PDA

View Full Version : too funny

john del riccio
07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
RACE 5
Calder Race Course - Saturday, July 28th, 2007
CLAIMING. 4 Furlongs Dirt. Purse $1. FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON TWO RACES. Three Year Olds, 118 lbs.; Older, 123 lbs. Claiming Price $10,000 (Registered Florida Breds Preferred) (This race will be limited to 8 Starters). FOR THE WIN BET, A PATRON MUST CORRECTLY SELECT THE LEADER AT THE HALF-MILE POLE OF THIS RACE, A ONE-MILE RACE. For the exacta bet, a patron must correctly select the leader and second place horse at the half-mile pole of this race. These special wagers must be placed as RACE 5. (This race will be limited to 8 starters.). (02:17 PM) (10)
PPHorseA/SM/EWgtJockeyTrainer1Waracha3 CL 118Fuentes Raymundo D.Arango Roberto 2Keene Road3 GL 118Homeister, Jr. Rosemary B.Procino Gerald 3Tomorrows Pick3 CL 113Alvarado Junior Towne Steve 4Smokin Afleet4 GL 123Figueroa Omar Alonso Enrique 5Lucchese3 CL 113Cardoso David Gomez Frank 6Trippi Dance3 GL 118Smith Ariel Garcia Rodolfo 7Deisel Power3 CL 118Trujillo Elvis Hale Robert A.8Poppas Special3 GL 113Mitchellhill Sally Bates Larry 9Decoding Secrets3 CL 118Aguilar Manuel Benson Alan A.10Sir Brandon3 GL 113Alvarado Junior Blengs Vincent

DanG
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I knew some people who were pissed at the Canterbury “extreme” day of racing, but I thought it was a blast.

Hats off to any track willing to step out a little IMHO. :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
07-23-2007, 08:08 PM
I knew some people who were pissed at the Canterbury “extreme” day of racing, but I thought it was a blast.

I watched that on TVG. The camera had a difficult time taking it all of the horses for both tracks especially since the 1st four turfers were ahead of the clod hoppers coming down the stretch. And OBTW, can any one find a chart for this race? BRIS seens to be missing the 7th from all of their results for Canterbury Park on 7/22? I wonder if it is a computer related problem or maybe they just didn't try to call/record the race. Wonder how those runners will show up in future PPs.

Zman179
07-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Wow! If my horse wins, I get 50% of $1! Enough to feed my horse one strand of hay.

Premier Turf Club
07-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I watched that on TVG. The camera had a difficult time taking it all of the horses for both tracks especially since the 1st four turfers were ahead of the clod hoppers coming down the stretch. And OBTW, can any one find a chart for this race? BRIS seens to be missing the 7th from all of their results for Canterbury Park on 7/22? I wonder if it is a computer related problem or maybe they just didn't try to call/record the race. Wonder how those runners will show up in future PPs.

I thought it was terrific, though I didn't cash a single bet. The turf vs dirt race was one of the coolest things I've seen on a race track in a long time.

Two thumbs up to track management in general and their racing secretary in particular. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Niko
07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Sometimes it's just about having fun and doing something a little different. I wasn't able to get out there but had to watch the replays and really enjoyed it. I talked to a couple people at work that went (seldom go the races) and they had a great time..that's what it's all about.

Edward DeVere
07-23-2007, 11:46 PM
I watched that on TVG. The camera had a difficult time taking it all of the horses for both tracks race.

The odd thing about that was that it didn't appear as if there was any effort to show both fields at the same time; as if the camera operators were completely unaware of the conditions of the race.

DanG
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
The odd thing about that was that it didn't appear as if there was any effort to show both fields at the same time; as if the camera operators were completely unaware of the conditions of the race.
Really?

On the YouBet feed it came off excellent. Split screen and each announcer taking turns. When they turned for home the camera panned out and caught both fields simultaneously. I watched it with my brother and we both commented afterwards how well it came off.

Different feed on TVG? :confused:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-24-2007, 12:14 AM
For the CBY race, I checked, and Equibase didn't publish a results chart for the race (7/22/07 Race 7). I thought about it, and this is rather unusual, in that 7 horses from the race should have a chart & data for a turf race, and 7 other horses should have a chart & data for a dirt race. But with the payoffs and finish positions being from the combined surfaces (turf took the top 4 spots as best as I could tell), that really makes an odd situation. Not sure how they will handle this for future pps. Maybe it won't be included at all, like some of those small county fair races that may or may not be parimutel, that don't get recorded in a few horses pps and lifetime records. Just like a missed workout or an exhibition - I have no idea what they'll do at this point.

