PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Youbet Not Compatible With Firefox?

Nickle
07-14-2007, 05:05 PM
A major browser

BillW
07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
A major browser

They use proprietary website design tools (Microsoft) rather than complying with standards.

Tom
07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Major conecern.
Website that only permit IE are ptting thier customers at needless risk.
UB's biggest drawback, IMHO.....lack of respect for it's users.

Nickle
07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
maybe they will make it work some day, I know no work around.

BillW
07-14-2007, 05:16 PM
maybe they will make it work some day, I know no work around.

There isn't one - FF complies with the published standard. I only use them when I have to (My laptop is the only computer I have that runs windows)

Premier Turf Club
07-14-2007, 05:16 PM
A major browser

It was a pain in the ass for us to write something that works with every browser. Not trying to blow our own horn, but most ADWs don't see the benefit to spending the time and money to do so.

A lot of it is mindset. We see ourselves fundamentally as a technology platform for horseplayers as opposed to an ADW that happens to have a website.

BillW
07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Major conecern.
Website that only permit IE are ptting thier customers at needless risk.
UB's biggest drawback, IMHO.....lack of respect for it's users.

I tried to explain that to my bank when they first came out with their on-line banking. It's OK to allow it but force me to use IE? :rolleyes:

Robert Fischer
07-14-2007, 05:37 PM
try it with netscape

Gibbon
07-14-2007, 06:08 PM
"....I know no work around."
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Ron
07-14-2007, 06:11 PM
A major browser

You could try contacting Youbet.

Youbet.com
07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
We are working on Firefox compatibility right now. It will available in the very near future.

Dan
Youbet.com

BIG RED
07-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Dan, I have heard this for to long. Youbet has been saying this forever.

I can't stand IE. The only reason I use it is for Youbet.
Please!! Get errrrr done.

Cangamble
07-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Woodbine's internet betting doesn't work with Mozilla either.

Nickle
07-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks Danny, let us know when.

michiken
07-15-2007, 10:52 AM
'They are working on alternative browser code'. I am NOT holding my breath.

Firefox is not compatible because it relies too much on IE's visual basic Craptive X controls. These controls are the main threat to your computer security because they can be attacked by malware, spyware and viruses.

If Youbet had some smarts, they could spend some time learning Python, Perl, Ruby or PHP to do some cgi like brisbet, HOS and others use. I know a few good coders in India :eek:

Robert Fischer
07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
on netscape if right-click a page it gives you the option(Display like Firefox Ctrl-shft-e) to view in different browser styles like firefox, IE, etc without as much vulnerabilities. Try it.

Youbet.com
07-27-2007, 09:30 AM
For all Firefox users...

I'm happy to report that Youbet.com now supports Firefox!

xtb
07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I was all excited until I tried it and it hangs when loading the tracklist. Cookies are enabled. Any thoughts?

FF version 2.0.0.5
I get a Error popup that says "oContestNodes is not defined". click "OK" and it still hangs.

KyRacer
07-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I get the exact same problem as xtb.

candystripes
07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Guys, unfortunately we did experience some minor hickups this morning with our Beta Firefox product.

The issue has been resolved. Please try again after clearing your cache and cookies (Tools/Clear Private Data on Firefox).

Thanks,

Ruben

xtb
07-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks Ruben! Everything seems to work now except the video, which is my problem. I'll probably have to live with that since I won't upgrade from Windows 2000 and the Firefox plugin is for XP/Vista.

BillW
07-28-2007, 03:07 PM
All seems to work fine on initial inspection, on FF running on Linux. Thanks Ruben.

xtb
07-28-2007, 05:59 PM
One thing strange I noticed is that with IE, the max number of tracks I can have up at one time (in one browser) is, and always has been, 8. With FF, yesterday I had 11 and today it allows me to have 9.

PaceAdvantage
07-29-2007, 02:03 AM
I can have at least 11 tracks at once in IE....it all depends upon your screen resolution setting, I believe....

spilparc
07-29-2007, 04:30 AM
When I use YouBet with IE I can have a maximum of seven tracks. The video is awful, and the wager pad takes forever to come up and often just crashes the system.

With Firefox YouBet looks completely different. I haven't bet with it yet, but the current odds don't show up next to the morning line like it does with IE.

You the look and feel is entirely different.

spilparc
07-29-2007, 04:52 AM
OK, now I got it too look right, but in order to do that the font is very tiny on all of my other pages. If I don't change the font size I won't be able to see the buttons at the top of the page for toggling back and forth between races.

I'd like to be able to just adjust the font for that one page, but I don't think that's possible with FireFox.

