PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Delmar show the odds?

SMOO
07-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Even Philly joined the 21st century and now shows the odds on screen during the race. Why can't mighty Delmar add it to the top or bottom of their fancy Tracus numbers? Woodbine is another slacker, though I just figured it was a Canadian thing.

Zman179
07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Horseplayers love to complain.

SMOO
07-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Horseplayers love to complain.

Maybe they should complain more, judging by how far the industry has fallen in recent years.

Imriledup
07-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I like the no odds up there......i want to be able to concentrate on the race and not worry about my horse going from 5-1 to 3-1 after the race.

SMOO
07-23-2007, 09:13 AM
I like the no odds up there......i want to be able to concentrate on the race and not worry about my horse going from 5-1 to 3-1 after the race.
LOL. That's why I think they don't show them, they don't want you to see how much money they are stealing from you during the race.

Greyfox
07-23-2007, 09:25 AM
LOL. That's why I think they don't show them, they don't want you to see how much money they are stealing from you during the race.

Why would you ever be a customer of any agency that you think is stealing from you? There are 30 other tracks running that will show the odds.

Personally, I don't want the odds up there when I'm watching the race either.

SMOO
07-23-2007, 09:54 AM
There are 30 other tracks running that will show the odds.

Maybe I want to bet on Delmar and have all the info during the race? :rolleyes:

ponyplayerdotca
07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
If the geniuses can place a microchip in a saddlecloth that emits a signal that can produce a computer graphic output of the current order of horses at a moment in a given race, surely they can go one step further and incorporate the current odds per horse into the bottom of that same computer graphic output for each horse at the same time.

This would easily satisfy those, like SMOO, who DO want the extra info as the race runs.

It's embarassing for tracks whose odds change drastically from when they open the gates to when they hit the wire, as many feel there is no rational explanation for that long a delay in adding the simulcast/offshore money into the pools.

The general consensus is that track managements don't want people to SEE those drastic changes anymore to avoid the hassle. SMOO's point about wanting all the information is valid.

Again, if you DON'T prefer to see the odds during the race, you at least have the option NOT to look at them. SMOO doesn't have the option of seeing the odds because they aren't displayed. That can be an issue with horseplayers.

Technically, it's a form of censorship. No one likes that. :ThmbDown:

kenwoodallpromos
07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the world! Every bit of information that I am not given in racing or any other situation is a form of censorship!
When I am watching a football game there is no on screen pass % or rushing average shown as the situaion develops; in BBall, I never see the field goal % of each player as they handle the ball; In baseball, I never see a the fielding % of the player that a ball is hit to.
In racing, I personally would like to see in addition to the odds of the leader, the win, place, and show % of each jockley as they are running in those positions.
But actually I am glad just to have the saddlecloth #s of ALL the horses' positions during the race at DM, as Northern Ca gives only the first 4 leaders and does not even show the deep closer on camera who wins during the vast majority of the race!! Now that is REAL censorship!!LOL!!

DanG
07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
The Trakus system is at least 10 years past due. Just heaven sent for someone who does visual handicapping.

As far as losing the odds during this minute and a half I don’t see why it’s an issue, but if you’re watching via computer just pull up the YouBet tote or one of many now available and resize your windows.

If you start adding more graphics to the real time trakus system it will wind up looking like hieroglyphics as positions start changing IMO.

Everything moves at a snails pace in our sport.

Trakus
Real time tote system
Double loading the gate at every track
Tarp to cover the turf course over night
Rebate incentive to play on-track
Standardized color saddle cloths for ALL races
Standardized chart notations for position on turns.
Raise the scale of weights to reflect human growth
Ban the use of whips
Abolish ALL race day medications.
As the lip tattoo is checked each horse is weighed and the information published.
Accurate digital clocking of workouts.
Up to date shoe board and all equipment changes.
Put Harvey Pack in the Hall of Fame. (Or is he already?)
Match races are good for the sport and should be encouraged.
The idiots in charge don’t realize they have an interstate / grandfathered in internet gambling exemption and they don’t know how to exploit it.
The Ernie Daulman’s of the world should be comped to the max to encourage him to play on track in NY.
Time between races should be cut almost in half because the good players are more than ready and many modern American’s have the attention span of a hummingbird.
Every effort should be made to lobby federal regulators to open up foreign markets to bet into our pools.
There is no reason to breed 35,000 + horses a year when more than half of them will never see a staring gate. Just a touch of quality control please.
OK…That’s enough rambling…back to the real world. :)

SMOO
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
If the geniuses can place a microchip in a saddlecloth that emits a signal that can produce a computer graphic output of the current order of horses at a moment in a given race, surely they can go one step further and incorporate the current odds per horse into the bottom of that same computer graphic output for each horse at the same time.

