PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up "Favorites" to CD ?

Hosshead
07-16-2007, 04:54 AM
When I had my old Plextor CD burner, I had no problem backing up the "My Favorites" folder to burn on a CD.

Now that I have replaced it with a Plextor DVD/CD burner (and have an even longer list of favs), when I try to burn "MY Favorites" to a CD, (as it goes to each url link) it says that there are too many characters, not the right kind of characters etc. in the description/names/labels that they were saved under.

How do I get around this? I never had this problem before, and there are way too many of them to change.

I don't know which settings to use on the new Plextor, OR whether
any of the possible settings on my new burner has anything to do with this at all. BUT:

When I click on "Plex Tools Professional" it has a page with several options for Plextor settings under CD/DVD Maker.

They are:
1. Character Set
2. ISO Level
3. View Mode
4. Volume Identifier Options
5 BOX - Allow Joliet File System - This box is checked
6. BOX - Allow more than 64 characters - This box is checked

Here are the options for Numbers 1. thru 4.
1. Character Set
__A. ISO 9660
__B. DOS
__C. ASCll

2. ISO Level
__A. Level 1 (8+3 Characters)
__B. Level 2 31 Characters

3. View Mode
__A. Selected Character Set
__B. Joliet

4. Volume Identifier Options
__A. Default (NEW_VOLUME)
__B. User Defined

Since I don't know what these options mean:
Are there certain options I can set, that will allow me to burn the "My Favorites" to CD.

Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks, --Hoss (WinXP)

K9Pup
07-21-2007, 08:19 AM
When I had my old Plextor CD burner, I had no problem backing up the "My Favorites" folder to burn on a CD.

Now that I have replaced it with a Plextor DVD/CD burner (and have an even longer list of favs), when I try to burn "MY Favorites" to a CD, (as it goes to each url link) it says that there are too many characters, not the right kind of characters etc. in the description/names/labels that they were saved under.

2. ISO Level
__A. Level 1 (8+3 Characters)
__B. Level 2 31 Characters

Just a guess, but which level are you using on this option? I would think that level 1 either doesn't understand longer file names or tries to convert those longer names to 8.3 naming. Level 2 should understand and use the longer names.

JustRalph
07-21-2007, 12:49 PM
what browser?

If explorer, just go into the file menu,

choose " import export"

export your favorites to a bookmark file on your desktop or where-ever you want to put them. then burn that file to cd. if you ever need it back, just import it back by copying the file back to your desktop and choosing "import" to restore it.............

the bookmark file can be opened like any other htm document and you can manipulate it into programs etc...........fyi

Hosshead
07-21-2007, 11:16 PM
what browser?

If explorer, just go into the file menu,

choose " import export"

export your favorites to a bookmark file on your desktop or where-ever you want to put them. then burn that file to cd. if you ever need it back, just import it back by copying the file back to your desktop and choosing "import" to restore it.............

the bookmark file can be opened like any other htm document and you can manipulate it into programs etc...........fyi
It worked!
Got the bookmarked file burned to CD.

When it "exported" to my desktop, I'm assuming that it "copied" to desktop, rather than "moved" to desktop?
In which case I can now Delete it from my desktop?
Thanks, Hoss (IE6)

OTM Al
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes, its just a generated copy. There once was a file in the browser folder called bookmarks.htm, but it seems that the newer browsers, IE and Netscape (which has gotten so bad I don't use it anymore) the info is stored in some other way

Hosshead
07-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Yes, its just a generated copy.
Thanks, I'll just delete from my desktop.
---- Hoss

KyRacer
07-23-2007, 06:40 PM
If you're using Firefox, it does backup the bookmarks, but it's hard to find. Go to Tools, then Folder Options, then View, then click the the "Show hidden files" button.

Next go to c:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\My Documents\FireFoxBookmarkBackUP\bookmarks.html

See if that works on your computer. Seems like a funny place to hide it, but it backs it up each day. I read about this procedure from an article somewhere online. Maybe at Cnet. I hope I remember it right.

You can also search your computer for the word 'bookmark". It found it on my computer that way, but I believe you must have "Show hidden files" activated.

You might also consider online storeage. I found this site "mozy.com" last week. They offer 2 GB of free online storage and have a program that downloads to your computer that will backup important files , that you select, each day or week. It seems secure and is working ok so far for me, but you have to decide about security for yourself.

DJofSD
07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
If the browser is FF, here's an article about a utility I endorse. (http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozBackup) I've used it a number of times to migrate to a new machine -- works like a champ.