PDA

View Full Version : Support for our TROOPS?

Tom
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
The congrss will recess for August.
The president is heading to Crawford.
The Iraqi government, who failed to meet over half of their objectives and face a September dedline are going to take a vacation for August.

Tony "the SOB" Snow rationalized that it was 130 degrees over there and a vacation was in order.

How hot is it in battle gear and body armour? Seems the only ones NOT getting a break are our troops.:mad:

Oh, and while THEY are only ones working this summer, back at home, Bush is fighting giving them a 3.5% raise.

"You're doing a hell of a job, there Bushy."

PaceAdvantage
07-20-2007, 03:41 AM
You make some very good points there Tom....

46zilzal
07-20-2007, 12:25 PM
The classic line from Nixon's Secretary of State:"Military men are pawns to be used like the government wants." Paraphrasing Kissinger.

DanG
07-20-2007, 01:04 PM
The classic line from Nixon's Secretary of State:"Military men are pawns to be used like the government wants." Paraphrasing Kissinger.
Tom’s ands 46’s statements are both true IMHO.

In order for the chain of command to function properly soldiers must be pawns within the framework of defense. As every serious military member I have spoken to has said (and that is many) if one questions orders and / or the mission the entire process breaks down and everyone’s risk is increased exponentially.

There is no room for ambiguity on the battle field. If in your heart you believe the mission to be unjust / immoral you owe it to your comrades to resign your post. If you choose to wear the uniform and put another mans life in your arms you must follow orders to the best of your ability without question.

This is why I cringe when the 19yo foot soldier takes the brunt of disciplinary action when they are often are following the chain of command as best they can.

It is extremely difficult and at times (ill responsible) to put a properly trained marine / seal into a situation where a policemans instincts are called for. Their training is not geared to work crowd control for example. They are highly skilled to do what America needs when bad guys pose a threat. They charge with only regard for their fellow soldier and do what is necessary, by whatever means is necessary.

This of course leads back into Toms post…This places an extraordinary responsibility on leadership to dot every “i” and cross every “t” before committing men and women into harms way.

That segment of the debate will carry out over the nest 30 years in many forms.

Tom
07-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Good post, Dan.
My concern is that if everyone has time for vacations, perhaps the situation no longer warrants uor troops being there. If it doens, than no vacations for anyone are warranted.

But what really got my goat was that smug SOB Tony Snow - I would love to have 5 minutes alone with that cretin. 5 minutes. Then we could all play that Letterman game - Will it Float?

I say he should be fired for his comments.