PDA

View Full Version : Any one been paying attention to the green monkey

gIracing
07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
he's being cranked up. and the more in shape he's getting, the more run he seems to have. He's still not in race shape I don't think but he drilled a 5F earlier today in a minute and 2.

I've said all along.. him running fast has never been an issue. He's VERY fast. His issue is staying healthy long enough to substain training so that he CAN run fast in races.

I would believe he's being pointed torwards the spah in august.

Zman179
07-08-2007, 03:30 PM
When he runs, I'm playing ALL except The Green Monkey. A surefire 3/5 shot that'll go down in flames.

the_fat_man
07-08-2007, 03:35 PM
About as diligently as I do the new products at White Castle :jump:

Try to them to put on an eating competition like they do at Coney Island at Nathan's.

NO LUCK so FAR. Will keep you posted.

Edward DeVere
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
he's being cranked up. and the more in shape he's getting, the more run he seems to have. He's still not in race shape I don't think but he drilled a 5F earlier today in a minute and 2.

I've said all along.. him running fast has never been an issue. He's VERY fast. His issue is staying healthy long enough to substain training so that he CAN run fast in races.

I would believe he's being pointed torwards the spah in august.

To the best of my knowledge, the last time Mr. Monkey ran fast was at the sales.

gIracing
07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
you guys are pitiful.. you are so busy bashing him because they paid that much you stop to take the time that he is working i the morning, and holding his own, with Grade 1 horses (rags to riches & circular Quay are his normal workout partners)

I could care less about the horse, I'm just bringing up the fact that you might be able to exepct him soon.

and 5th best out of 48 (what he did today, first time going 5F as well) is pretty darn good considering he's not in racing shape yet.

Zman179
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
you guys are pitiful...

I've been called worse.

The Green Monkey HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol:

ryesteve
07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
he drilled a 5F earlier today in a minute and 2.

2 fifths or 2 seconds? :D

GaryG
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Will his opponents be playing "slap the monkey?"

Wiley
07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37266&highlight=green+monkey
Last year he was pointed to the Spa for his racing debut but suffered a strained Gluteus Maximus surprisingly Coolmore came down with the same ailment. Maybe they should be less aggresive with this guy and find an easier spot at next years meet. :rolleyes:

Tom
07-09-2007, 01:54 PM
He sprained his butt?????

Wiley
07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Yep. That was the word out of the Pletcher barn a year ago as to why he did not make it to the races at last years Spa meet.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=300906#post300906

speedking
07-09-2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks for laying it on the line for us simple folks, Tom :lol::lol:

speedking

Tom
07-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Well heck, I busted mine just getting to Toga from the parking lot.:rolleyes:

Horsefan
07-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi GI and all, I have no interest in bashing The Green Monkey or anyone else for that matter. I think that he is beautiful and would love to see some success for him now that he's come back. Go Green Monkey!!!!

gIracing
07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
what I think:

I don't think there was ever a real problem with him. I think they took so much out of him for his 2YOIT sale and he never was given ample time to recover.

to do what he did, for probably as many people that were looking at him, had to take a hell of alot out of him after the sale. he basically pulled an A%% muscle.

I think they decided to turn him out for a couple of months/half a year or so and give it another go, which is now

Horsefan
07-09-2007, 05:47 PM
And on the positive side, if he becomes a success imagine all The Green Monkey names that will come forth in pedigrees (or maybe that is a negative?)

46zilzal
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Gluteal muscles are hip extenders and rotators: a natural part of the motion in a horse's stride.

Robert Fischer
07-09-2007, 09:18 PM
probably be a good broodmare sire

gIracing
07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
something that no one ever talks about..... his pedigree isn't one that screams distance.

I mean the unbridled on the bottom is good, but it seems like EVERYTHING that forestry throws wants no part of 2 turns. I mean, Forest Danger, Forest code or Smoke Glacken don't scream mile and a quarter to me. even discreet cat has some questions about going against top flight comp at classic distances.. but is ovbiously the most talented thing that forestry has ever produced.. and has a better pedigree with private account and in reality on the bottom than the green monkey does.

However... I think he is going to make a HELL of a short to mid distance sire...

