PDA

View Full Version : Calder Festival of Speed July 7

rrbauer
07-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Tomorrow, Saturday July 7, Calder is hosting their Festival of Speed card that features 13 races, all sprints. The card includes three (3) turf sprints. There is a $1 P5 (all stakes) on races 7-11 and a $1 P4 on races 10-13. Last year they had a $500k guarantee on the P5-pool and a $100k guarantee on the late P4. Don't know about the guaranteed pools this year, but if you like to play sprints, check it out.

Maverick58034
07-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but race 12, the Smile Sprint Handicap G.2 (6 furlongs) looks to be quite a race, with FABULOUS STRIKE facing off against SMOKEY STOVER and 5 other entries.

Can't wait to see those fractional splits

-Mav

Tom
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I got a computer reminder this week - that I set up last year at some point during the SOS card. It reads:

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
DO NOT PLAY THE SUMMIT OF SPEED
DO NOT EVEN LOOK AT THE PPS
YOU WILL BE SORRY!

I think I didn't do too well last year. :(

ryesteve
07-06-2007, 10:27 AM
What happened to that 2f race they used to run?

ELA
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but race 12, the Smile Sprint Handicap G.2 (6 furlongs) looks to be quite a race, with FABULOUS STRIKE facing off against SMOKEY STOVER and 5 other entries.

Can't wait to see those fractional splits

-Mav

Looks like it could be an incredible race.

Interestingly enough the "speed" element has tended to be more melodramatic and theatrical than reality. Speed has kind of faltered for the most part, but we will see.

I haven't looked at the PP's, but obviously Beattie's horse -- according to the #'s -- is super-fast. To me, it's a question of class. Then again, a friend of mine used to say "if you are fast enough, nothing else matters", LOL.

I am not looking to play, however, I am looking because I have some friends with horses in, a few of the jocks are friends, and I'd like to see what these horses are doing, do, etc.

Eric

GaryG
07-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I like Smokey Stover. He looked incredible in his last race and could have gone faster. He can finish and is at his best when he has a target to run at. Hoping for a square price.

rrbauer
07-07-2007, 07:19 PM
The P5 paid over $42K for a buck. That is more than last year. The whole day was compromised by the races taken off the turf and by the track condition. TVG pretty much thumbed their nose at the whole card except for the 11th and 12th. Of course since they're losing Calder later this year they have no motivation to serve the betting public that's still interested in Calder.

The P5 pool was supposed to be a $500K guaranteed pool. In the charts the P5 pool is listed as being $135,187. If that amount is what was bet by the public then the track had to put in a bunch (like $365K) to get the pool to the guaranteed amount. If that's the case then Calder took it in the shorts on this one! Problem with that is that next year they will not be anxious to guarantee pool amounts.

Si2see
07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
nobody seemed to notice our fellow member and trainer Tom Schell had a huge 2nd place finish at 60-1 in the 2 year old stakes race today, and then 3rd and 4th in the 100k sprint. Congrats Tom :ThmbUp: Jason

karlskorner
07-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Thunderstorm during the 2nd race and a $41.00 horse out of the 13 hole in the 4th gave reason for the Track Super to send out 4 tractors across the track "clockwise" after the 4th. Changed everthing. The Track Super is either your best friend or worst enemy.

CryingForTheHorses
07-07-2007, 08:13 PM
nobody seemed to notice our fellow member and trainer Tom Schell had a huge 2nd place finish at 60-1 in the 2 year old stakes race today, and then 3rd and 4th in the 100k sprint. Congrats Tom :ThmbUp: Jason

Thanks Jason..The horses did the running...I did the hoping..Was a great day for Pee-Wee and my 2 8k claimers are pure warriors.

Drew
07-07-2007, 08:23 PM
That's on Extreme Day now.

GaryG
07-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Tom, Unimpeded was a pretty sharp claim. I hope you keep him and win some purses. :jump:

Drew
07-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Sorry rr. But I am not allowed to bet CRC due to the Tracknet impasse as a FL resident. I also have not desire to drive to that dump to be surrounded by elderly complainers. I am very happy with BEL and MTH. But if you look at the Attendance and Handles of CRC and GP there are many more like me.

gIracing
07-07-2007, 09:12 PM
i have a theory going that every thing on the west cost that isn't female should be automatically thrown out of evry race... the boys division, all of them, even the jockies aren't that good this year from the west side. Smokey Stover was 3/5 by winning in a restricted stakes and beating whoelse?

I stayed out, because I liked 3 horses and none of them had very high odds... but I took a HUGE stand against smokey stover. I don't bet anything out of CA until I see them run one time against others

GaryG
07-07-2007, 09:18 PM
i have a theory going that every thing on the west cost that isn't female should be automatically thrown out of evry race... the boys division, all of them, even the jockies aren't that good this year from the west side. Smokey Stover was 3/5 by winning in a restricted stakes and beating whoelse?