The original post, for 7/28/07 CRC Race 5, seems like an extermely odd situation, that I'll need to learn more about. The race is actually 1 mile, but for betting purposes, the results will be at the half-mile marker. Very odd. Hope they will have photo-finish equipment, set at the proper image-speed, to record the parimutel finish, as well as the actual finish for deciding purse money only. (Asumming I read and understood the race conditions correctly.)

Steve 'StatMan'
07-24-2007, 12:22 AM
For Calder, here's a link to their story on their Sat. 7/28 Extreme Day card:

http://www.calderracecourse.com/news/racing_news/racing_news_07142007.html

OTM Al
07-24-2007, 09:42 AM
My understanding is that race 5 and race 6 are the same race. You can bet on who will be there at the finish as well as at the half way point. Since it looks as if the connections will only get paid for the final finish order, it means that the pace shouldn't be affected by a desire to be there in at 4f, so the pace guys here should love this opportunity

point given
07-24-2007, 07:00 PM
[QUOE=DanG]I knew some people who were pissed at the Canterbury “extreme” day of racing, but I thought it was a blast.

Hats off to any track willing to step out a little IMHO. :ThmbUp:[/QUOTE]

Calder initiated this extreme day last winter i think, but it rained and they couldn't run it . Canterbury copied the idea from the creative track sec. of calder . I tuned in a week early after reading an article on it the week before and missed the races last weekend. A day late and a dollar short again :faint:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
I watched the replay of the Turf/Dirt mix race. Interesting, although it might have been best to card it like 2 separate races - didn't seem fair to award the purses to only 1 of essentially 2 separate races, or declare 1 winner between two totally separate groups. But, at least we've seen it once, and it can be debated whether CBY or another track should try that again.

More appropriately, CRC is getting to run their similar styled race, the Fastest Daily Double, with the 2 simultaneous races, on separare surfaces, being separate betting races. That had intrigued me last year (alas, yes, they were rained off the turf).

That would seem like part of a strategy to speed up the racing day - by running more than 1 race at the same time, or brief gaps between dirt & turf races, where the tractors can work the dirt track during the grass race. (There would still be issues with saddling, grooms, paddock space, etc. for quickly spaced races on a regular basis.)

Kelso
07-24-2007, 11:30 PM
so the pace guys here should love this opportunity

I wonder if the wise guys will enjoy it, too. Send a 100-1 shot to the front and say he's simply trying to steal the race. Hold the favorite speedsters back and logically say they don't want them trashed on the lead.

To be clear, I don't mean at all to knock the idea. I'm with the "try it and see if they buy" school of marketing. But there is an added risk of manipulation here. Who's gonna be able to prove anything at the half?

Legit or otherwise, it seems to me that it would make sense for the longshot trainers to send their horses early in hopes of taking their profits for the race out at the window.

yak merchant
07-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Legit or otherwise, it seems to me that it would make sense for the longshot trainers to send their horses early in hopes of taking their profits for the race out at the window.

I would assume that was the idea, seeing how the purse was $1

Kelso
07-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Memo to self: Read the damned details, Kelso!!! :blush:

ryesteve
07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I missed that detail as well... I don't quite understand why they don't just card a 4f race. Won't every horse just be galloped out once they pass the half mile anyway? And are there really that many trainers who are going to feel motivated enough to enter a horse into this race for no purse money?

OTM Al
07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
But you would see the odds on the full race along side the odds on the half race. If you have a good idea of what the pace should be, you can compare to the half-race odds, which should be a representation of that. If you see something out of whack there, you should quickly know who's in on the funny stuff.

ryesteve
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Ok, now I'm getting the idea that they're also taking bets on the 8f order of finish as well. I didn't get that from reading the conditions as posted in the first message. Obviously everyone is going to have to be in on "the funny stuff". There's no other reason to be in the race. And who's going to know, outside of the connections, which half of the race the horse is going to be trying in? You can be sure that any tote clues won't be evident until after the bell rings.

Tom
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I watched the replay of the Turf/Dirt mix race. Interesting, although it might have been best to card it like 2 separate races - didn't seem fair to award the purses to only 1 of essentially 2 separate races, or declare 1 winner between two totally separate groups.

Steve, I believe they said on TV (or YouBet?) that they paid off both races for the top four in each. I could be wrong.

