PDA

View Full Version : Low-tech guy in a high-tech world

nobeyerspls
07-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I was a regular poster on here over a year and a half ago and then left because I knew nothing about pace handicapping. Since then I read some material on the subject and, while the approach is interesting, it is still not part of my handicapping.
I seem to be a low-tech guy in a high-tech world. I refuse to bet or watch the races online and the paper version of the Form is still fine with me. Heck, I refuse to get a cell phone. As surface handicapper, I thought the advent of polytrack would be the end of me but I found ways to adapt, even finding some useful angles from it.
The thread about no bickering is interesting, particularly the discussion about black boxes toward the end. Amazing. Buy some software, set some parameters, and then let the box select and wager for you. I guess you still have to call to transfer the winnings to your checking account but there has to be some work involved. If black boxes worked and became popular, would all winners pay $2.10?
The breeding end of the sport is well embedded in the greater fool theory. This diminishes the quality of stakes races but keeps the supply of horses strong. When the bubble bursts the slow move to virtual racing will accelerate. No live racing just virtual horses (the graphics will make them seem real) at virtual tracks with very low take out rates. Why not. No purses to pay, no jockeys or trainers involved, no stud fees, vet bills, or day rates. But that's a way down the road. Far enough for a low-tech guy like me to view it from tha big racetrack in the sky.