PDA

View Full Version : A Good Announcer

how cliche
07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
There have been a lot of threads about bad track announcers over the years. I was flipping the channels this afternoon anxiously awaiting my spot play at Vallejo to run and I caught two races at Arlington Park. That fellow is really exiting to listen to. I don't know much about the man, even his name. I thought he was quite compelling though.

Overlay
07-15-2007, 07:13 PM
His name is John G. Dooley. (He's been mentioned in previous threads on PA.) From the Arlington Park website:

ARLINGTON ANNOUNCER ATTRACTS FLORIDA FAN TO CHICAGO

Arlington Park’s increasingly popular announcer John G. Dooley achieved a new level of “niche” celebrity in late June when a South Florida Thoroughbred racing fan flew up from the Sunshine State on a one-day trip – just for the chance to meet Dooley while seeing Arlington Park for the first time.

“I always try to give racing fans a little extra by being entertaining as well as accurate when I describe the running of a race,” said Dooley, “but having someone fly to Chicago for one day just for the chance to meet me – I considered that really as an honor.

“Fortunately, when he came up to the announcer’s booth and looked at the view of the racecourse and the Chicago skyline in the background, I think it was the beauty of the Arlington facility that made his trip special, and I think I was more grateful for having been given the chance to introduce him to Arlington Park.”

bigmack
07-15-2007, 08:39 PM
What a fitting replacement for the great Phil Georgeff in the likes of JG Dooley. He feels Chicago as much as Georgeff, Carey & Brickhouse.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I like Dooley a lot myself (in fact, I tend to like most announcers these days...I'm mellowing with age).

However, if he uses the word "ROBUST" one more time, I think I'm going to have a fit.

BeatTheChalk
07-15-2007, 09:14 PM
What a fitting replacement for the great Phil Georgeff in the likes of JG Dooley. He feels Chicago as much as Georgeff, Carey & Brickhouse.

There will really NEVER be a real replacement for PG ...
"""" here they come .....SINNNNNNNNNNNNNIG OUT OF THE TURN **** :lol:

gIracing
07-16-2007, 12:20 AM
dooley's one of the best.. but he definatly has a diagramed race call.

"hi draw"
"robust"
"the quarter...22 and ..."

but the excitement he ads...

Better than listening to MB over at turfway for an entire9 card call.

FOOOOOOOR THHHHHHHHHHHE LEAD.....IN THE INSIDE THERE....GOOESSSSSSSS

Get IT OUT ALREADY!

cnollfan
07-16-2007, 02:34 AM
I like Dooley too. Clear, accurate, excited without going overboard.

v j stauffer
07-16-2007, 06:42 AM
I think John Dooley is a first rate announcer, Very technically sound. Steps it up for big races when the time is right. Never phones in a call. One of the very best in the business. Stand up guy too. I really enjoy listening to his work.

rrbauer
07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
I like Dooley a lot myself (in fact, I tend to like most announcers these days...I'm mellowing with age).

However, if he uses the word "ROBUST" one more time, I think I'm going to have a fit.

He uses in place of "spinning out of the turn" which was Georgeff's trade mark.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2007, 09:00 AM
I for one hate to get too technically critical of an announcer but "Robust" ain't no "Spinning out of the turn"

Every time he says it I can't help but think of salad dressing....

levinmpa
07-16-2007, 10:33 AM
I've been very impressed with Dooley. Arlington's TV production team does a great job of picking up the crowd noise. When the field turns for home, the excitement in Dooley's voice picks up, while at the same time the crowd noise increases. It makes for very exciting stretch calls. It reminds me of the days when there were huge on track crowds. When I hear an Arlington race on TVG, I always take notice.

TravisVOX
07-16-2007, 10:58 AM
The crowd noise is dubbed in...

jballscalls
07-16-2007, 01:16 PM

My favorite is when its a rainy day at Arlington, and the crowd is just as excited as normal, and then they show the shot from inside the infield and the stands are empty and everyone is inside staying dry LOL

TravisVOX
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
If you listen closely, you can hear John relay the top four finishers and the time for the mile of the race it was recorded on...

gIracing
07-16-2007, 04:50 PM

It is :(

It's like you just told me there is no Santa Claus

TravisVOX
07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Wait a minute -- Santa isn't real?

bigmack
07-16-2007, 05:28 PM
You mean it's dubbed in from a previous race? They have a 6f for a 6f and mile for a mile? If that's true it's an awfully cheesy thing for AP to be doing.

