PDA

View Full Version : HRTV.... I have one and only one complaint

gIracing
07-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I... don't think I can take anymore of jon white.

the sad part is.. he knows his stuff. probablymore than anyone on any station.

but I promise you, he is like one of thoose pull string toys that you can predict what is going to come out of his mouth every 10 mintues.

He's either going to count down his top 10 races of the first half of the year, tell us some obscure fact about a horses breeding and somehow tie it to big red or affirmed, or talk about how hard being a steward is.

I mean, jon.. I want to like you. I really really do. But I mean gosh man, come on. PLEASE just STOP.

boomman
07-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I... don't think I can take anymore of jon white.

the sad part is.. he knows his stuff. probablymore than anyone on any station.

but I promise you, he is like one of thoose pull string toys that you can predict what is going to come out of his mouth every 10 mintues.

He's either going to count down his top 10 races of the first half of the year, tell us some obscure fact about a horses breeding and somehow tie it to big red or affirmed, or talk about how hard being a steward is.

I mean, jon.. I want to like you. I really really do. But I mean gosh man, come on. PLEASE just STOP.

gI: I have had the pleasure of meeting many of the racing "personalities" in the game in my nearly 30 years in the business, and Jon White is not only a great guy and would sit down and talk racing with ANYONE, but he is virtually an encyclopedia on horse racing. He has a HUGE passion for our sport, and in my opinion our sport needs more guys like Jon White, not less!!

Boomer

Tom
07-07-2007, 04:53 PM
That is one reason I do not go tot he track - any number of drunks, hacks, bums, or drifters would love to sit eown and talk horses with me all friggin afternoon. I came to bet horses, not listen to drivel from anyone. MUZAK would be a major improvement over and idiot on any racing channel. If they need to talk so badly, why don't they go to a psyciatrist?????
The only think I need hear from any of them is the scratches and how long until the nest race.

gIracing
07-07-2007, 06:08 PM
gI: I have had the pleasure of meeting many of the racing "personalities" in the game in my nearly 30 years in the business, and Jon White is not only a great guy and would sit down and talk racing with ANYONE, but he is virtually an encyclopedia on horse racing. He has a HUGE passion for our sport, and in my opinion our sport needs more guys like Jon White, not less!!

Boomer

just because you sat down and talked iwth him, doesn't what I said isn't ture. I'm sure he is a GREAT guy. he seems like it. but that's not what I said.

gIracing
07-07-2007, 06:10 PM
That is one reason I do not go tot he track - any number of drunks, hacks, bums, or drifters would love to sit eown and talk horses with me all friggin afternoon. I came to bet horses, not listen to drivel from anyone. MUZAK would be a major improvement over and idiot on any racing channel. If they need to talk so badly, why don't they go to a psyciatrist?????
The only think I need hear from any of them is the scratches and how long until the nest race.

most of the personalities have grown on me, some moreso than others. I don't mind. HRTV seems ot do a better way of not trying to confuse me as a better.

Notice how like Jeff Siegel will tell you something when it's actually IMPORTANT.. like when it's slop out on the track and the 8 to 1 is sired by a horse that loved the mud? Stuff like that I want to know

I don't care, I really don't, if this horse was born on the same day AFfirmed trained for the first time. I mean, it's a nice tid bit and tot hrow in every once in a while but my gosh man.
i'm with you on the track. I go alone. and I try to stay away from regulars. nothing is worse than some degerante talking you off of your pick of the day that come shome at 14 to 1.

what really gets me, is the guy who likes a horse (for usually the wrong reason) who has to go to everyone in earshot distance and explain why his handicaping expertise is going to work.Dude.. I don't care. I want to place my bet, get my beer or hot dog, and go get a spot by the finish line.

boomman
07-07-2007, 06:43 PM

I agree with both of you that I don't want to hear guys' opinions when they walk up to me at the track, but that's hardly what Jon White is doing! He's a professional, and does give a lot of info that folks (especially newbies that we need in our sport) want to hear. If you don't want to hear him, it's easy:
Press "Mute":D

Boomer

Dan Montilion
07-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I press the mute button so often all of the other buttons are starting to get an inferiority complex.

Tom
07-07-2007, 11:34 PM
The HRTV heads are bareable. The ones who I just cannot stand are that Matt Caruthers and Ken? the Black guy, on TVG...are they having a contest to see who can be more obnoxious and childish????
Dead Heat!!!!! Wonder they want to be when they grown up.

Edward DeVere
07-08-2007, 01:12 AM
The ones who I just cannot stand are that Matt Caruthers and Ken? the Black guy, on TVG...are they having a contest to see who can be more obnoxious and childish????

I'm not sure even their mothers could disagree with this assessment.

(Maybe ESPECIALLY their mothers.)

JustRalph
07-08-2007, 01:24 AM
I wish someone would just tell them that they can take a breath

they seem to think they need to talk all the time and as fast as possible

keenang
07-08-2007, 07:13 PM
On the subject of racing channels, It has been a long,long time since I have seen or heard anybody with the ability to have words just flow like Lafit(sp) Pincay Jr. He is like Vince Scully, the words just flow so easily.I am sure he will move on to bigger and better things.

Geno :ThmbUp:

GaryG
07-08-2007, 07:30 PM
On the subject of racing channels, It has been a long,long time since I have seen or heard anybody with the ability to have words just flow like Lafit(sp) Pincay Jr. He is like Vince Scully, the words just flow so easily.I am sure he will move on to bigger and better things.

