PDA

View Full Version : Can PTC members have clout at the Del Mar Meet?

trying2win
07-09-2007, 09:57 PM
--I just got an email reply from Joe Harper, the president and general manager at Del Mar (listed here below this sentence).

"Thanks for taking the time to email me re. Premier Turf Club. I know TOC had their reasons for not authorizing them but they will have to tell you what they were. Give Drew an email. I will ask him to reply. I hope that our overall handle will not be negatively affected by their decision. We think it won't. However, believe it or not, I have been wrong before...Thanks also for the kind words about our operation. Right or wrong we are having fun doing what we do. Good luck this summer....Joe".
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2007 2:31 PM
To: Joe Harper
Subject: 2007 Del Mar meet and rebate betting shops

--Mr. Harper declares that by TOC not approving PTC as an ADW for bets at Del Mar, that this won't affect the overall handle. I disagree.

I wrote in my original email to Joe Harper, that if TOC doesn't approve wagering at Del Mar, that I'll be sending my bets on the Del Mar races to an offshore racebook. Common sense says by doing something like that 'WILL AFFECT' the overall handle at Del Mar, and revenues to California horsemen, as long as many other PTC members take a similar stance. Hopefully, more PTC members will take a stand and send Joe Harper a similar message. Joe Harper has an email link at the Del Mar site at www.dmtc.com

Would be interesting to see what other PA members and PTC members
have to say on this topic.

Thanks,

T2W

BillW
07-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I hope that our overall handle will not be negatively affected by their decision. We think it won't. However, believe it or not, I have been wrong before...

That is an odd response - he says it wasn't his decision then goes on to justify the decision ("We think it won't") as if he made it. IMO this must be about an exclusion clause in an agreement with TVG or something similar.

gIracing
07-09-2007, 10:28 PM
only in horse racing are people stupid enough to sign exclusive contracts with someone that doesn't give you access to half the country. I would love to bet on NYRA tracks but I can't, I'm in arkansas. Screw em. I bet socal and midwest tracks now.

Edward DeVere
07-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Dear Mr. Harper:

I will continue to bet Del Mar through authorized outlets. No offshore books for me.

Premier Turf Club
07-10-2007, 08:16 AM
That is an odd response - he says it wasn't his decision then goes on to justify the decision ("We think it won't") as if he made it. IMO this must be about an exclusion clause in an agreement with TVG or something similar.

No Bill, it is something more than that. In case you didn't see an earlier string

With all due respect No Cal Boy because I think you are a smart, well-meaning guy, but the hell they are. The TOC is doing their level best to STIFLE competition, not let new ADWs in. We (PTC, a TOC board member, ND Racing Commission, at least one big California owner I know of,simulcast director for CARF, etc.) now have at least 12 phonecalls into Drew Couto asking for an explanation for why we were turned down. None have been returned.

Mr. Couto is clearly protecting existing relationships. Let's face it if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. If I am wrong why would he refuse to explain himself when confronted by a TOC board member and a big California owner? Six phone calls from the board member asking for a reason, none of them returned? If it was as simple as a contractual reason wouldn't you inform the caller of that? They are all tied together in this, the Calif tracks, the TOC, the CHRB, etc.

As always, I appreciate the support of the members of this board. We need to make Mr. Couto understand he's heading down a road he REALLY doesn't want to go down. There are a number of lawyers that have contacted us with visions of nine figures dancing through their head. According to them, there are no other industries where anti-trust laws are so routinely ignored.

cj
07-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I, for one, will not be betting Delmar on shore if the current options are the only ones available.

prospector
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
I, for one, will not be betting Delmar on shore if the current options are the only ones available.
ditto
and i've sent my email to delmar asking (in a polite and business like way) for them to join PTC..

i've always believed in supporting those who support me..

ceejay
07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I, for one, will not be betting Delmar on shore if the current options are the only ones available.Nor will I. The only clout that we have is our wallets.

Maji
07-10-2007, 01:41 PM
I sent joe an email requesting that he consider PTC. I hope all the members here inundate them with similar emails and show them what they will be missing out on.

classhandicapper
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
I haven't been following the developments because I play NYRA about 95% of the time, but have you contacted NYRA about getting a deal?

Premier Turf Club
07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I haven't been following the developments because I play NYRA about 95% of the time, but have you contacted NYRA about getting a deal?

Yes, we have had talks with them over the past few months. They have been open-minded and willing to listen so we shall see.

Zman179
07-10-2007, 07:13 PM
You know, maybe all of you should be sending the same e-mails to the TOC. They're the ones who started this mess.

LaughAndBeMerry
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
How many members does PA have? I think as many as we can get should e-mail and call the TOC and Drew Couto directly. Let's ask they who they are protecting since they do not have the tracks or the owners or the players interests at heart. How do they give the signal to outfits named in the New York report and turn down PTC? :mad: How much does it cost to take out a newspaper ad in the racing form? Maybe we should do that.

boomman
07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
How many members does PA have? I think as many as we can get should e-mail and call the TOC and Drew Couto directly. Let's ask they who they are protecting since they do not have the tracks or the owners or the players interests at heart. How do they give the signal to outfits named in the New York report and turn down PTC? :mad: How much does it cost to take out a newspaper ad in the racing form? Maybe we should do that.

I am a year round advertiser with DRF and would be happy to assist you in any way possible should you decide to take out an ad in the DRF. The man you need to speak with is Greg Dixon, and you can reach him at gdixon@drf.com

Boomer