PDA

View Full Version : Wind storms in No. Nevada?

so.cal.fan
12-15-2002, 01:45 PM
I know we have a couple of forumites from this Reno area.
Just saw on the news that the area is getting hit hard by really high wind storms.
Hope you guys don't lose power or worse..........:(

Rick
12-15-2002, 02:39 PM
socal,

I didn't lose power but a lot of people did. The sign on part of the famous Reno Arch that says "The Biggest Little City in the World" was blown off by the wind. The 82 mph gusts here were the highest recorded ever. I had everything stocked up in advance and stayed inside yesterday. We got a light snow early this morning but it's gone now. But, there may be more on the way. My cat Sabrina was highly amused by the white stuff.

Bob Harris
12-15-2002, 04:20 PM
I was without power off and on thruout the afternoon and then from 8pm to 11:30 pm...my little guys thought it was fun living by candlelight and the trampoline was still in the backyard when I got up this morning so all is well!!

Rick
12-15-2002, 04:39 PM
Bob,

Yeah campin' out is fun. No problem. When my patio table lost all four legs at once I decided it was time to take it inside. Nothing broken, just all of the legs came out. Can't figure out how that happened. Also, most of my neighbor's outdoor Christmas decorations were deposited in a neat pile outside my door yesterday morning. Maybe it was the newspaper delivery guy who arranged them but it sure looked strange.

Bob Harris
12-15-2002, 05:05 PM
Rick,

My neighborhood association has a Christmas decoration award every year...the guy who won last year went all out again this year...he and his wife were outside for 3 days straight putting everything up...he's got 1 reindeer and a couple of strings of lights still on his house...the rest of it was all over the road this morning...as storms go, it was a doozy!

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2002, 05:41 PM
A friend of ours who is house sitting for her parents for 6 months, accidently locked the bottom lock on her front door for which she has no key. (She always enters the house through the garage.)

Anyway, when the power failed she could not get into the garage and, hence, into the house. She spent the night with us last night and we watched movies until midnight.

Our biggest challenge was navigating town for a dinner engagement set months in advance and locating movies to rent. <G>

Oh, and a couple of Christmas decorations blew around a little.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

so.cal.fan
12-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Thanks for checking in with us, guys.
Glad you're all on line!
Let's hope those winds have left.
As for the "white stuff"............I guess it is that time of year!
We'll just "dream" about it down here in So. Calif. There is a little atop of Mt. Baldy, we can "look" at it, I guess I can live with that....LOL.

Bob Harris
12-16-2002, 11:21 AM
It's raining like a mother today and they just cancelled school...thank goodness I taught my 8 yr old how to read a toteboard last summer...I bet I can bribe him with a couple of bucks and not have to sit at this desk all morning!

Doug
12-16-2002, 01:03 PM
Not easy to read computer printouts and the racing form by candlelight.

Doug

so.cal.fan
12-16-2002, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear that, Doug.
We hope your power is back on soon.
I can't stand to be without power for 1 hour, and that was in the middle of summer......I can't imagine no power in this cold weather.
Not unlike the crappy system they use to transmit electronic bets, you would think they would improve the power situation so there would not be so much suffering by poor people who have no control.
:(