays you want to do. Divide the 100 by that amount and hope you went on the right day. Want to bet 5 parlay? Start each series at 20. Want to bet 3 parlay's then start each one with 33.00

Or spend 20 on a nice lunch and go with a beginning amount of 80 and it could be a very good day if you could pick the right 10 of the 15 races to use. 10 in a row would be an huge return since you only will risk 80 total for the day.

Light
07-26-2007, 08:32 PM
If you're into heavy chalk,dont waste your money betting to place or win for that matter. Bet your chalk horse on the top and bottom in $1 exactas to the horses you consider dangerous.Much more profitable.If you're betting heavy chalk,bet the horse on top in a $1 tri for $6.The other day,I turned a 1-2 shot into $110 tri with a $2 investment with him on top.If I bet him to win I would have gotten back $3. Come on,I got better things to do. Or if you cant find the 3rd horse,play a $5 exacta one way(chalk on top) and a $1 cover exacta the other way.These kinds of hits are essential for the chalk player.

ryesteve
07-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Since profit is unlikely to be the end result regardless of whether you go W or P, it makes more sense to go Place; you'll cash more tickets, so it'll seem like you're having more fun, and you're less likely to lose as much money as you could if you're betting Win.

Ray
07-26-2007, 10:39 PM
you need to state what your goal is if you ar there for just pure fun dont bother with 100 you can have that same enjoyment betting $2 to win per race.But if you honestly wanna try and make some money form a strong opinion if you find only 1 horse bet $30 or $40 to win on him and try to make a score even if its late in the day make the bet when you get there and you will still have $60 or $70 left over to "have fun " with stay away from fav with the kind of bankroll if you really wanna have fun bet long shots hitting one of those is is more funthan hitting 5 chalks in a row... GL

Kelso
07-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Try not to bet races that are part of daily doubles or pick 3's.

Ken,
Would you please expand a bit on the logic behind this suggestion? Thank you.

nobeyerspls
07-27-2007, 07:47 AM
class and hoss......thanks for honest and serious answers....sometimes those are hard to come by....

just looking to kill a few hours during the day and get free drinks.....purely entertainment

My father was the stereotypical Irish bartender (don't blow your racetrack money on food or rent son). A married couple that frequented his establishment, and knew that he went to the track often, sought his advice as they were going for the first time the next day. He told them to buy a program and bet $2 across on the second choice of the three selections on the bottom of the page. At $6 a race over eight races the total was $48, an amount that they thought was excessive (this was the mid-fifties). He tried to explain that they would not blow the whole bankroll.
Some who post on here are better with statistics than I am but wouldn't the expected outcome be a $7 loss if they lost the takeout. Not bad for a days entertainment with a lot of action.

SMOO
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Bet the short priced favorites to place and the longer horses to win. Favorites tend to be underbet to place and longshots tend to be overbet to place.

:ThmbUp:

kenwoodallpromos
07-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Ken,
Would you please expand a bit on the logic behind this suggestion? Thank you.
I guess I should have just said daily double since there are so many rolling pick 3's nowadays.
The first couple of races are good to avoid because you can wait and see how the track is playing and wait for more consistent races IMO.

kitts
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Bet favorites. If the tote odds are 6/5 or shorter, bet to place. Otherwise to win. Even better, bet only 6/5 or shorter faves to place. You will have time to bet as many tracks as you wish.

Greyfox
07-27-2007, 02:06 PM
cj and Ray have it right.

What's your goal?

1. make money
2. meet new people
3. impress some babes
4. give to the Sisters of the Poor
5. get a sun tan
6. go bananas betting 10 tracks

If you state what your goal is, specifically, some members here would be in a better position to answer your initial post.

uscsilb24
07-27-2007, 02:15 PM
the goal is to take 2 people who have never been to vegas before, 22 years old and love any kind of sports or horce betting.....free drinks and a chance to kill half a day and only potentially blow $100.....something to kill sometime during the day....we all are sports nuts and love makin small wagers on horse races...

thanks fellas

Zman179
07-27-2007, 03:24 PM
the goal is to take 2 people who have never been to vegas before, 22 years old and love any kind of sports or horce betting.....free drinks and a chance to kill half a day and only potentially blow $100.....something to kill sometime during the day....we all are sports nuts and love makin small wagers on horse races...

thanks fellas

Then stick to two tracks. Betting on fifteen tracks would mean losing your $100 in fifteen minutes.

Greyfox
07-27-2007, 03:42 PM
If it's a fun day:

I'd recommend:
$ 1 exacta tickets 2 runners/4 runners = $ 6
be sure to have a long shot on the second line.

ryesteve
07-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Then stick to two tracks. Betting on fifteen tracks would mean losing your $100 in fifteen minutes.
Not if he's betting high%/low return, which is what he said he wants to do. If he doesn't listen to people here who are trying to show him how to make a profit, he can churn all day before losing all of his $100.

Bob G
07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
A question that looks stupid to one person may not be stupid to somebody else.

The person who started the thread asked a simple question. I didn't see him ask to have his motives analyzed and the people who flamed him are out of line, in my opinion.

To answer the question: I would play all horses under 2-1 odds (9/5 or less) to place and all horses at 2-1 or higher to win. That will probably give you the maximum chance of cashing tickets that doesn't sacrifice too much to the extra chance of breakage that occurs in place pools.

Greyfox
07-27-2007, 05:45 PM
No thrill for me playing 9/5 and under runners to place, unless I'm absolutely certain myself in the pick. Even then bet $2 get back $1, maybe ain't my kind of excitement.

uscsilb24
07-27-2007, 09:06 PM
BobG, thanks a lot man.....preciate the input....same to you greyfox

we are 22 years old trying to get some free drinks and just have a good time....if i lose all 100 or come back with 50, it does not matter

just cause this is real serious to one person, does not mean its life or death for other people..

thanks fellas

Greyfox
07-28-2007, 01:17 AM
BobG, thanks a lot man.....preciate the input....same to you greyfox

we are 22 years old trying to get some free drinks and just have a good time....if i lose all 100 or come back with 50, it does not matter

just cause this is real serious to one person, does not mean its life or death for other people..

thanks fellas

I hope that you have a fun day.
Let us know, how you made out.
All the best, GF