PDA

View Full Version : Snake Bit

betchatoo
07-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Not an important thread. More of an egocentric need to complain about the racing gods.
I don't think I had more than 2-3 horses disqualified over the last 2 years. A combination of good luck combined with the fact that I tend to favor speed horses. Now, in the last 10 days, I've had 5 horses DQ'd, including 1, if he had been allowed to stand, that would have given me the entire $8,800 pick 4 pool. Instead, this has caused my worst 10 day ROI in recent memory. Still, my 'capping has been pretty good, so I see no reason to take a respite. Like I said, just complaining.
Or maybe here's an argument for the computer vs. the paper and pen handicappers. What could I do differently to avoid having my horses interfere with another? If you come up with a winning solution I might be converted to your way of thinking

GaryG
07-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I went through exactly that in the late 70s when I lived in CA. Every time my horse finished 1st I started looking for the Inquiry sign. Talk about paranoid! Then one day at Del Mar I had a 6-1 shot "win" but the Inquiry sign went up. The horse stayed up and that was the end of it. I don't know what else to tell you but it had me really freaked out. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Wiley
07-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I've never done this, but couldn't you do a study of percentage disqualified overall, then break it down into specific categories ie by trainer, jockey, post position, track, running style etc. then use these numbers generated to use in a weighted average odds line or how much to bet for each type of race? You might find some jockey's are more prone to disqualification as an example. It probably turns out to be so insignificant as to not be worthwhile, but just a thought.

Or less work is to write it off to the racing Gods and assume if you bet long enough it will all even out. It's funny thinking about my own experiences over thirty years, disqualifications do seem to come in bunches both ways - positively and negatively.

ryesteve
07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
There aren't enough DQs to allow such an analysis to draw any reliable conclusions.

Tom
07-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I feel your pain, Bet....look at the bright side - you have nowhere to go but UP!:rolleyes:

The only thing I can think of for computers to prevent this is play only Trakus tracks, and use your cursor to fend off other "chicklets" down the stretch!;)

Wiley
07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
There aren't enough DQs to allow such an analysis to draw any reliable conclusions.
I thought it was a stretch. Thanks.

Zoocapper
07-18-2007, 05:02 PM
I feel your pain, Bet....look at the bright side - you have nowhere to go but UP!:rolleyes:

I used to think things would change, but I've come to realize that when the inquiry light goes on my number comes down. In the last 5 years I might have had one of these decisions go my way out of about 20. I know things should even out eventually, but I don't know that it will. There must be some bettors out there who have positive experiences with these???

betchatoo
07-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Make it 6 times in 12 days. When they disqualified the 4 horse in the 9th at Ellis, it cost me hitting the pick 4...3 times.
Bartender, I'll have a hemlock please.

kenwoodallpromos
07-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Bet only those who went 5 wide in their last race?
Do certain jockey get more DQ's?

Steve 'StatMan'
07-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Make it 6 times in 12 days. When they disqualified the 4 horse in the 9th at Ellis, it cost me hitting the pick 4...3 times.

6 DQ's in 12 days? Sheesh that's tough!

Are you betting a lot of turf races? I seem to recall more DQ's in Turf Races, or at least at AP a few years ago - seemes like when they turn for home in turf races (everywhere) and the 'real racing' begins, all hell can break loose, with horses with saved energy trying to move through holes (full, partial, and maybe slightly imaginary) to make the big move up to the front. All while the front runners might be tiring and essentially are backing up through the field at the same time.

betchatoo
07-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Just one of those streaks. Right now I feel I'd get a DQ if I bet a match race.

Good4Now
07-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I've had 'em come in three's. BUT six times??? Whoa!!!

That's 68.26% of the reason I walked away from playing California tracks.
Once the stewards get involved you just NEVER KNOW!

jotb
07-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Hello Betchatoo:

I hate so say this and I hope nobody will disagree with me but I think it's time for you to take a rest. This has to be extremely emotional and stressful to you right now and just maybe it's not your time to cash tickets. It happens to everyone whether it be your situation or the people that have long losing streaks. I would think 6 times in 12 days should be a record and put in the thoroughbred racing almanac. Take some time off and spend it with the family or just mess around with another hobby you might have. I know in the past this has helped me and when I come back, I seem to be more focused and confident.

