PDA

View Full Version : New Haven for ID Cards

bigmack
07-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Dozens of people lined up at City Hall on Tuesday for municipal identification cards, the first city-issued ID cards specifically designed to bring illegal immigrants out of the shadows and give them access to community services.

The cards, available to New Haven's entire population, are meant to help anyone without a state- or federal-issued ID open a bank accounts and use other services that would otherwise be inaccessible. Advocates argue that if immigrants can open bank accounts, they will be less likely to carry large amounts of cash, a practice that makes them easy targets for robbers. :lol:

An estimated 10,000 to 12,000 of New Haven's 125,000 residents are believed to be in the country illegally.

"The simple straightforward purpose here is to build a stronger community," Mayor John DeStefano said. "You can't police a community of people who won't talk to our cops."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/ap_on_re_us/immigrants_id_cards

Q: What percentage do you think show up to get their card?

Snag
07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
"Ray Sanchez, a 36-year-old laborer waiting in line at City Hall with more than 100 others, said the card would also let him get a library card, use banks and learn English. It also would make him feel more safe, he said.
We need to send money to the places we come from. For me, I feel better. If the police catch me, I have identification now," Sanchez said"

I think Sanchez said it all. He's going to send his money out of the country and what if the police catch him? What is he doing that the police would catch him doing? He must think the card is a get out of jail free card.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-24-2007, 07:51 PM
The article said they ran out of applications - all 50 of them!?!

bigmack
07-24-2007, 07:57 PM
New Haven city council - Typical bureaucratic imbeciles sitting with beards and pantyhose wondering how they can help the distraught and haven't the slightest idea the world they're trying to assist want little part in entering the system.

JustRalph
07-25-2007, 03:21 AM
I predict a huge increase in "passing bad checks" calls to the local Police :bang:

Tom
07-25-2007, 07:37 AM
I think we should throw Conn. out of the Union.
And any other state offering sanctuary to illegals.

prospector
07-25-2007, 10:20 AM
why wasn't ICE arresting everyone in line...hell, you knew where they were..

rastajenk
07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I wonder how many of the thousands that didn't show up suspected it might be a sting and took a pass.

Gibbon
07-25-2007, 05:22 PM
...The cards, available to New Haven's entire population, are meant to help anyone without a state- or federal-issued ID open a bank accounts..... Who needs identification? We don't need no stinkin identification!

In the latest sign of the U.S. banking industry’s aggressive pursuit of the Hispanic market, Bank of America Corp. has quietly begun offering credit cards to customers without Social Security numbers — typically illegal immigrants.

In recent years, banks across the country have begun offering checking accounts and, in some cases, mortgages to the nation’s fast-growing ranks of undocumented immigrants.... Source (http://michellemalkin.com/2007/02/13/bank-of-illegal-aliens-in-america/)

Wells Fargo & Co. and Citibank have launched similar initiatives to gain new customers within the burgeoning Hispanic community.

Wells Fargo began a pilot program last year in Southern California to offer home mortgages to immigrants who have lived in this country for two years. Source (http://michellemalkin.com/2007/02/15/bank-of-illegals-in-america-backlash/)