PDA

View Full Version : "If you were racing czar" Thread:

kenwoodallpromos
07-14-2007, 03:48 PM
05-14-2007, 04:08 PM #21
kenwoodallpromos

vCash: 3600 My stuff:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Allow dirt runners to run as turf maidens.

kenwoodallpromos
07-14-2007, 03:56 PM
05-14-2007, 04:08 PM #21
kenwoodallpromos

3) Allow dirt runners to run as turf maidens.

Kelso
07-14-2007, 10:34 PM

That's what impresses me most about this site ... members who pack of lot of clout in the racing industry. Well done, Ken!

(Uh, where are "Extreme Races" run, anyway? Do they include Bikini Sprints?)

gIracing
07-15-2007, 01:31 AM
when is this?

Overlay
07-15-2007, 01:43 AM
July 22 at Canterbury Downs

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=39759

kenwoodallpromos
07-15-2007, 07:03 AM
If I had clout I would get the credit for it!!LOL!! Like I said before, I believe some in the racing industry read PA's forum!

098poi
07-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Canterbury Park will feature several "extreme" races during its program July 22, including “The Battle of the Surfaces,” a pari-mutuel race that will feature as many as 20 horses competing against each other on the turf and the dirt simultaneously.

The two starting gates for the 1 1/16-mile event, staggered so that the race distance is the same for both the grass and the dirt, will open in unison with the horses racing around the main track and the turf course and finishing at the same finish line in front of the grandstand. Each horse will be an individual betting interest with win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, and superfecta wagering offered. The order of finish will be determined by best finish position regardless of the surface the horse is racing on. It is possible to have an exacta payoff comprised of a horse racing on the turf and a horse racing on the dirt.

The brainchild of Eric Halstrom, Canterbury’s vice president of racing, “The Battle of the Surfaces” will be the first race of its kind. “Everything is in place to make this work,” said Halstrom. “We have sufficient manpower in the starting gate and photo-finish equipment capable of accurately determining the finish order. 'The Battle of the Surfaces' will make for an exciting race and a unique wagering opportunity that fits perfectly into our extreme race day theme,” he said.

This sounds interesting but also dangerous. I don't know the layout there but I hope that none of the horses gets spooked :eek: or confused by the ones on the other track and runs into a fence or something!

The Judge
07-15-2007, 09:06 AM
No quetions some of the ideas that we talk about on here get legs in the industry. Remember "Breederscup Needs More Races" well now we will have two days of races on BC day. There have been others.

They may have been ratteling some of these ideas in the back of their head but reading it here gets them off the dime. Of course in some instances they find the "dime" on this forum.

Good4Now
07-15-2007, 09:19 AM
last year or year before. Rain came and they had to cancel the turf races.
I think they even had one carded for the turf " to be run CLOCKWISE ".

Here's to sunny skies and FAST / FIRM surfaces!

Bruddah
07-15-2007, 09:45 AM
this sounds dangerous and ludicrous. I hope not and hope all ends well. (JMHO) :ThmbUp:

cj
07-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Box all the horses on turf that look like contenders I would think, barring rain.

jma
07-15-2007, 10:49 AM
last year or year before. Rain came and they had to cancel the turf races.
I think they even had one carded for the turf " to be run CLOCKWISE ".

Here's to sunny skies and FAST / FIRM surfaces!

Not that it's a big deal, but Calder was going to run two simultaneous races, one on turf and one on dirt, with two separate betting pools. This is all one big race, with half the horses on the turf and half on the dirt.

kenwoodallpromos
07-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Not that it's a big deal, but Calder was going to run two simultaneous races, one on turf and one on dirt, with two separate betting pools. This is all one big race, with half the horses on the turf and half on the dirt.
Last year's extreme turfers were run on the dirt I believe. Clockwise maybe not.