PDA

View Full Version : NBA Referee Caught Cheating?

The Judge
07-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Its been alleged that NBA referee Tim Donaghy was betting on the games he called and was cheating.

First Martha Stewart now this. Whats next Bill Romanowski taking on a kidd or hitting his own teammate in the mouth or something ,oh that already happened.

Gibbon
07-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Just how much did Donaghy affect the NBA games he refereed?

The biggest eye opener, Bell said, came when he compared the number of points scored in the games Donaghy officiated versus the number of points the Las Vegas sports books had expected...........In the two seasons in which the FBI is investigating Donaghy for allegedly fixing games for gambling purposes, Bell found that NBA teams scored more points than Las Vegas expected (hitting the over) 57 percent of the time when Donaghy was part of the officiating crew. With a league average of 49 to 51 percent, the odds of such an occurrence are 19 to 1.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=expertstatsdonaghy

JustRalph
07-25-2007, 06:40 PM
That is an interesting stat. How in the hell he could do it on a regular basis........ I don't know? I guess by not calling fouls? Letting them play? I could see if he calls excessive fouls and the free throws jack up the points.........maybe? But it seems it would have to be very consistent? That would be the hard part..........trying to look consistent while doing it

kenwoodallpromos
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Just how much did Donaghy affect the NBA games he refereed?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=expertstatsdonaghy

dav4463
08-10-2007, 09:10 PM
If the game was getting close to the over/under in the final couple of minutes, he could call some fouls that would put a team in the bonus. They could shoot free throws and score while the clock is stopped. If he needed to slow the scoring down, he could pass on some fouls and hope the shot was missed or he could call an off-ball offensive foul to negate a basket or two. I'm sure he did it for both teams so as not to arouse suspicion, but they caught him anyway.

Marlin
08-11-2007, 02:56 PM
If the game was getting close to the over/under in the final couple of minutes, he could call some fouls that would put a team in the bonus. He was probably always on the over. I would guess he started manipulating the game from tip-off. Once the game was clearly on pace to go over, he probably let up and called the fourth quarter on the square.

I wonder if any sharpies were able to pick up on the trend and capitilize. I am sure a few did.

skate
08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
on average, totals and lines are very close, so it would not take too much and they would not need to be exact on every game, but just enough to cause a tilt.

so , the game itself will take care of the hard part (just get close) and then make a bad call and bingo, another call to make up for the bad call.

i realize, nothing new here, but it is a great example (because the game got sloopy "on calls") of what will happen "down the road", when the rules change "Without Really Changing The Rules".:rolleyes:

nobody knows from nuttin

Walking is still in the book as ONE AND, not two and or three and.....:bang:

kenwoodallpromos
08-13-2007, 08:11 AM
NBA has built-in excuse for refs throwing games as they never seem to encorce too many steps/traveling, and I hear everybody including many players and ex-p;layers talking about how the refs cheat by letting the big stars get away with everything anyway.

JPinMaryland
09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I wonder if any sharpies were able to pick up on the trend and capitilize. I am sure a few did.

apparently some of the books did catch onto something as some of this guys games were taken off the board. Going from memory, but one of his games so a large drop in the over/under and then it was taken off. Sometime's its the gamblers that are first to figure it out.

Like the Pennsylvania lottery when Nick Perry tried to fix the number. All the local bookmakers cried "foul." The subject of the movie Lucky NUmbers with Travolta and Lisa Kudrow. Funny movie.