But I want to see a Fat_Chart for all 14 horses!:eek::D

Horsefan
07-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Here are the results for the Extreme Day they just had at Canterbury Park. I was suprised that a Thoroughbred beat the Quarter Horses at 770 yards, maybe that's too long for Quarter Horses?

This weekend they have an "Extreme Racing Day" at Calder, including among other things a race for Gray Horses only. I'll post more on this later. On July 22nd they had the same theme at Canterbury Park, here are some of the interesting results-

The Battle Of The Surfaces- Horses racing simultaneously on the dirt and turf courses. The top three horses were ALL on the turf. The winner was 9 year old Prospect Green.

The Are We There Yet- A 2 1/16 mile race ( I had wanted Imawildandcrazyguy in this one so bad, but he ran around July 14th and won that one! His next race is The Haskell and I believe that breaks our rule on our "What To Look For In A Horse" thread of trainers running their horses in races they can WIN!) Anyways, back to this race- Six year old Agent Danseur broke a 25 race winless streak and won by 4 1/2 lengths in his first race over 1 1/4 miles. He led all the way. His DI is 1.00, he had raced a total of 37 times and won 3, 6 places and 9 shows with earnings of only $116,635. This race earned him $20,000

The Blazing Saddles- Quarter Horses versus Thoroughbreds at 770 yards! The winner is thoroughbred Icy Tobin. A 7 year old who has run 43 times with 10 wins, 6 places and 5 shows for a total of $168,400. He beat the track record by 1 second!

The Battle Of The Sexes- 2 Year old fillies versus colts, winner was a colt named Willie Wiggin

The Hundred In A Heartbeat- 100 yard dash for Quarter Horses won by Golden Zoomer

They also had ostrich and camel racing and drew a huge crowd. The winning ostrich (only two even finished) was named Secrechariot.

Horsefan
07-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Tomorrow Saturday July 28th at Calder Race Course

I am tempted just to go to see a race with only gray horses running (Gray Pride Stakes) Here are some of the unique races they have planned-

The Turf Double- The daily double with races on turf.

The World's Fastest Daily Double- Two races run simultaneously, one on turf and the the other on the regular track.

The Harrison Half- A one mile race where you bet on where your horse is at the half mile pole.

The Rocket Man- Two furlong race with a $50,000 purse.

Methuselah Handicap- Horses five years old and up.

Jockey Sprint Race- No horses allowed!

Calder Turf Marathon- A two mile turf race.

King George's Wrong Way Stakes- 1 3/8 mile turf race run clockwise like they do in Europe.

Gray Pride Stakes- Only gray horses in this one.

Also they have an Extreme Family Fun day going on:)

jma
07-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Gray Pride Stakes- Only gray horses in this one.

If you like this kind of race, take a look at various tracks around Halloween. I know the Meadowlands used to run the "Grey Ghost" then, and I think a couple other tracks do it as well. It probably depends on the year and if there are another grey horses at a certain class level to fill the race.

cj
07-28-2007, 11:59 AM
The Battle Of The Surfaces- Horses racing simultaneously on the dirt and turf courses. The top three horses were ALL on the turf. The winner was 9 year old Prospect Green.

This was easy, easy money. I posted here as soon as I heard about it to just box all the contenders on turf. The dirt horses had zero chance unless the turf came up off.

Horsefan
07-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Yesterday at Calder the 10 year old Caller One won the 2 furlong $50,000 Rocket Man Stakes. This was his 28th start- 10 wins, 5 places and 3 shows for a total of $3,219,429 in earnings. This was his fourth running in this race. And it sounds like it's the only race he had been running in each year in 2004 and 2005, last year I believe he made four starts all together (if my memory serves me correctly)

Also Panamanian multiple stakes winner Golden Strategy won his first stakes in the United States- the 2 mile Calder Turf Marathon. He won it by 10 1/4 lengths.

The Methuselah Stakes (named after a long lived man in biblical times) was won by Firebrook.

The $50,000 King George's Wrong Way Stakes had to be run the right way and transferred over to the regular track because of the heavy rain showers they had all afternoon. The winner was Kristali by three lengths.

The 70 yard jockey race was won by Roimes Chirinos in the time of 7.21 seconds (did he plug himself in?

Zoobstick won the Gray Pride Stakes for only roans and grays. I was hoping that a horse with Gray or Silver in his name would win. Like Silver Zoobstick!