PDA

View Full Version : Evans is a disaster

ponypro
07-17-2007, 01:54 PM
"If you are in this business for personal gain or for ego with no comprehension of the magnificent, incredible nature of these animals, I don't think you should be in this business,"

This is a quote from Maggi Moss I found on the Internet. It sums up my view. This game is about the Horses and the love affair that all the people (with the exception of the suits) have

Lets Start at the bottom level, Grooms, Hot walkers exercise riders. Work unbelievabe hours for average money Why.they love the animals and the game. They would do it for free if someone fed and housed them which is pretty close to their situation.

Jockeys ,agents, only a select view make any money. Calvin Borel said he would do it for free. He loves the Animals

Trainers. Very few make any money,Most love the animals and the game.

Owners. 95% lose money.; They are major participants here. They love the magic of the animals and the game. Most would say its the toughest business in existence. Billions have been lost by very smart people who still wouldnt trade their win pictures.

Betters 95% lose money: I have found most handicappers to be very intelligent and consider this the maxium mental challange in the world. Its the ultimate puzzle so to speak.

The Horse business is full of some of the greatest people in the world from all walks of life.

So here you have a business FUELED by people in love with a magnificent animal who could care less about making money. There is no other business IN EXISTENCE that has these exact parameters and thats why you cant take MBA speadsheets and manage it. Its way way too complex and based in emotion. Bob Evans doesnt know this. He isnt enough of a people person and not smart enough to assimilate whats going on around him at all these different levels and motivations.

So Why would a Divisive personality like Bob Evans and his CPA techies have the right to declare that they have a mandate to make this game wildly profitable. Who gave them that mandate! What if Churchill Broke Even. Would all the people mentioned above be happy. You bet they would. THis is a self proclaimed mandate for he and his cronies own personal financial gain. He will resign under pressure and in disgrace after he totally f***ks things up. He is created more bad will in a short time than almost any CEO Ive seen . Imagine a COWARD who wont take any questions at a shareholder meeting. Bookmark this thread
and see if my 40 years in every aspect of this game count versus his 15 minutes of fame.

tomcalta
07-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Isnt Bob Evans a chain of breakfast fast-food restaurants in the mid-west?

Ron
07-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Isnt Bob Evans a chain of breakfast fast-food restaurants in the mid-west?

I've seen them in NY.

rastajenk
07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Bob Evans died a couple months ago.

the_fat_man
07-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Betters 95% lose money: I have found most handicappers to be very intelligent and consider this the maxium mental challange in the world. Its the ultimate puzzle so to speak.

Is that like being the 'ofishial speeling champeen'?

JustRalph
07-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Bob Evans died a couple months ago.

Bob..........

GaryG
07-17-2007, 05:02 PM
The Bob Evans pumpkin pie is hard to beat....mmmmm!!!!

trying2win
07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
PONYPRO:

Have you sent an email to Bob Evans at Churchill Downs expressing your views and offering him suggestions on how to run a horse race operation properly? If not, why not?

~"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing".

--George Bernard Shaw

Indulto
07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Why are some posters here separating Evans from the CDI board members that hired him (and also stand to profit from improved stock performance) in evaluating CDI's impact on the sport/game/business/industry?

Wouldn't you think they had something like his actions in mind before they hired him?

kenwoodallpromos
07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
So are 95% supporting the few who are making money? Who is making the money?
I see no mention of the money made by breeders and by executives. How much are they losing? Stonach made $400 million. TC and BC winning owners seem to make a profit when their horses are sold for breeding. Somebody made money off The Green Monkey.
If the top small % of trainers, jockeys, breeders, owners, execs, handicappers make good moiney, it sort of sounds like a blue-blood sport and the rest are just giving free stall space, free morning exercise, allowing tracks to break even!LOL!!
No wonder Thoroughbred Times reports "All About Purses" keeps saying the top winning horses make almost all of the money!!LOL!!
60% for win, 20% for place, crumbs for the rest?

Grits
07-17-2007, 05:33 PM
PONYPRO:

Have you sent an email to Bob Evans at Churchill Downs expressing your views and offering him suggestions on how to run a horse race operation properly? If not, why not?

I can't answer for Ponypro, and since I've had much to say about Evans and Churchill, maybe I should state that yes, . . . I did do that . . . exactly that.

And in my correspondence I suggested that he go online and read Pace Advantage and other horseracing websites if he wanted to be enlightened as to what horseplayers were thinking. He would be in a position to learn a great deal.

I received a form letter back from "Bob."

On the other hand, my experience with Ted Mudge, Pres.of Brisbet was quite a different one. He knows the product and he knows bettors.

Grits
07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Why are some posters here separating Evans from the CDI board members that hired him (and also stand to profit from improved stock performance) in evaluating CDI's impact on the sport/game/business/industry?

Wouldn't you think they had something like his actions in mind before they hired him?

Indeed, board members wrote the contract. And I find them, as you say, in the same boat with Evans, as his 350,000 shares of stock and options are based on his performance to a great extent.

Like I said from the start of this, Evans and Churchill, ie-shareholders--are looking out for Churchill, not anyone else.

kenwoodallpromos
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
"At every level, competition for purse money is fierce, and many ... owners operate on an international scale, with far greater resources to bring to bear than Karakorum."