This would easily satisfy those, like SMOO, who DO want the extra info as the race runs.

It's embarassing for tracks whose odds change drastically from when they open the gates to when they hit the wire, as many feel there is no rational explanation for that long a delay in adding the simulcast/offshore money into the pools.

The general consensus is that track managements don't want people to SEE those drastic changes anymore to avoid the hassle. SMOO's point about wanting all the information is valid.

Again, if you DON'T prefer to see the odds during the race, you at least have the option NOT to look at them. SMOO doesn't have the option of seeing the odds because they aren't displayed. That can be an issue with horseplayers.

Technically, it's a form of censorship. No one likes that. :ThmbDown:

Thank you for this well written post, and thanks everyone else for their input too. :ThmbUp:

DanG - I bet from a simulcast facility, so I have no computer to tell me the odds. Once they start loading until after the race is over I have no idea of the odds at Delmar or Woodbine.

Tom
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

:)

Yeah, my horses included! :eek:

Chart comment on one of them used the word "slithered!"

DanG
07-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Thank you for this well written post, and thanks everyone else for their input too. :ThmbUp:

DanG - I bet from a simulcast facility, so I have no computer to tell me the odds. Once they start loading until after the race is over I have no idea of the odds at Delmar or Woodbine.
Point taken…

Just out of curiosity, what do the odds tell you during the running that they don’t tell you after the race?

SMOO
07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Point taken…

Just out of curiosity, what do the odds tell you during the running that they don’t tell you after the race?

In case of wheels, I like to know which horse is longer odds since those usually pay more, thus I know who to root for towards a higher payoff.

I also like to watch how much late money comes in on the horse with a 5 length lead. ;)

Ron
07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
In case of wheels, I like to know which horse is longer odds since those usually pay more, thus I know who to root for towards a higher payoff.

I also like to watch how much late money comes in on the horse with a 5 length lead. ;)

The odds are on the tote board.

SMOO
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
The odds are on the tote board.

As I already said, I bet from a similcast facility. They do not have a tote board.

:bang:

Ron
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM

You have yet to come up with a great reason to have the odds displayed on the screen during the race. Why don't you contact Delmar?

SMOO
07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
You have yet to come up with a great reason to have the odds displayed on the screen during the race. Why don't you contact Delmar?
MAYBE I SHOULD JUST WATCH THE TOTE BOARD.

Ron
07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
As I already said, I bet from a similcast facility.

Ahhh, now that's your problem!

Imriledup
07-23-2007, 05:22 PM
The Trakus system is at least 10 years past due. Just heaven sent for someone who does visual handicapping.

As far as losing the odds during this minute and a half I don’t see why it’s an issue, but if you’re watching via computer just pull up the YouBet tote or one of many now available and resize your windows.

If you start adding more graphics to the real time trakus system it will wind up looking like hieroglyphics as positions start changing IMO.

Trakus
Real time tote system
Double loading the gate at every track
Tarp to cover the turf course over night
Rebate incentive to play on-track
Standardized color saddle cloths for ALL races
Standardized chart notations for position on turns.
Raise the scale of weights to reflect human growth
Ban the use of whips
Abolish ALL race day medications.
As the lip tattoo is checked each horse is weighed and the information published.
Accurate digital clocking of workouts.
Up to date shoe board and all equipment changes.
Put Harvey Pack in the Hall of Fame. (Or is he already?)
Match races are good for the sport and should be encouraged.
The idiots in charge don’t realize they have an interstate / grandfathered in internet gambling exemption and they don’t know how to exploit it.
The Ernie Daulman’s of the world should be comped to the max to encourage him to play on track in NY.
Time between races should be cut almost in half because the good players are more than ready and many modern American’s have the attention span of a hummingbird.
Every effort should be made to lobby federal regulators to open up foreign markets to bet into our pools.
There is no reason to breed 35,000 + horses a year when more than half of them will never see a staring gate. Just a touch of quality control please.
OK…That’s enough rambling…back to the real world. :)