I stayed out, because I liked 3 horses and none of them had very high odds... but I took a HUGE stand against smokey stover. I don't bet anything out of CA until I see them run one time against othersDid you happen to see Black Seventeen today??

the_fat_man
07-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm a little confused here cause before the race all the IN-THE-KNOW speed/pace types are going on about SS and even Fabulous Strike. In fact, on that other forum there's a long thread devoted to the latter. And neither hits the board.:lol:

Freak this, freak that.

yeah

I suppose they 'weren't FAST ENOUGH' :D

DanG
07-07-2007, 09:35 PM

I stayed out, because I liked 3 horses and none of them had very high odds... but I took a HUGE stand against smokey stover. I don't bet anything out of CA until I see them run one time against others

California shippers over a very funky wet / drying out Calder strip…
RACE FINISH ODDS
6th 4 12-1
9th 2,3 2-1, 14-1
10th 1 3-2
11th 1,6,7 11-1, 6-1, 27-1
12th 3 6-5

8 / 2 – 1 – 2 :ThmbUp:

Not too shabby under very unusual circumstances IMO.

DanG
07-07-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm a little confused here cause before the race all the IN-THE-KNOW speed/pace types are going on about SS and even Fabulous Strike. In fact, on that other forum there's a long thread devoted to the latter. And neither hits the board.:lol:

Freak this, freak that.

yeah

I suppose they 'weren't FAST ENOUGH' :D
In one post Fats you can paint with an artists brush and then with posts like this you bring out the roller.

Really enjoy the artist’s side…these posts lead to nothing but animosity IMO.

BTW: HTR had the two favs up against it early using actual speed ratings!!! ;)

the_fat_man
07-07-2007, 10:06 PM
In one post Fats you can paint with an artists brush and then with posts like this you bring out the roller.

Really enjoy the artist’s side…these posts lead to nothing but animosity IMO.

BTW: HTR had the two favs up against it early using actual speed ratings!!! ;)

Line 'em all up for the firing squad.

depalma13
07-07-2007, 10:10 PM
The P5 paid over $42K for a buck. That is more than last year. The whole day was compromised by the races taken off the turf and by the track condition. TVG pretty much thumbed their nose at the whole card except for the 11th and 12th. Of course since they're losing Calder later this year they have no motivation to serve the betting public that's still interested in Calder.

The P5 pool was supposed to be a $500K guaranteed pool. In the charts the P5 pool is listed as being $135,187. If that amount is what was bet by the public then the track had to put in a bunch (like $365K) to get the pool to the guaranteed amount. If that's the case then Calder took it in the shorts on this one! Problem with that is that next year they will not be anxious to guarantee pool amounts.

Whoever the geniuses were that set up that bet need to be fired. They didn't take the bet for a dollar. Minimum was $2.

DanG
07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Line 'em all up for the firing squad.
LOL :lol:

I think partnership is out of the question Fats…Keep flying solo…your one of a kind!!! :jump:

Tom
07-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Usikkng MPH, FS had no chance in that race. He eas need to lead who did not have the early foot to get the lead. Trying, killed him off.
The two that hit for the exacta were ranked 3-4 in my readings.
But I do not bet Calder SoS races....ever again! Last year was enough to last me a lifetime. Calder is one of my least favorite tracks - usually loses out to a nap. :D

rrbauer
07-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Whoever the geniuses were that set up that bet need to be fired. They didn't take the bet for a dollar. Minimum was $2.

I bet it for a buck via Youbet and a friend bet it for a buck via the NJ internet betting site. It is Magna who does their P5 in the winter/spring for $2.

gIracing
07-08-2007, 03:19 PM
California shippers over a very funky wet / drying out Calder strip…
RACE FINISH ODDS
6th 4 12-1
9th 2,3 2-1, 14-1
10th 1 3-2
11th 1,6,7 11-1, 6-1, 27-1
12th 3 6-5

8 / 2 – 1 – 2 :ThmbUp:

Not too shabby under very unusual circumstances IMO.

Not bad, but not anything to write home about either. 25 percent win clip is a loosing win clip unless your are brigning home 20 to 1 shots every race.

I have always liked Black Seventeen, and he is going to be on of the better sprinters out there.

but Great Hunter, Stormello, Liquity, Cobalt blue, anything in the older division.. when they go against company outisde the socal circuit that's in their league, they usually d on't fair too well.

gIracing
07-08-2007, 03:20 PM

whoever ever was guranteeing a 500k pool at calder needs to be fired.

that's hollywood pick 6 money

GaryG
07-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Not bad, but not anything to write home about either. 25 percent win clip is a loosing win clip unless your are brigning home 20 to 1 shots every race.

I have always liked Black Seventeen, and he is going to be on of the better sprinters out there.

but Great Hunter, Stormello, Liquity, Cobalt blue, anything in the older division.. when they go against company outisde the socal circuit that's in their league, they usually d on't fair too well.Do you just make these statements off the wall or do you have anything to go on? Let's see some of this wisdom BEFORE a race is run.

jma
07-08-2007, 09:23 PM

but Great Hunter, Stormello, Liquity, Cobalt blue, anything in the older division.. when they go against company outisde the socal circuit that's in their league, they usually d on't fair too well.

Actually, if you were bringing in 3-1 shots, you'd break even winning 25 percent of the time. Don't let the truth get in the way of your usual though...:confused:

depalma13
07-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Than it was a tote machine failure because they weren't accepting it for a buck in Florida.