Good luck and hang in there,
Joe

ezrabrooks
07-21-2007, 04:47 PM
In the 5th today at TDN, jockey Scott Spieth lodged a jockey's objection against the entry (that ran 1-2)....his objection was "collusion" (at least that is what I thought I heard...now I am questioning myself). Disallowed. Anybody ever heard that one?

Ez

Overlay
07-21-2007, 04:59 PM
In the 5th today at TDN, jockey Scott Spieth lodged a jockey's objection against the entry (that ran 1-2)....his objection was "collusion" (at least that is what I thought I heard...now I am questioning myself). Disallowed. Anybody ever heard that one?

Could that possibly have been "collision"?

ezrabrooks
07-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Could that possibly have been "collision"?

No, I watched the replay...no collision. And the objection was against the entry. You know a horse player in McAlister by the name of Joey?

Ez

Overlay
07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
No, I don't believe I've encountered him.

ezrabrooks
07-23-2007, 09:28 AM
O-lay,

I checked with TDN. They said it was the first time they had ever heard of that type of jockey's objection. "no collusion, just good race riding".

Ez

NY BRED
07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
[. What could I do differently to avoid having my horses interfere with another? If you come up with a winning solution I might be converted to your way of thinking[/QUOTE]

possibly playing the "A" tracks against b/c where horses are generally
running at cheaper prices, probably heavily medicated and jocks
aren't below the caliber at the better tracks.

Yes, playing grade A's can also lead to dq's but when you are playing
speed on better circuits, unless bumping occurs out of the gate, you should stand a better chance of avoiding the issues you currently are experiencing.

on the other hand, you did have a great run, but this game's peaks
rival the insane lows

LOL

ddog
07-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Keep playing.
DQ happen, so do bad breaks,trips,etc.
I just think of the times i have benefited from a DQ.

Can't control it so why worry?
Keep making your plays, you will have a big one go your way.

betchatoo
08-16-2007, 11:58 PM
On a happier note than this thread started; they just DQ'd the 6 horse at Canterbury which gave me a $3,866.40 pick 4 (plus a rebate from Ian)

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2007, 11:59 PM
On a happier note than this thread started; they just DQ'd the 6 horse at Canterbury which gave me a $3,866.40 pick 4 (plus a rebate from Ian)

Very nice!

chickenhead
08-17-2007, 12:18 AM
nice betchatoo!

ddog
08-17-2007, 01:10 AM
With all the chalk up there I saw for a couple of weeks I could never find anything worth playing.
That must be one of the larger P4 payouts at CBY this meet , nice job!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

nobeyerspls
08-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Not an important thread. More of an egocentric need to complain about the racing gods.
I don't think I had more than 2-3 horses disqualified over the last 2 years. A combination of good luck combined with the fact that I tend to favor speed horses. Now, in the last 10 days, I've had 5 horses DQ'd, including 1, if he had been allowed to stand, that would have given me the entire $8,800 pick 4 pool. Instead, this has caused my worst 10 day ROI in recent memory. Still, my 'capping has been pretty good, so I see no reason to take a respite. Like I said, just complaining.
Or maybe here's an argument for the computer vs. the paper and pen handicappers. What could I do differently to avoid having my horses interfere with another? If you come up with a winning solution I might be converted to your way of thinking

I still hold that this game is 50% handicapping, 50% money management, and zero percent luck. It's hard to defend that given your current streak but these things have a way of cancelling out. Sometimes it's not even a dq. I caught a tri I didn't desreve when the horse who missed third by a neck checked on the turn, losing several lengths before coming on again.
So the racing gods owe you some and I see from a later thread that they are starting to pay you back.

NIATROSS
08-17-2007, 10:58 AM

This happens to everyone sooner or later.You think you have been beat every way possible and a new one appears.

I was fortunate earlier this year to have one go my way when I had 20-1 moved up for the win enroute to $ 4400 P-4.

Keep firing.