PDA

View Full Version : Norman Borlaug

Secretariat
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
A fascinating story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gregg-easterbrook/greatest-living-american-_b_56665.html

GREATEST LIVING AMERICAN IGNORED
by Gregg Easterbrook
July 17, 2007

"Today in Washington I was in the room as the greatest living American received a medal. George W. Bush, Nancy Pelosi and others were present. But will you ever hear this event occurred? To judge from tonight's major network evening newscasts, perhaps not. Cameras were allowed at the ceremony but I saw none from the major networks, though the international press was significantly represented. And will you recognize this great man's name when I say it?

The greatest living American is Norman Borlaug, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970, and joins Jimmy Carter as the two living American-born laureates around whose necks this distinction as been placed. Do you know Borlaug's achievement? Would you recognize him if he sat on your lap? Norman Borlaug WON THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE, yet is anonymous in the land of his birth. "

kenwoodallpromos
07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
"From 1935 to 1938 Borlaug worked for the United States Forestry Service...
Borlaug's job at the Forest Service was eliminated due to budget cuts" (under Demo Roosevelt).

Tom
07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Two thoughts:

1. If the Fairness Doctrine is re-enacted, all article from the HuffandI'llPuffington Post will have to start with the words "Once upon a time..."

2. Jimmy Carter disgraced the title so much, no one talks about it anymore. He actually got it for cowardice, not peace efforts.

JustRalph
07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Very distinguished individual.........But Greatest Living American? If you say so.......

Secretariat
07-20-2007, 08:50 PM
JR, I didn't say so, but one of only two living American Nobel Peace Prize Winners, and not a bit of network news coverage for the Congressional Medal of Honor. I can't imagine a more positive force in terms of accomplishments after reading his info.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Sec, thanks for the link about this great man and the great good that he has done that has helped many millions of the world's hungry.

Yes, it is sad that only the horrid, the tragic, the bleeding or burning gets on T.V., and the good, the quiet, the normal, esp. if it effects are overseas, always gets ignored by the media. At least, now those of us who read the link know about him.

Shame that others might not read about him and many other great people until their stories are briefly told in a national obituary column.