PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you talk in the theatre?

Dave Schwartz
07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
My wife and I are avid movie-goers. Nothing irritates us more than having to listen to people talking through a movie.

Occasionally we go for dinner and a movie with another couple. The majority of those couples seem to talk (some very loudly) all the way through the movie.

How do you feel about this topic?

OTM Al
07-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I only go rarely now because the movies cost too much to have to listen to idiots talking the whole way through. Be as vocal as you want about the commercials. Comment freely on the previews. When the movie starts though, to put it as succinctly as possible within the confines of board regs and good taste, STFU!!!!!!!!!!!

boomman
07-10-2007, 04:45 PM
My wife and I are avid movie-goers. Nothing irritates us more than having to listen to people talking through a movie.

Occasionally we go for dinner and a movie with another couple. The majority of those couples seem to talk (some very loudly) all the way through the movie.

Dave: I spoke of this on another thread, but how about people ansering their damn cell phone during a movie? Seen that several times!! GRRR:mad:

Boomer

DanG
07-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Dave, a man after my own heart. :ThmbUp:

Just a hangable offensive IMHO.

In fact, if a theatre offered the Get Smart “cone of silence” to drop on anyone saying a word, I would pay 5x the price for the privilege.

Love the interaction of a live audience in movies…Comedy’s in particular really lose impact on DVD without 300 people laughing.

Flip side…Most powerful movie experience I ever had was not only because of the greatness of the film, but the group who was sitting in front of us.

Saving Private Ryan ~ We were in Ft. Lauderdale and in the row in front of us 5 or 6 WWII veterans were seated. During the intense 1st 15 minutes on Omaha beach a couple of them had to leave the theatre briefly as it was just too much for them to re-live. For the duration of the movie they took turns comforting each other and wiping away tears and it will forever be engrained in our memories.

When done well, movies are a powerful medium and when experienced in the right (respectful) company they can take on an entirely different meaning.

http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/graphics/cone_title.gif

Greyfox
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Exactly why I quit movie houses. Home theatre but months later is fine.

chickenhead
07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I told two teenage girls to be quiet just a few weeks ago, people being so incredibly rude really gets my blood boiling.

Then again what to expect I think it depends on where you are, I went to a movie theater up in Brooklyn once, it was a whole nother experience. Everyone shouting at the screen and providing their own commentary. It was fun it's own way, but I think I'd get tired of it quickly, it was like a whole different category from just watching a movie.

But around here, in my moviehouse, like Al said, STFU!

Tom
07-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Little known fact - Abe Lincoln constantly talked in the theater.

Triva question - name two people shot in the back of the head in a theater?
a. Lincoln
b. The guy sitting in front of Paul Reubin

BetHorses!
07-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Totally unacceptable. Drives me nuts.

Dave Schwartz
07-10-2007, 09:12 PM
What amazes me most, as I alluded to in my original post, is that some really fine human beings (i.e. our friends) just do not seem to get it. One couple in particular talks so loudly as to shout over the movie in order to be heard.

A couple of weeks ago we were at the theatre for a matinee of Evan Almighty, a movie I would highly recommend as a "family movie," and the wife of the talking-couple is there with one of her grandchildren. She saw us and assumed she was welcome to sit with us. Of course, we did not say, "We don't sit next to talkers" or some such thing and she joined us.

She kept up a running conversation with this 10-year old. (He is still in training - never raced. Thought I'd interject a little horse racing talk here.)

Whenever they call and ask, "Dinner and a movie?" We always say, "Just dinner this time."

Dave

The Judge
07-11-2007, 08:55 AM
You don't talk but are with someone that does talk. Then you are "both talking" as far as everyone else is concerned. This can realy be a problem if the person you are with is your wife.

banacek
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
I went to a film that had subtitles a few years ago and a woman was there who read the subtitles to her husband the whole way! Some day I'm going to pull a George Costanza at these people. (from "The Opposite" episode)

The Judge
07-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I would move before I tell someone to be quiet. Just to many people around that would go nuts. I live in the city.

betchatoo
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
It is the reason I rarely go to movies these days. I have a nice home theater set-up and I never have to listen to conversations that aren't part of the movie.

Dave Schwartz
07-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Banacek,

Some day I'm going to pull a George Costanza at these people. (from "The Opposite" episode)

I never saw that episode. Can you give the short version? (And try to be funny, please. <G>)

Dave

banacek
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Banacek,

I never saw that episode. Can you give the short version? (And try to be funny, please. <G>)

Dave

In my top 3 Seinfeld episodes. George decides that since everything he does never works out that he should do everything the opposite. It starts with them in the coffee shop and he goes up to a pretty girl and says something like "My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents", She said "Hi! I'm Victoria". She ends up getting him a interview with the Yankees and George tells Steinbrenner off. Steinbrenner says "Hire this man!"

Anyways on the 1st date they go to a movie and some thugs are behind them making a lot of noise and she says that they should move. George turns around and tells them to shutup and "if they don't like it he will take it outside ...and don't believe me, just try it, because I would love to!". They shut up, the other movie goers applaud.

Forget my attempt - just found it (hey Dave, kind of like contrarian money management!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCQu29Vutw

Dave Schwartz
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Banacek,

Thanks! That was great!

Funny thing is that I rarely watched Seinfeld. I think in all the years I saw maybe 3 episodes. (Yeah, I know... I missed the beginning, then I said, "I wish I had started earlier" then I said, "Oh well.")

One particular episode (this one) I tuned in at the very end... the Steinbrenner interview! That was all I saw of it.

Thanks again. (Now if I can just find the rental car episode on YouTube...)

Dave

Dave Schwartz
07-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Found the car rental episode. That was one of the funniest clips ever...

"I understand what a reservation is..."
"No, apparently, you don't. If you did, I'd have a car."

Is the web phenomenal, or what?

banacek
07-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Found the car rental episode. That was one of the funniest clips ever...

"I understand what a reservation is..."
"No, apparently, you don't. If you did, I'd have a car."

Is the web phenomenal, or what?

Forgot some of that one:

So when he gets the compact car, she asks if he wants the insurance and he says "yeah, you better give me the insurance because I'm going to beat the hell out of that car"

boomman
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I love the one where they're waiting forever in The Chinese Restaurant, and as they're leaving the maitre di says: "Seinfeld party of 4", like he has no idea it's them even though they've inquired a 100x with him!!:D

Boomer

Scotchman
07-11-2007, 12:32 PM

I doubt that people who talk in theatres even know they are talking loud enough to bother others.
Hence, you will have noone answer yes to this question.

bigmack
07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Always got a bang out of Mr. Bookman played by the great Philip Baker Hall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwrQdQSXDbg

DJofSD
07-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey, Dave. Ever been to a screening of "Rocky Horror"?

Dave Schwartz
07-11-2007, 10:22 PM
LOL - Many years ago.

One must (obviously) adjust their level to fit the crowd. I mean, if you are going to watch a show for 8-year olds on a Saturday, you had better be prepared for lots of screaming, crying, and general carrying on.