PDA

View Full Version : polytrak maintenance

point given
07-19-2007, 10:16 AM
one area of mystery regarding poly, is the maintenance of the surface. We all saw what happened at Keeneland. Now, here is a bit from an article which got my attention regarding Delmar.

"Del Mar’s Polytrack consists of silica sand, rubber, fibers and wax. More wax and fiber were added before horses began training regularly over the surface earlier this month, and then further adjustments were made after the surface seemed a little firm July 16.

“It was actually set up for a little warmer day (July 16),” said Joe Harper, president of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. “You have to kind of second-guess where the temperature is going to be. It was a cooler morning than anticipated. They probably set it a little firmer than they wanted. The riders I talked to that day said the horses were getting a hold of it fine. It was just a little harder. But it’s harder Polytrack; it’s not harder dirt.”

So, what does a handicapper do ? How do you keep up with how they maintain the track ? It sounds like putting wax on your ski's for how the snow is today on the slopes. Then maybe a horse likes his poly over easy, and hates it firm, who is to know ? How about shoes ? etc . There are so many grey areas that i have little confidence.

Tom
07-19-2007, 10:32 AM
And dirt is different?

Was it rolled, floated, sealed, harrowed clockwise, counter clockwise, did it rain, were the water trucks out......yadda yadda yadda.

Watch the results and don't worry about the whys. Look the mini track profile Big Mack posted for yesterday. If the first poly race runs the same, assume nothing has changed. If not, look at the horses and see if the results were predictable.

point given
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
And dirt is different?

Was it rolled, floated, sealed, harrowed clockwise, counter clockwise, did it rain, were the water trucks out......yadda yadda yadda.

Watch the results and don't worry about the whys. Look the mini track profile Big Mack posted for yesterday. If the first poly race runs the same, assume nothing has changed. If not, look at the horses and see if the results were predictable.

Some tracks list what the have done that day on their website. saratoga comes to mind.

What thread is it ? I'll look now. I wanted to view the replays from yesterday and they arenot available on brisbet.

Tom
07-19-2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37941

kenwoodallpromos
07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
No one believes real dirt can be set firmer; why believe DM or anyone else has control over rubber?LOL!!
I checked the PP's on the winners Wed- actuallty it was set up for class to prevail!!LOL!!
Run Forest Run kept running just like Forest Gump!!