I'll know tomorrow if the odds show up and if the wager pad works any better.

bigmack
07-29-2007, 05:00 AM
The video is awful, and the wager pad takes forever to come up and often just crashes the system.
If I recall correctly that's about the fifth thing that you've tried to do with your compute and posted that it crashed. Sounds like either a sub-par system or a loose screw in front of the keyboard :rolleyes:

FYI: Text size can be changed in FurFox via View/TextSize

spilparc
07-29-2007, 05:46 AM
If I recall correctly that's about the fifth thing that you've tried to do with your compute and posted that it crashed. Sounds like either a sub-par system or a loose screw in front of the keyboard :rolleyes:

FYI: Text size can be changed in FurFox via View/TextSize

My computer is brand new, but thanks for the help.

xtb
07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I can have at least 11 tracks at once in IE....it all depends upon your screen resolution setting, I believe....

Thanks for the tip. I just believed the pop-up that always said:
"You can only check up to 8 tracks at once. Please uncheck n tracks."
Now if I maximize the window I can check 12 tracks at 1280 x 1024, then shrink it after they're selected and scroll.

spilparc
07-29-2007, 02:04 PM
So far YouBet works infinitely better with FireFox. It loads five to ten times faster, and the wagering pad works much better.

But I can't see any videos. It asked me to download a FireFox plugin, which I did, but when I try to watch a race I get the following:

Unable to show video: click for detail:

Windows Media Player cannont find the file. If you are trying to play, burn or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed or deleted [-1072885353]

Does anybody know what this is all about?

Nickle
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I can log in but then see nothoing, it just keeps loading with a blank page

JimG
07-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks to YouBet for finally making your service compatible with Firefox. Now, I will use it more.

Jim

Nickle
07-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Does i actually work? I kno no one that has it working right

JimG
07-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Does i actually work? I kno no one that has it working right

I've been using all afternoon with my firefox browser with no problem.

Nickle
07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Jimmy

I gave up on it, all I get are error messages with firefox

spilparc
07-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks Jimmy

I gave up on it, all I get are error messages with firefox

Did you try deleting the cache and cookies? I can get YouBet up and running, but there is absolutely no video. I get video on IE.

I tried deleting Windows Media 11, but it won't let you delete it--only roll-back to a previous version. So I did that and then reinstalled Media 11, but still no video. I keep getting the same error message as in my above post.

Tom
07-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I only get 1X and full screen sze options on FF.
1x is too small to see and full screen is crappy, fuzzy, worthless.

I think You Bet should dinf out what vieo BRIS uses - it is FAR superior to what YB is using, and adjsutable picture,too.

spilparc
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I get video and sound now. Here is what I did. I shut everything down. I ran CrapCleaner, RegCure and defraged all of my drives. (RegCure is a registry utiltiy fixer-upper that I run frequently.)

I get the video, but the whole platform is so slow that if I don't bet five minutes ahead of time I'll probably get shut out. The video takes forever, is spotty, and just plain sucks--but at least it's there.

Now this could be my Internet connection. I'm currently on an Ethernet cable, but it's never been this slow before.

Early yesterday morning, I was playing the races in England and the video was working pretty good on IE.

So I'm getting somewhere, but not exactly where I want to be.

NoCal Boy
07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record and hopefully someone from Youbet can come on here and explain how the video works, but I am watching Los Alamitos now and it is working very well. One of the techies should simply come on and explain how it all works and how it can work perfectly fine for most but terrible for some.

Tom
07-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Ditto that - as of today, I can't get any video on either IE or FF.
Way to go, YB!
What I want to know is why is YB the only one on the web unable to provide video to it's customers?
I have never had trouble gettibg video from any of the REAL sevice providers.
Just these rank amatures, who cannot even staff the joint with enough people to answer the phones. First class outfit.......NOT!

Ron
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I think youbet is knocking out video on a case by case, based on member's comments here. My video works fine and always has. :lol:

Tom
07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I stood up for them this past week.
That will never happen again!

Bottom line, they area unable to deliver thier basic product to all thier cutomers. This is gross incompetance.

Nickle
07-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I think it is Norton Virus but have no clue what to do

I can log in and then screen flashes off when laoding and goes blank

spilparc
07-31-2007, 01:36 AM
I think it is Norton Virus but have no clue what to do

I can log in and then screen flashes off when laoding and goes blank

I can get the video to come up--sometimes. When it does though, it spits and sputters and freezes up. It will show the start of the race and then freeze and it might come back on when the race is over. Sometimes I get sound, and sometimes I don't. This is exactly how it acted back about 1995 when I tried it with AOL.

I called YouBet today and they told me to call back tomorrow and talk to a tech guy. She seemed to think it was a problem that could be solved.

We'll see.

docicu3
07-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Now can we talk about Mac Products and Youbet. My laptop has never been able to access YOUBET as you probably have surmised due to the SAFARI browser it runs on.

Thoughts?