BillW
07-16-2007, 05:32 PM
You mean it's dubbed in from a previous race? They have a 6f for a 6f and mile for a mile? If that's true it's an awfully cheesy thing for AP to be doing.

I've been keeping my eye on the TVG job openings for "coconut clomper". I've seen the Holy Grail and I can do that! :jump:

TravisVOX
07-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Yes, it's a dubbed sound. If you can ever catch the feed, listen closely to the crowd after the race and you'll hear John Dooley give the results for the race in which the sound was recorded.

I don't necessarily disagree with it... I'm a fan of the hooves sound during the BC, the crowd etc., gets my blood pumping.

bigmack
07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with it... I'm a fan of the hooves sound during the BC, the crowd etc., gets my blood pumping.
I too am a big fan of the ambient sound of the hoofs and an enthusiast crowd - when it's live. Dubbed in to a live sports call is silly. It ain't a sitcom.

I've been keeping my eye on the TVG job openings for "coconut clomper". I've seen the Holy Grail and I can do that! :jump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mxz3lVNmE

Steve 'StatMan'
07-16-2007, 06:03 PM
They've been doing it for years. Using that, plus very amplified sounds. Although attendance has gotten MUCH better so far this year - I finally made it out to AP on Fri & Sun, real good compared to past years, though fans mostly fill the apron & the park area, plenty of seats still in the grandstand.

Think the sound might be new this year-sounded different this year, a little more muffled, hopefully sounds like a herd on the poly.

AP & HAW, both uses sounds or a sound machine. Hooves sound same, turf & dirt, wet or dry at HAW. One day at HAW they goofed. Peter Galasi says "They all in-ready for the start", and the sound started early-the bell rang and the hooves were sounding, but the horses were still in the gate, little delay with a balking horse, so Peter with some great dry humor says "Not Yet."

Now that the crowd noise & Santa Claus are out of the bag, AP's National Anthem has been pre-recorded/lip synched for many years now, although they often put on a nice, classic patriotic display.

Zman179
07-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes, it's a dubbed sound. If you can ever catch the feed, listen closely to the crowd after the race and you'll hear John Dooley give the results for the race in which the sound was recorded.

You're absolutely right. I was wondering one day how Dooley could make two separate announcements at once. Then again, Arlington is cheesier than Kraft.

Bob G
07-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Just like the starting crew gate noise and race hoofbeats were dubbed in at Hollywood (I don't know if they still are because I don't bet Hollywood anymore).

gIracing
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=neQjyzTthtU

THAT'S what horse racing should model itself after. i watch that every day. Might be the, at least to me, single most blood boiling race I have ever seen in my life.

Greyfox
07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
My two favorite track announcers are Trevor D and Luke K.

Having said that Phil Liggett of the Tour de France is someone that any horse racing announcer could learn from. Excitement, excitement, excitement.

jma
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I thought everyone knew they dubbed in the crowd? Well, it's cheesy, but sort of their trademark now. I agree with the original premise---Dooley is an excellent announcer. I like when he says my horse is being "produced", though more often they're "one paced". :)

Pace Cap'n
07-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Please, please tell me Bonny is for real.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Please, please tell me Bonny is for real.

:D

Yes, Bonny is definitely for real! So are Lauren, Zoe & Liane!

http://www.arlingtonparkstore.com/

Marlin
07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
My two favorite track announcers are Trevor D and Luke K.

Having said that Phil Liggett of the Tour de France is someone that any horse racing announcer could learn from. Excitement, excitement, excitement.Spot on! Phil and Paul are awesome! "And Cancellara has gone off the front!" - Paul Sherwin Stage 2. I love those guys.

jognlope
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah I like him and like the way they let all the crowd yelling and cheering in, and the pounding hooves, it is exciting at Arlington.

ElegantHorse
07-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, Dooley's good.

I also enjoy listening to the guy from Maryland (Rodman?)

Don't get me started on Bonny. After she plays her tune, she is waving to me isn't she?