Geno :ThmbUp:Laffit has been knocked a few times here but I like him as well. He is a good complement to Jeff Siegel. When they are on I turn off the mute button.

gIracing
07-08-2007, 07:38 PM
actually it's the III not Jr.. Jr is the hall of fame rider

however you are right.. I think he's a good compliment to anyone on there. He has enough personality to where he actually makes it interesting to listen but at the same time knows how to walk the line between entertainment and providing valuable information.

He's been there for a while, hopefully HRTV can go on to better thins to keep him around, because the second mainstream gets a sniff of him he's gone

delayjf
07-10-2007, 03:34 PM
are they having a contest to see who can be more obnoxious and childish???? Dead Heat!!!!! Wonder they want to be when they grown up.

the inquiry sign is up..... MC DQed for playing grab ass down the stretch. Lets face it both have their stiffs. I like all the trainers and jockeys because they can give you a backstretch perspective. Speigel gives you info you can use. Pincay is a very good talker with a good voice.

Wonder if either channel has ever tried to get Beyer or Quinn or more of a name in handicapping to get behind the mike.

I'd apply but I know they'd use me just for eye-candy for the babes. ;)

judd
07-10-2007, 03:39 PM
jo ann jones picks more winners than white
watch a big race
he never picks the winner

gIracing
07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
i hate Beyer.. I don't know why. I just do.

White had Rags in the Belmont.

He also had Admire Moon, someone NO ONE had, includign myself, in the Duty Free. He picks his fair share of winners.

I don't like Joanne Jones' handicaping process. she thinks every race consists of how fast you can go the first half mile. it's not my cup of tea. I'm not a big proponet of speed handicapping (have my reasons)

I cahsed a 50 dollar ticket listening to millie ball, on a race I had no clue, and she mentioned how good a horse looked out there and said it was her play of the day.. it was at santa anita, so I said what the hell, it's 2 bucks. I'll be damned if he didn't win.

judd
07-10-2007, 04:47 PM
joann is more attractive

GaryG
07-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Joann's father is one of the sharpest handicappers that I have ever met. He is a speed handicapping pioneer and has always been aware of the effects of pace. I am proud to call him a friend. Joanne has been around racetracks nearly all of her life.

Wickel
07-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I remember attending Gordon Jones' Pick 6 seminars prior to the day's card at Hollywood Park in the early '80s. Joanne would help her father pass out the Pick 6 cards, programs, donuts, etc. She must have been 11 or 12 years old back then. I've always admired Gordon as a pioneer in speed handicapping. I still have his book, "Gordon Jones to Win."

gIracing
07-10-2007, 05:02 PM
i Ment to say that about joanne's dad.. he's GOOD and sharp

and joanne is probably my fav host because she's as candid as you can possibly be, and doesn't care if she puts someone off by it. it makes for good TV.

and she is easy on the eyes

GaryG
07-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I remember attending Gordon Jones' Pick 6 seminars prior to the day's card at Hollywood Park in the early '80s. Joanne would help her father pass out the Pick 6 cards, programs, donuts, etc. She must have been 11 or 12 years old back then. I've always admired Gordon as a pioneer in speed handicapping. I still have his book, "Gordon Jones to Win."Remember when she was dating PVal in the early 80s? That'll make you feel old!

JustRalph
07-10-2007, 05:16 PM
and doesn't care if she puts someone off by it. it makes for good TV.

I am told this is why she got tossed from TVG................

hmmmmm................

judd
07-10-2007, 05:25 PM
who does she date now?

carolyn kennedy not bad either
all those gals know about horses
minnie etc

delayjf
07-10-2007, 05:28 PM
i hate Beyer

OK, why not Quinn?? I'm sure it would have to be someone on the west coast. I think it would be interesting to see two nationally known cappers duke it out on air.

gIracing
07-10-2007, 07:18 PM
who does she date now?

carolyn kennedy not bad either
all those gals know about horses
minnie etc

Carolyn Conley, not kennedy

Joanne dates, and has a baby by, Clinton Potts. What happened to Carloyn? she hasn't been on recently. Same with Kurt Hoover.

and I't Millie (Ball), not minnie

gIracing
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Remember when she was dating PVal in the early 80s? That'll make you feel old!

are you serious? I'm just 24 so i was barley born.. but the way she was talking about him about 2 weeks ago when it was rumored he was coming back.. you'd never think. she has some "interesting" comments to say the least and I'll just leave it at that.

judd
07-10-2007, 07:26 PM
as long as they give us winners
thats fine by me
do all the ladies have horse background (families? ) into horses

judd
07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Carolyn Conley, not kennedy

Joanne dates, and has a baby by, Clinton Potts. What happened to Carloyn? she hasn't been on recently. Same with Kurt Hoover.

and I't Millie (Ball), not minnie

its camilla ball
shes the exercise rider for bob baffert & richard mandella
so when she mentions she likes one of their horses ---she knows
something

gIracing
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
its camilla ball
shes the exercise rider for bob baffert & richard mandella
so when she mentions she likes one of their horses ---she knows
something

duh, i knew that, but she doesn't go by that, just like Becky doesn't go by Rebecca.

not necessarly. Becky used to be the assistant trainer to Mandella and I've never seen her come with any real inside info.

the only time I listen to inside info any of them have is when 1) Sean McCarty has a horse running, or Peter Lurie or jeff siegal has a horse they relaly like. I made a nice chunk of change off of Grand (IRE) at Churchill. he's a team valor horse.

All the ladies and the men grew up either watching or around the sport. Millie being an ex rider, Becky being an ex assistant trainre and Carolyn being an old exercise rider, and Joanne.. well... being Gordon's daughter.

judd
07-10-2007, 07:59 PM
very interesting