PDA

View Full Version : Printer woes

kitts
07-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I dumped the printer since it is a 7 year old HP DeskJet but the problem baffles me still. About an hour after I had done a print job, the printer refuses to print again. Green power light steady and amber trouble light flashing. I have done the "add new printer" thing multiple times. I have reserached the HP website for a long, long time. I have downloaded and installed multiple Drivers. I have done the remove (and reinstall) device from Device Manager. I dumped the parallel cable and put in USB I have "added new printer" both the HP way and the PlugandPlay way. The computer makes the sound that it makes when it recognizes a USB device. I can get it back to green light steady and amber light out but when I send a print job, it starts up and then stops with the blinking amber light. When it turn it off, it gives a sheet feed. Any ideas?

JustRalph
07-26-2007, 05:04 PM
how about

operating system

Printer model

have you been to the hp website to look at the "light chart" of that model?

I try, I really do......................

dutchboy
07-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Is it possible there was a paper jam on the last print? Also have you tried shutting everything down for 5 minutes and then restarting?

For me a flashing light has sometimes been a paper jam but I have never used HP. Most printer programs should show what the flashing lights mean. 7 years is a long time for a printer to last.

Dave Schwartz
07-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Kitts,

Get this... you are supposed to count the patterns of blinks because it is actually an error code of what is broken in the printer or the error message.

(Ask me how I learned this - oh, never mind.)

Anyway, somewhere in your manual (or online) is the key to the blinks. And be conscious of a button to push AFTER noting the first set of blink patterns (or a second led somewhere).

Dave

The Judge
07-26-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm not very good with computer problems but try www.maplesoft.net/printissues.htm.

kitts
07-27-2007, 01:55 PM
HP DeskJet 648C with Windows XP SP2 PIII 450 256K Ram. I spent a lot of time on the HP site and read about tons of stuff including counting the blinks on the lights. I tried the suggestions at maplesoft. Sometimes after trying somehting the power light was steady and the amber light was blinking and it was hard to turn off. Most of the time I got back to non-blinking two lights until I try to print.

Got my new HP D2330 today for $40 and it works (finally!) so I can't complain

JustRalph
07-27-2007, 08:58 PM
HP DeskJet 648C with Windows XP SP2 PIII 450 256K Ram. I spent a lot of time on the HP site and read about tons of stuff including counting the blinks on the lights. I tried the suggestions at maplesoft. Sometimes after trying somehting the power light was steady and the amber light was blinking and it was hard to turn off. Most of the time I got back to non-blinking two lights until I try to print.

Got my new HP D2330 today for $40 and it works (finally!) so I can't complain

you bought a 40 dollar printer? Inkjet?

Pace Cap'n
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
$38.50 plus shipping at Amazon... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILG1Y0/ref=nosim?s=merchant&m=ASF0S1GFIHF5V&v=glance&tag=nextag-ce-tier4-20&creative=380341&linkCode=asn&creativeASIN=B000ILG1Y0)

Dave Schwartz
07-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a friend that was buying them at Costco for awhile. They were so cheap that he would throw them away when the ink ran out.

Then he discovered that they only come with about 1/3 of the normal ink load.

:lol:

kitts
07-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I got mine (D2330) from Amazon. After install, I discovered that it does need two cartridges but only came with one. So I bought the other cart ($15 vs $30 for the old HP20) and it works fine. Except, I find that one of my software programs offers the pps in 16 bit and my new printer/software will not support 16 bit. I have more than one source so this is no biggie

Sailwolf
07-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I got mine (D2330) from Amazon. After install, I discovered that it does need two cartridges but only came with one. So I bought the other cart ($15 vs $30 for the old HP20) and it works fine. Except, I find that one of my software programs offers the pps in 16 bit and my new printer/software will not support 16 bit. I have more than one source so this is no biggie

Fun and games with your printer;)