Horsefan
07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
GI I hope that you will add here any new information you find out about him. Prior to his recent return to training articles referred to him as "The Green Ghost":p From what I have seen (novice here!) he has gotten one of the worst negative press campaigns a horse could have prior to his first start.

gIracing
07-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I mean.. he isn't worth 16 million.. but in a world that is starving for good horse flesh, everyone here should be on pins and niddles hoping he makes it to the track. the more good horses we can get int his great game the better.

it's not about the connecitons, nor the owners, nor the breeding.. it's about the horse. he has done nothing wrong. he's a horsey :)

ryesteve
07-10-2007, 08:51 AM
in a world that is starving for good horse flesh
I thought you were about to suggest sending him to Japan in order to recoup a couple bucks a pound on the investment :D

Wiley
07-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I mean.. he isn't worth 16 million.. but in a world that is starving for good horse flesh, everyone here should be on pins and niddles hoping he makes it to the track. the more good horses we can get int his great game the better.

it's not about the connecitons, nor the owners, nor the breeding.. it's about the horse. he has done nothing wrong. he's a horsey :)
I'm not bashing the horse, just Coolmore for losing their minds in this type of purchase and they are paying the price for it. I wish nothing but the best for the horse but at this point do you really think he has any chance of becoming a special horse? IMO, very doubtful, precocious two year olds rarely make quality three year old and older race horses, to me his chance was lost to shine last year. I am sure he has had physical issues but I also think part of it is he has been held back to keep from being embarassed on the track. My guess is he never makes it to the races, a Snaafi Dancer the second, 10.2 million yearly purchase that could not run a yard.

gIracing
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
something to keep in mind when making these blanket sttements

most of these high prices hosres were bought at yearling sales when they haven't been asked for anything yet

TGM was bought at a 2YOIN sale. he can run. he has proved it

the only two questions you really need to be asking is 1) how far can he run and 2) can he stay healthy enough to substain training so he can run

so what if coolmoare paid 50 million dollars for the horse.

Darley just paid about 40 mil for Street Sense and 15 mil for hard spun. The way I see it.. they aren't buying a race horse, they are buying a stallion, and if it worked out, say the green monkey went on to win a couple of grade 1's.. it would look like one of the smarter investments ever and save money on the balance sheet in the long run

would I do it? no, at least not for a colt by forestry but I see the reasoning.

DanG
07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
With all due permission “Tomcat” who lives in Kentucky spoke of meeting the infamous Green Monkeys groom…(From the HTR board 5/4/2007)

Tomcat ~ “Some time ago, we ate lunch in crowded little place and a nice young fellow and his girl asked if they could sit us. They both had English accents. The guy turned out to be Green Monkey's groom. I asked what he looked like and he said "he was very nice, but not exceptional".”
“Not exceptional”…Yikes…:eek: not quite the ringing endorsement you’re hoping a fortune brings.

GaryG
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Most of the money spent on these super-high priced yearlings (and 2yo) is badly misplaced. I am just glad to see the money go back into the Kentucky economy.

classhandicapper
07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Yearling prices are part of the same problem as the early retirements and high prices for stallions etc....

The more people are willing to bid for yearlings, the more people will be willing to pay for high quality stallions and vice versa. It's a odd dynamic because it creates a lottery like system where there are a few huge winners but a lot of big losers and a system that overall is a net loser for those that participate.

I'm not sure what created this dynamic or how long it has existed to this degree because I've never seen all the data, but in Wall St terms it's a "bubble".

In order for the economics to be sustainable and healthy, income streams must support the prices. Unwarranted capital gains that support investor behavior are unsustainable. I don't see much evidence that income growth (horse earnings/purses) are keeping up with stallion and yearling prices.

IMO, a healthy bust is coming eventually, but it may take a long time because the sheiks have a lot of money to burn and some owners don't care about losing money when it comes to horses.

GaryG
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Remember the bidding wars in the 80s between Sangster and the Maktoums? That would have been great for KY breeders except one of the results was the destruction of Calumet Farm and J T Lundy allegedly killing Alydar.

Tom
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Dave Litfin hits a homerun with this quote from a recent column on Saratoga……

“Rumors swirl that The Green Monkey (drum roll, please) is nearing his long-delayed unveiling. Considering his $16 million price tag, will it be a bad omen if the world's most expensive horse comes onto the racetrack looking like the proverbial million bucks?”

ryesteve
07-20-2007, 12:23 PM
something that looks libelous
Are you allowed to say that??

classhandicapper
07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
59 4/5 breezing today. I guess the Monkey can run a little. :eek:

Edward DeVere
07-24-2007, 12:06 AM
I thought you were about to suggest sending him to Japan in order to recoup a couple bucks a pound on the investment :D

Brutal.

