PDA

View Full Version : LRL takeout -- 11.4% all bets for 10 days

GameTheory
07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Laurel Cuts Meet Takeout to 10% Across the Board

In a program billed “Ten Days at 10 Percent—Racing’s Best Bet,” pari-mutuel takeout on Maryland’s live races will be cut in half during Laurel Park’s 10-day summer meet that runs from Aug. 10-23.

The takeout will be 10% on all bets on all live races conducted at Laurel, plus the legislated percentage to be allocated to the Maryland Million Fund, resulting in a blended rate of approximately 11.4%.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=39811&source=rss

Now we're getting somewhere. That's all bets -- including exotics.

If only we could get 30-40 other tracks to follow suit and make it permanent, we'd be all set.

Zoocapper
07-18-2007, 01:31 PM
A move like this might actually get the people back into horse racing.

RXB
07-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Horseplayers put to the test. They asked for a lower takeout; they've got it in spades for two weeks at Laurel. Practically cut in half.

Now we'll see if it makes a big difference in handle or not. Going to have be a big jump to make up for the lost takeout. Anyone who's complained about the takeout rates should be focussing their betting on Lrl during that time.

cj
07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Much like the Ellis Park P4, I'll be supporting this on shore. The funny thing is, moves like this can put the off shore rebate shops that give nothing to the industry out of business.

GMB@BP
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Much like the Ellis Park P4, I'll be supporting this on shore. The funny thing is, moves like this can put the off shore rebate shops that give nothing to the industry out of business.

I am surprised they have not pulled Ellis Pick 4 and maybe Laurel off their menu

rrbauer
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
This is all a good start with the 4% takeout on P4 at Ellis and now the Laurel reduction. The problem is that one pool over one meet; or, all pools over a ten-day meet is pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I'll be at Saratoga for half of the Laurel meet so there goes part of that opportunity and some of those cheapo races at Ellis I wouldn't play with OPM let alone hookup three other races with them in a P4.

I think a better model for reduced takeout is Keeneland where ALL pools are under 20%, every day, every meet:
Win, place, and show: 16%
Pick 3, 4 and 6: 17%
All other wagers: 19%

In otherwords, the commitment has to be a two-way street: If these tracks want to see increased handle from the players then what they are offering up has to have some substance and extend beyond this short-term marketing-driven behavior. IMHO, that is.

GMB@BP
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Horseplayers put to the test. They asked for a lower takeout; they've got it in spades for two weeks at Laurel. Practically cut in half.

Now we'll see if it makes a big difference in handle or not. Going to have be a big jump to make up for the lost takeout. Anyone who's complained about the takeout rates should be focussing their betting on Lrl during that time.

agree, time to put up or shut up. This is a chance to show the true power of the player.

GMB@BP
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
This is all a good start with the 4% takeout on P4 at Ellis and now the Laurel reduction. The problem is that one pool over one meet; or, all pools over a ten-day meet is pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I'll be at Saratoga for half of the Laurel meet so there goes part of that opportunity and some of those cheapo races at Ellis I wouldn't play with OPM let alone hookup three other races with them in a P4.

I think a better model for reduced takeout is Keeneland where ALL pools are under 20%, every day, every meet:

In otherwords, the commitment has to be a two-way street: If these tracks want to see increased handle from the players then what they are offering up has to have some substance and extend beyond this short-term marketing-driven behavior. IMHO, that is.

its funny though how successful short term things end up making long term changes.

If it works and the states see increased revenues then you could see permanent changes.

GameTheory
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, the guy from Laurel is calling this an experiment to see if lowering takeout really will bring in business. If it does, then he will be inclined to repeat it in the future and others will be more willing to follow suit because the real evidence will be there. I'll betting every race and pool I can at Laurel as well as the P4 at Ellis. And at those rates making money shouldn't be too hard either, especially in the exotics...

BillW
07-18-2007, 03:53 PM

A novel thought a select few have had in the industry. Compete with the off shores rather that trying to get them outlawed. :jump:

levinmpa
07-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Laurel will be getting my support during their 10 day meeting. I've never been crazy about the Maryland circuit, but they've got my attention now. It's about freakin time a track did this, even if it's an "experiment".

trigger
07-18-2007, 05:40 PM

The "on shore" rebate shops would be out of business also.

Cangamble
07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I am the one responsible for this. Or at least I can pretend this was due to my blog post from June 28th.:D

trigger
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
18% rebate on Ellis P4; ~10% rebate at Laurel. Time to put up or shut up.

Kelso
07-18-2007, 10:52 PM

IMHO, that is.

I think a better model would be 11.4% accross the board at Keeneland ... sweetened by a 4% P4 at Keenleand.

It's in the interest of all horse players to support all EXPERIMENTS such as those at ELP and LRL ... even if it's with only a few bucks that one wouldn't otherwise bet there. It'll be new money to those tracks and that will help them to decide to make the EXPERIMENTS permanent.

Play the P4 at Ellis. Play Laurel in August. That doesn't prevent one from then playing only KEE when it's open.

IMHO, that is.

Cangamble
07-19-2007, 08:14 AM
It is hard for Canadians to support these great moves, though not impossible. I believe WEG has deals with most US companies like Youbet and Magna not to take Canadian clients, and then they won't take American customers. This isn't how capitalism is supposed to work:
BETTOR BEWARE

Ellis Park has a 4% takeout for their Win 4 bet. However, if you bet with WEG, you get the rip off takeouts. Todays Win 4 paid $1746.10 for $1 at Ellis Park, but only returned $1364.20 for lemmings who bet with WEG. So much for common pool wagering.

SMOO
07-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

A novel thought a select few have had in the industry. Compete with the off shores rather that trying to get them outlawed. :jump:

:ThmbUp:

1st time lasix
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I generally play the KY tracks where the takeout is less on exotics. Keeneland is my favorite place to play. I will continue to support the Pick 4 at Ellis and now i will play Laurel while playing Saratoga this August. Not sure my fifty bucks a race will matter .....but it is the principle that counts. I never play the tri/super pools at places like Calder. They are thieves.

Hosshead
07-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Good (temporary) news from Lrl. Time to support it.
But I hope it doesn't backfire on us.
Ten days is not much time to get the word out, then show a big change.

I hope the powers at Lrl. didn't have this motive in mind, so they can say, "see it didn't work".
In which case All tracks will use this as "evidence" NOT To Lower Takeout, and they'll be waving this "experiment" in our face for years.

Zman179
07-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Good (temporary) news from Lrl. Time to support it.
But I hope it doesn't backfire on us.
Ten days is not much time to get the word out, then show a big change.

I hope the powers at Lrl. didn't have this motive in mind, so they can say, "see it didn't work".
In which case All tracks will use this as "evidence" NOT To Lower Takeout, and they'll be waving this "experiment" in our face for years.

Exactly. This isn't just an experiment with lower takeouts, it's an experiment to see if WE will react.

Not sure my fifty bucks a race will matter

Of course it does. $50 a race X nine races X one hundred bettors = $45,000. Strength in numbers.

trigger
07-22-2007, 12:57 AM
http://www.troyrecord.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18608983&BRD=1170&PAG=461&dept_id=31001&rfi=6

jma
07-22-2007, 11:20 AM
The Laurel meet should actually be fun to bet too, with lots of turf races and large fields. Note I didn't say "easy", but it should at least offer some interesting races. Things really improved last fall with the expanded turf racing menu. :)