Del mar doesn't need a tarp, it never rains. :lol:

ponyplayerdotca
07-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Kenwoodallpromos wrote:

"Welcome to the world! Every bit of information that I am not given in racing or any other situation is a form of censorship!

When I am watching a football game there is no on screen pass % or rushing average shown as the situaion develops. In BBall, I never see the field goal % of each player as they handle the ball. In baseball, I never see a the fielding % of the player that a ball is hit to.

In racing, I personally would like to see in addition to the odds of the leader, the win, place, and show % of each jockey as they are running in those positions.

But actually I am glad just to have the saddlecloth #s of ALL the horses' positions during the race at DM, as Northern Ca gives only the first 4 leaders and does not even show the deep closer on camera who wins during the vast majority of the race!! Now that is REAL censorship!! LOL!!"
====

Easy Ken, you're going to bust a gasket. All of the things you've mentioned haven't ever been offered onscreen for a few years, then taken away.

At some point during the simulcast age, the feed providers decided it was useful to the viewer to post the number (sometimes horse and jockey name) and the odds per horse on the screen (at least the top 4) at a time.

Now, they've decided to eliminate a feature many horseplayers, like SMOO, had gotten used to.

Now, I don't much like the yellow "1st & 10" computer line they've adopted on pro and college football broadcasts, but the networks decided it was useful to the viewer and decided to go with it.

Imagine that yellow line being taken away from major football broadcasts - don't you think that many viewers would complain about it not being there anymore? Hmmmmm....

That's all that SMOO seems to be questioning.

Hosshead
07-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I like to see the odds during a race too.
Sometimes I like to see how far down the fav's odds went, sometimes I like to see how far up a longshot's odds went.
Does it matter why?
So now we have to "prove" why we want/need something that was there before, but is being withheld because the tracks don't want us to see the drastic odds' change after the bell?

DJofSD
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
The Trakus system is at least 10 years past due.

If you watched any part of the America's Cup last month which was contested off the coast of Spain, you have a good idea of what T'bred racing is missing.

When you read about the next incremental step in what the wire houses in NYC are looking for with their electronic trading you have a good idea of what technology is capable of delivering.

If you think that it's just a matter of time before they'll have to upgrade their tote system then stop to consider the FAA RADAR system which involves protecting human lives and how old it is then you should give up any hope of seeing improvements in horse racing mutual system.

bigmack
07-23-2007, 07:27 PM
tracks don't want us to see the drastic odds' change after the bell?
Let's not get silly. They can only fit so much on the screen before you're unable to see the action.

Some 24 hour cable news outlets tried early on to put on a screen, a talking head reading the news, headlines crawling, Dow Jones ticker, & current time. Christ, how informed does one need to be simultaneously.

Besides, with the size of the pools at DMR, late drastic odds changes are few and far.

ponyplayerdotca
07-23-2007, 07:47 PM
The harness racing at WOODBINE/MOHAWK has both the saddlecloth and odds per horse displayed on-screen with their TRAKUS system. So it seems it DOES already exist. :ThmbUp:

WOODBINE's thoroughbred TRAKUS system is different, however, and does not.

DanG
07-23-2007, 07:51 PM
DjofSD Today ~ The all weather surface at DMR could be tested today -- the weather service is predicting a possibility of rain! According to the radio it already is raining in Los Angeles.
Never say Never my friend! ;)

Yes, DMR as earned their ‘tarp exemption… :jump:

Imriledup
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
The information you ask for is easily acquired on the internet with live, running tote boards. If you are at a simo facility instead of at home watching on tv like everyone else, you miss out on the running odds.