But funny.

Edward DeVere
07-24-2007, 12:09 AM
so what if coolmoare paid 50 million dollars for the horse.

Darley just paid about 40 mil for Street Sense and 15 mil for hard spun. The way I see it.. they aren't buying a race horse, they are buying a stallion, and if it worked out, say the green monkey went on to win a couple of grade 1's.. it would look like one of the smarter investments ever and save money on the balance sheet in the long run

would I do it? no, at least not for a colt by forestry but I see the reasoning.

Don't you think 15 million for Hard Spun is a helluva lot better investment than 16 million for an unraced two-year-old?

gIracing
07-24-2007, 12:28 AM
if we are talking breeding PLUS racing...not really.

Breeding wise TGM is a hell of alot better investment IMHO.

I'm not a fan of Storm Cat.. unless you throw Rahy in there on the dam side (Giant's Causeway, After Market) however Forestry with unbridled on the bottom is better than Danzing and Turkoman,w hich is what hard spun has.

The ONLY thing that concerns me with TGM breeding wise is that he is built like a sprinter and Forestry throws Sprinters.. Sprinters just don't light up the sales ring come Auction time.

If either flop in the shed..neither will see their money back. Actaully TMG has a better chance... assuming he can run GOOD ENOUGH to get say a grade 2 under his belt... because of his bloodlines he is going to stand for more than Hard Spun is.. who would be hard pressed to open up at anything more than 25-30k until he can prove he can throw a runner or two.

I mean. I'm not advocating spending 16 million on yearlings.. but I see the logic in it. If he wasn't a storm cat decendant you can cut that by 75%.

46zilzal
07-24-2007, 01:40 AM
59 4/5 breezing today. I guess the Monkey can run a little.
Alone, without dirt kicked in his face, with no crowd noise or pressure from other runners inside, outside and in front.......DOES NOT TRANSLATE to a race.

gIracing
07-24-2007, 02:56 AM
you guys hvae to be kidding me.

Any horse that can breeze 5F under a minute can scoot.

you know it and I don't know why some of you seem to get off on the demise of a what everyone should hope to be good horse.

Like I said earlier, in a sport that is literarly begging for superstars... you should be praying that he makes it to the races and shows something.. anything.

it's like the guys who say there are not enough girls here in my city/state/whatever, then when an attractive woman approaches him he tells her he is busy talking about how many unattractive women there are, get out of my way.

alysheba88
07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
you guys hvae to be kidding me.

Any horse that can breeze 5F under a minute can scoot.

you know it and I don't know why some of you seem to get off on the demise of a what everyone should hope to be good horse.

Like I said earlier, in a sport that is literarly begging for superstars... you should be praying that he makes it to the races and shows something.. anything.

it's like the guys who say there are not enough girls here in my city/state/whatever, then when an attractive woman approaches him he tells her he is busy talking about how many unattractive women there are, get out of my way.

Its more like people get tired of being told how beautiful a women looks, when reality she isnt. Her money and fame is what makes people think she is attractive

cj
07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
This horse being good would only encourage more early retirements.

Spendabuck85
07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
From Bloodhorse.com:

The much anticipated debut of the Pletcher-trained The Green Monkey -- purchased as a 2-year-old last year for a record $16 million -- could come sometime after Aug. 13.

"I'm sure there will be more stories written about him running first time out then any other maiden I've been around," says Pletcher. "We'll try to put him in the best position to run well his first time out."

wes
07-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Its more like people get tired of being told how beautiful a women looks, when reality she isnt. Her money and fame is what makes people think she is attractive

I'm moving to Ky where they have pretty horses and fast women.

wes

cj
07-24-2007, 10:07 AM
"I'm sure there will be more stories written about him running first time out then any other maiden I've been around," says Pletcher. "We'll try to put him in the best position to run well his first time out."

35,000 maiden claimer?

classhandicapper
07-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I have no idea how good Green Monkey is, but 59.4 breezing is a long way away from the very slow works we were seeing before.

My feeling is that the horse has to have some ability or Pletcher would have thrown in the towel. Putting him on the track to embarass himself would only reduce the chances of recovering the investment. The fact that they are still trying means that they think he might be able to win a stake eventually. I think the tougher problem might be keeping him sound enough for long enough to develop.

It will be interesting to see how he gets bet when/if he does make it to the races. He'll probably be hyped to some degree because of the price tag, but he has such a terrible reputation among more serious fans he may not even get overbet.