PDA

View Full Version : So what are you doing with Trakus data?

Tom
07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Thought a thread to discuss how to use the new data might be interesting.
Anyone using it for trips, for figures, what about races where no trakus is available?

How are you getting it off the website!?

Right away I see a screen that should be added - to the summary screen, put in the ground covered to go with each individual time would make the whole thinkg a lot more user-friendy.

I send a note to Dmr and Trakus today....maybe a few more would help?

I'm using the data to make pace and final figs based on actual times and ground covered for the velocity numbers, but with all this precision now, how do we go about factoring in a track variant?

trigger
07-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Easier to just use the sheets

Cratos
07-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Thought a thread to discuss how to use the new data might be interesting.
Anyone using it for trips, for figures, what about races where no trakus is available?

How are you getting it off the website!?

Right away I see a screen that should be added - to the summary screen, put in the ground covered to go with each individual time would make the whole thinkg a lot more user-friendy.

I send a note to Dmr and Trakus today....maybe a few more would help?

I'm using the data to make pace and final figs based on actual times and ground covered for the velocity numbers, but with all this precision now, how do we go about factoring in a track variant?

Since speed by definition is distance over time and allegedly Trakus will account for a more accurate distance number, then the speed figure methodology should be more accurate. However track variant will still not be achieved because you will still have two independent variables and you won’t know which variable is changing or the rate of change by either variable.

Robert Fischer
07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Trakus velocity and ground loss in particular would be a goldmine for a speed favoring dirt track.
The way oaklawn park was playing earlier in the year(2/2007), where the conveyer belt pops out and carries the leader home is a great example.
On polytrack or turf routes greater than 8 or 8.5 furlongs, it isn't of much use whatsoever. You have to look at the fractions. For example in the Belmont Stakes Rags to Riches stumbles and goes a bit wide and every one wants to take a sheet of TP or a rag and give out some bonus , but in reality the pace is so slow that there is no significant disadvantage to being a little tardy or wide early when the horses natural cruising speed easily makes up the loss during the backstretch into the tepid pace. The same concept is very true in polytrack meets like kee/AP/earlyDelmar where the pace is generally slow and as the e1 or e2 dirt pedigrees tire everyone has to line up 5 wide in the stretch to go around them on tracks and races that may actually favor going wide(although saving ground is favorable in the first half of the race). Synthetic courses like turfway or woodbine where the kickback particles are at a very high level saving ground is disadvantageous and the ideal position is actually near the front and to the outside.

If delmar were a longer meet the way to do it would be to study(enter to database) the trakus info for sprints only for the first third of the meet (probably only <6.5furlongs,3up,colts/geldings). Take a peek at the conditions book to not waste time at a distance that will not have enough races.
If you can draw a significant correlation to racing inside(saving ground) and performance in terms of odds compared with those that lost ground at varying degrees then you have a chance of doing something with the trakus for the final 2 thirds of the meet.
:kiss:short meet , watch for the jockey adjustments , the way the pace changes and even the surface changes when they run the "TurfTerminator" over the the polytrack at varying settings to tinker with the track.

in other words its more of an exercise than a goldmine until we get trakus for the speed favoring dirt surfaces.

Skanoochies
07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
I`m not sure if it`s my bad eyes or what. But I have seen races where I have been watching my wager horse and the Trakus buttons, and it appears that the buttons are bouncing around like kippers on a griddle, yet the horse appears to be running relatively straight. I have doubts about the accuracy of it.

Good4Now
07-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I used to have a girlfriend like that.

Skanoochies
07-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Like what? Bad eyes, bouncing buttons, or the smell of kippers? :lol:

cj
07-24-2007, 05:17 AM
It sure isn't of any use at Delmar for route races. The early fractions are so slow the horses may as well be walking. It doesn't matter if they are on the rail or 10 wide.