You lose a lot by being at a simo facility..because not only do you not get to watch the live racing product on the track of your choice, but you have to deal with the dregs of society. Betting at home is SO much better and so much more conducive to handling your betting business in proper fashion.

46zilzal
07-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Having worked in the televised part of racing, just write the track and contact those involved. You would be surprised as to how they respond to feedback.

DanG
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Having worked in the televised part of racing, just write the track and contact those involved. You would be surprised as to how they respond to feedback.
Your right 46 on several circuits, but Gulfstream is not part of that group.

10 + very cordial / polite letters and still waiting for response #1 and that’s no exaggeration. :bang:

On that train of thought…

Many years ago (Pre-Google earth etc) I was doing a project that required exact coordinates of the tracks and their facilities. It wasn’t anything that would have taken a semi-intelligent person more than 3 minutes to respond to. I did a mass e-mailing and I was AMAZED how many never responded. It’s been a while so I can’t be specific, but I do remember a few who were very helpful and prompt.

Sam Houston
Tampa Bay Downs
Woodbine
Emerald Downs
Canterbury
Oaklawn
There were others, but that’s all that comes to mind. If you write to a 3rd rate company that makes shoe laces they will inundate you with a mountain of e-mail etc…It just shocks me that race tracks don’t bend over backwards to converse with their customers such as PTC does BTW.

Greyfox
07-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't want to take you off topic, but I would prefer that they show the
Daily Double possible combo payouts more frequently. They do it a bit before post time.

Ron
07-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Many years ago (Pre-Google earth etc) I was doing a project that required exact coordinates of the tracks and their facilities. It wasn’t anything that would have taken a semi-intelligent person more than 3 minutes to respond to. I did a mass e-mailing and I was AMAZED how many never responded. It’s been a while so I can’t be specific, but I do remember a few who were very helpful and prompt.

That request is pushing the limits of customer service.

DanG
07-23-2007, 11:19 PM
I didn’t know you were in race track management. :D

Edward DeVere
07-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a horse DIE on Del Mar's turf last year during a morning workout due to some lingering moisture from rain?

bigmack
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a horse DIE on Del Mar's turf last year during a morning workout due to some lingering moisture from rain?
Coastal eddies roll in as DMR is a stones throw from the coast. Rain can happen but it's unlikely.

JustRalph
07-24-2007, 01:18 AM

Depends on who is providing the service. I sent an email once to Sam Houston for info on the length of the stretch etc.........

I got back a couple of pdf files with the plans for the irrigation, the electrical circuits and all the elevation at different points etc. The damn document looked like something an architect put together. A day later I got some blueprints or something also. I couldn't believe it. There was so much stuff to digest it was amazing. I love that place. I like visiting too.........but the racing has gone to shit.............

Imriledup
07-24-2007, 05:07 AM

No:lol:

SMOO
07-24-2007, 07:54 AM
I like to see the odds during a race too.
Sometimes I like to see how far down the fav's odds went, sometimes I like to see how far up a longshot's odds went.
Does it matter why?
So now we have to "prove" why we want/need something that was there before, but is being withheld because the tracks don't want us to see the drastic odds' change after the bell?

:ThmbUp:

Greyfox
07-24-2007, 09:18 AM
The Del Mar use of Trakus "Chicklets" represents an interesting departure from the way the "Chicklets" are used at Woodbine.
At Del Mar the "Chicklets" are in a single line and reasonably large.The odds could be fitted to them without detracting from aesthetic appeal.
At Woodbine the "Chicklets" are more scattered moving as the horse moves.
There are advantages to both, but IMO the Woodbine "Chicklets" give a better representation of the relative positioning of each horse.
The Del Mar Chicklets just show the running order. The distances between those runners is not represented on the screen. In effect, two horses running last at Del Mar, may appear tight to the rest of the field on the screen.
At Woodbine, they will appear well back.
I, personally, don't find the Del Mar Chicklets to be as useful as the Woodbine Chicklets.

cj
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
When I'm watching a race (or a replay), I like to know if the pace setters are favorites or hopeless longshots, or if my horse is tracking a 99 to 1 horse, or a 4 to 5 favorite. Of course I can figure this out with PPs, but it is certainly easier if it is on the screen.