PDA

View Full Version : Ship of Fools: The Neocon Cruise Ship

Secretariat
07-15-2007, 07:13 PM
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2766040.ece

Ship of fools: Johann Hari sets sail with America's swashbuckling neocons
The Iraq war has been an amazing success, global warming is just a myth – and as for Guantanamo Bay, it's practically a holiday camp... The annual cruise organised by the 'National Review', mouthpiece of right-wing America, is a parallel universe populated by straight-talking, gun-toting, God-fearing Republicans.

By Johann Hari
Published: 13 July 2007

I am standing waist-deep in the Pacific Ocean, both chilling and burning, indulging in the polite chit-chat beloved by vacationing Americans. A sweet elderly lady from Los Angeles is sitting on the rocks nearby, telling me dreamily about her son. "Is he your only child?" I ask. "Yes," she says. "Do you have a child back in England?" she asks. No, I say. Her face darkens. "You'd better start," she says. "The Muslims are breeding. Soon, they'll have the whole of Europe."

A lot of you guys will love this.

Stuff like this:

"Now that this barrier has been broken – everyone agrees the Muslims are devouring the French, and everyone agrees it's funny – the usual suspects are quickly rounded up. Jimmy Carter is "almost a traitor". John McCain is "crazy" because of "all that torture". One of the Park Avenue ladies declares that she gets on her knees every day to " thank God for Fox News". As the wine reaches the Floridian, he announces, "This cruise is the best money I ever spent." "

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM
"You'd better start," she says. "The Muslims are breeding. Soon, they'll have the whole of Europe."

Weird. It's not only white folks who think like this. Darker folks also think like this. I've read it myself on some of those websites others accuse me of never opening my mind to....in fact, on one of those sites, there was someone posting that although the recent immigration legislation had failed, whites have "stopped having babies" while at the same time Mexicans and others "looking to reclaim their land" continue to "outbaby" white folks. Thus, eventually, they will have the numbers to take back "their land."

GaryG
07-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Hari has interviewed Hugo Chavez and is an open supporter of his regime....so there goes any credibility....as usual.

Tom
07-15-2007, 07:52 PM
The most popular new baby name in England is Mohamed.
Says a lot.

The terrorists never had such a friend as they have in Sec and his kind.

Greyfox
07-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Independent of the leanings of the author, the article was well written and I'd like to see more of that style of reporting in my local rag.

Tom
07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I read - I was not impressed in the least.
Biased writting, one man's opinion.

I don't mind reading opinions of people I respect, but this dog aint one.
I'll take George Will anyday.

robert99
07-16-2007, 11:08 AM
The most popular new baby name in England is Mohamed.
Says a lot.

The terrorists never had such a friend as they have in Sec and his kind.

Tom,

Says a lot about how gullible you are.

Mohammed is number 22, in 2006.
Thomas is number 2 - now I am scared (not really).
There are also 3 (m's) in the name. There aren't any "Mohameds".
Sorry to interrupt your delusions again with facts, rather than condoning your blind prejudice.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/naming/topnames2006/#4

chickenhead
07-16-2007, 11:19 AM
22. Mohammed
44. Muhammad
69. Mohammad

no wonder Tom doesn't know how to spell it, neither do they, apparently.

If you add all those together I wonder how highly it actually ranks, quite a lot higher than 22. Sorry to interrupt your delusions with facts.

robert99
07-16-2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.bounty.com/babynames/topnamesformonth.asp?btyCurrentPage=1

Latest names list for June 2007.
Mohammed etc disappears - (long term plot to go under cover?).
Thomas drops to number 3.
In 1510, Thomas at number 2 - perhaps we should be worried if change keeps happening at this pace.

http://www.real-baby-names.com/popular-uk/boys-1100.html

Delusion that muslims are taking over UK/England/Europe etc - nil.
Polish catholics - more chance but negligible.

Tom
07-16-2007, 12:41 PM
no wonder Tom doesn't know how to spell it, neither do they, apparently.

I know how to spell.
I am a lousy typist.

My spellich is just fane, thank you. ;)

JustRalph
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
What about "H...........enry" ?

Peter Noone used to live next door to one broad that was married to a "enry" 7 different times...............before she met him?

She wouldn't have a "Willie" or a "Sam"?

JustRalph
07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
What about "H...........enry" ?

Peter Noone used to live next door to one broad that was married to a "enry" 7 different times...............before she met him?

She wouldn't have a "Willie" or a "Sam"?

chickenhead
07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
If you add all those together I wonder how highly it actually ranks, quite a lot higher than 22. Sorry to interrupt your delusions with facts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1890354.ece

Muhammad is now second only to Jack as the most popular name for baby boys in Britain and is likely to rise to No 1 by next year, a study by The Times has found. The name, if all 14 different spellings are included, was shared by 5,991 newborn boys last year, beating Thomas into third place, followed by Joshua and Oliver.

Those are the facts, jack. You appear massively ill-informed, Roberto. Or massively gullible, at least. BTW, many of those names have Muhammad with 2 M's, so both of your corrections to Tom were incorrect. :lol:

GaryG
07-16-2007, 03:25 PM
The Imam of Canterbury? Westminister Mosque?