PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Has No Sound Now

trying2win
07-09-2007, 12:43 AM
I had a computer crash just recently. Probably could have saved many files, if I had a computer tech to check the computer over. Didn't want to spend big $$$ though doing that. You know...decided to go the cheapskate route and get the computer going myself by doing a reinstall of the WINDOWS XP disk. That worked, even though with the formatting of the hard disk meant I lost all my files. That's no problem though.

The only real problem I have left now, is I can't get any sound. How does one get the sound back on the computer? I went to the CONTROL PANEL and many of the options say the 'audio devices are working properly' etc. So...I'm kind of stumped right now on how to remedy the sound problem. And as many PA members know, the MICROSOFT help section is next-to-useless.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

T2W

tupper
07-09-2007, 03:53 AM
The only real problem I have left now, is I can't get any sound. How does one get the sound back on the computer? I went to the CONTROL PANEL and many of the options say the 'audio devices are working properly' etc.Double-check for "air-gaps" in your audio connections -- especially if you moved your computer while trying to recover from the crash. Also, if you have a portable CD/mp3 player (or some other audio source), plug your amp/powered-speakers into the player to check to make sure your audio system outside of your computer is still working properly.

To test that your sound card is working, download and burn a free, Linux live CD, such as Puppy Linux (http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=1), then boot your computer with the live CD in your CD drive. After it boots, try to play a sound/music file.

Probably could have saved many files, if I had a computer tech to check the computer over. Didn't want to spend big $$$ though doing that. You know...decided to go the cheapskate route and get the computer going myself by doing a reinstall of the WINDOWS XP disk. That worked, even though with the formatting of the hard disk meant I lost all my files.Too bad. You probably could have saved your files for nothing if you had just used a free Linux live CD to retrieve them.

trying2win
07-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Thanks anyway tupper. I've got my computer sound problem fixed now. I went back to the CONTROL PANEL and then clicked on the COMPUTER SYSTEM icon. Then if I remember correctly, I clicked on the HARDWARE tab and then next clicked on the DEVICE MANAGER tab. Then I looked for audio devices. Next in that section, I saw some clues that lead me to clicking on a button that downloaded some files to get the audio working again.

T2W

kenwoodallpromos
07-09-2007, 06:53 AM
You may have run across the eq and other toys in SOund Mgr

JustRalph
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks anyway tupper. I've got my computer sound problem fixed now. I went back to the CONTROL PANEL and then clicked on the COMPUTER SYSTEM icon. Then if I remember correctly, I clicked on the HARDWARE tab and then next clicked on the DEVICE MANAGER tab. Then I looked for audio devices. Next in that section, I saw some clues that lead me to clicking on a button that downloaded some files to get the audio working again.

T2W

save those files you downloaded........they are the driver files for your soundcard...............next time you can just pop the disk in............

trying2win
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
RALPH,

Thanks for the tip.

T2W

JustRalph
07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Double-check for "air-gaps" in your audio connections -- especially if you moved your computer while trying to recover from the crash.

Those dreaded air gaps...................... :lol: