PDA

View Full Version : Ten Steps to Winning by Danny Holmes

Capper Al
07-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Hello Folks,

I'd like to extend a welcome to everyone in the pace advantage forum to join us on Saturday at 12 noon EST in the e-Ponies forum's Book of the Month Club.

Ten Steps to Winning is our inaugural Book of the Month selection. It is different than most other handicapping books. The handicapping formula given is flexible to the race type, not the usual speed or pace figures handicaps all. The wagering method is not matched by anything else in publication. A serious racing fan might read between the lines and see that this book was written from someone in the battle to win adjusting strategy to fit the circumstances of the play, not hoping to win by a set formula.

Danny Holmes, the author, will be discussing his book at 12 noon EST in the e-Ponies forum at

http://64.235.46.57/forum/

If you would like to see Cindy Pierson Dulay's review of Ten Steps to Winning click the follow:

http://www.horse-races.net/library/review-020905.htm

Hope to see you all there.

chrisl
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Great book and even greater person...Chrisl

banacek
07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
If you would like to see Cindy Pierson Dulay's review of Ten Steps to Winning click the follow:

I've got this book and I think it is a pretty decent book, but I don't buy most of the book reviews on this site. It is hard to be independent when they are selling the books through Amazon.

I've never seen a book on that site with a review below 4/5, but there could be some. Most are 4.5/5 and 5/5.

e.g.

Handicapping the Wall Street Way 4/5

Someone tell me how that would get 1 point out of 5.

Capper Al
07-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I agree with you. My rule of thumb is that if she gives the book 4/5 it's not good. But she does give one a lot of useful information when considering a book to buy. She was right on with Ten Steps to Winning by giving it 5/5.

I've got this book and I think it is a pretty decent book, but I don't buy most of the book reviews on this site. It is hard to be independent when they are selling the books through Amazon.

I've never seen a book on that site with a review below 4/5, but there could be some. Most are 4.5/5 and 5/5.

e.g.

Handicapping the Wall Street Way 4/5

Someone tell me how that would get 1 point out of 5.

befuddlem
07-05-2007, 06:42 PM
It would seem that you wrote this book Aspeteri???

befuddlem
07-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Great book and even greater person...Chrisl

Another newbie with a shameless plug!:sleeping:

Capper Al
07-05-2007, 06:45 PM
I have nothing to do with the book except that I read it and found it different from most other handicapping books. His handicapping method is flexible and his wagering methods makes sense with easy rules and lots of action.

befuddlem
07-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I have nothing to do with the book except that I read it and found it different from most other handicapping books. His handicapping method is flexible and his wagering methods makes sense with easy rules and lots of action.

Really? I find this hard to believe when I read your tag line

Tom
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Check out the site ......looks pretty legit to me, and I recognize some of the names there. They have other books they are planning on doing as well. Thanks for the invite, Apsiteri.

alydar
07-05-2007, 09:08 PM

I have known Aspetri for some time on the site he refers to. He isn't plugging anything. Just a handicapper who enjoys discussing the sport. Take the offer for what it is, a sincere invation for what should be an interesting discussion.

Capper Al
07-05-2007, 10:01 PM

Befuddlem,

I see you live up to your name. If you are referring to "What's the case for Pace?", I enjoy kidding pace handicappers. I do use pace myself in a mix with other factors.

andicap
07-06-2007, 01:54 AM
The author himself is a longtime member of PA under the Wizard of Odds banner. He's never really plugged any of his stuff here. I've exchaned emails with Danny and found him a very helpful and generous guy.

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2007, 03:24 AM
No problems with Danny/Wizard.

However, would someone please go to e-ponies and put up a post plugging the PTC Handicapping Challenge starting here at PaceAdvantage.Com on July 7th?

I'd do it myself, but that would be tacky....

Handiman
07-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I sat with Danny at the OTB here in Santa Rosa a few years back. I also have his book. The day I sat with him, his results were somewhat mixed. But he was doing handicapping seminar in the morning if I remember right, and his selections were based on the content of his book at that time. He said that he had a different betting strategy that he used normally, different than the one in the book. But it was too good to publicize or sell.He was an extremely nice guy and it was a fun afternoon. I actually hit a winner or two more than he did, but he was playing exotics also and hit a couple of nice ones, which made his day very profitable.

I'll be interested in seeing what he has to say.

Handiman

Overlay
07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
He said that he had a different betting strategy that he used normally, different than the one in the book. But it was too good to publicize or sell.

I'm not criticizing Mr. Holmes (I have his book), but it points up once again the two-edged sword of making conventional "pick-the-winner" handicapping methods or information widely available, where mutuel prices nosedive when the word gets out. The only way around it I've found is keeping all horses in a field in view for possible betting value, and using factors with sufficiently strong predictive power that when a horse exhibiting those factors goes off at high odds, it's because the public has genuinely underestimated its true winning chances.

alydar
07-06-2007, 10:51 AM

However, would someone please go to e-ponies and put up a post plugging the PTC Handicapping Challenge starting here at PaceAdvantage.Com on July 7th?

I'd be happy to do it.

Capper Al
07-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Alydar posted your contest. I did wonder it that was a taboo or not. The bottom line is that I wanted to assure Danny had a good audience for his time and trouble. I have read many post in this forum and know that some of your members would appreciate the interview. Hopefully in the end, this cross pollination between forums is a win/win. That's why I decided to do it. Thanks for your understanding.

Capper Al
07-06-2007, 04:58 PM
By the way folks, the interview with Danny Holmes on his book Ten Steps to Winning on Saturday (mentioned below) is set up for anyone to follow. The major points will be covered and explained. You won't have had to read the book to follow. Everything will be explained. Hope to see you there.

Hello Folks,

I'd like to extend a welcome to everyone in the pace advantage forum to join us on Saturday at 12 noon EST in the e-Ponies forum's Book of the Month Club.

Ten Steps to Winning is our inaugural Book of the Month selection. It is different than most other handicapping books. The handicapping formula given is flexible to the race type, not the usual speed or pace figures handicaps all. The wagering method is not matched by anything else in publication. A serious racing fan might read between the lines and see that this book was written from someone in the battle to win adjusting strategy to fit the circumstances of the play, not hoping to win by a set formula.

Danny Holmes, the author, will be discussing his book at 12 noon EST in the e-Ponies forum at

http://64.235.46.57/forum/

Hope to see you all there.

Greyfox
07-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks but dang I hate green writing. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Alydar posted your contest.

Much appreciated!

befuddlem
07-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Befuddlem,

I see you live up to your name. If you are referring to "What's the case for Pace?", I enjoy kidding pace handicappers. I do use pace myself in a mix with other factors.

I have no doubt, in spite of what you and a few others have said to the contrary. You are definitely trying to sell this book! If you didn't write it, you share meals with the penman that did! :bang:

Pace Cap'n
07-07-2007, 08:03 PM
I have no doubt, in spite of what you and a few others have said to the contrary. You are definitely trying to sell this book! If you didn't write it, you share meals with the penman that did! :bang:

If so, what of it? Why is it a concern of yours?

befuddlem
07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
If so, what of it? Why is it a concern of yours?

That's quite a response. I guess I'm not allowed to express my opinion. Why does this forum exist in the first place? There's always someone in the crowd who says what you just did.

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2007, 10:10 PM
That's quite a response. I guess I'm not allowed to express my opinion. Why does this forum exist in the first place?

It certainly does not exist to sustain pissing matches or silly arguments that might hold the interest of those involved, if that many....

If I don't have a problem with it (if I did, you'd know about it), then neither should you...

They promoted my little handicapping contest in return, so all is well....

Greyfox
07-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Groan,

Two problems here:

1. If you scratch my back, I'll scratch your back mentality.
The second lowest level of thinking and usually associated in a corporate domain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Kohlberg

Good for you befuddlem or whatever you are befuddling.

2. I was told similarly by an obvious interest to the study of proctology that
he didn't care about my opinion(PCAPN) on another thread.
Then he says to you:
"If so, what of it? Why is it a concern of yours?"

Then PA supported a long term contributor as a great guy, and implied an ad wasn't an ad. Well excuse me, b.s. doesn't baffle brains in this department.
The fact that this forum is hosting an ad on another thread where a
Member promises 21 % ROI on any track, any distance, and any surface, is absolutely scandalous.
This forum should be about honest expression of opinion.

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Then PA supported a long term contributor as a great guy, and implied an ad wasn't an ad. Well excuse me, b.s. doesn't baffle brains in this department.

Are you now saying that no member of this board can write about a product they find useful? Wow, talk about preventing someone from sharing honest expression. Lots of us know John, we've met him in person...ask Suff about John, he'll tell you all you need to know.

Being that we know John, we know he was putting up info on something he found USEFUL to him, NOT AN AD.

If we go by your definition of an AD then that would stifle almost ALL discussion about ANY commercial products, and that certainly is not the intent of these forums.

How's that for MY honest expression of opinion?

If you have something to add (good or bad) about the product John brought up, by all means, go right ahead.

If you have the facts to back up a claim that what John posted was false, by all means, please present them....Nobody is stopping you from writing your honest expression of anything.

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2007, 11:41 PM
BTW, I am the first person to jump down the throat of somebody posting what I consider a "free ad." Usually, I reserve this for someone who is clearly the vendor himself, or someone with a total post count of 2.

But, a line must be drawn when a regular guy member like John puts out for discussion something he's purchased and wants to talk about. Slack must be given, or else "honest expression of opinion" as you like to point out, will indeed suffer.

befuddlem
07-07-2007, 11:42 PM
It certainly does not exist to sustain pissing matches or silly arguments that might hold the interest of those involved, if that many....

If I don't have a problem with it (if I did, you'd know about it), then neither should you...

I beg to differ here. This whole site, if you read 90% of the threads, is about differing opinions, or so-called "pissing matches" as you like to call the ones you disagree with. PA don't fall into the mindless mentality that many in here express when they feel things aren't going their way.:bang:

Tom
07-07-2007, 11:52 PM
That's quite a response. I guess I'm not allowed to express my opinion. Why does this forum exist in the first place? There's always someone in the crowd who says what you just did.

It is his opinon, or isn't he allowed one, just you?

And Grefox, if you think John was posting an ad, you are just plain wrong and way off base. Maxspa shares things on the board as well - neither are selling a thing. Both are just posting about racing - something they both enjoy.

And as far as the book goes, they are planning other books for dicussion, so I think your comments about being the author or close to him are crap - as Andy pointed out, the author is already a respected member HERE.

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2007, 11:57 PM
I beg to differ here. This whole site, if you read 90% of the threads, is about differing opinions, or so-called "pissing matches" as you like to call the ones you disagree with.

You can bang your head all you wish, but in my book, there is a distinct and clear difference between differing opinions and "pissing matches," even though for some reason, you attribute my thinking on both of these terms as one in the same.

You're living under some very false assumptions if you believe that I view opinions that I disagree with as "pissing matches."

befuddlem
07-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Tom have you been reading this thread at all?
By your words, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I welcome anyone with a different opinion than my own, but when I'm told something should'nt be of any concern to me, I draw the line.

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 12:05 AM
I welcome anyone with a different opinion than my own, but when I'm told something should'nt be of any concern to me, I draw the line.

The person who told you it shouldn't be of any concern to you was me.

Why was that? Because you are offering up an opinion on the way I have moderated this thread (I have taken a hands off position in this instance). Since you are not a moderator, and I have expressed my views (being the Admin here) on the subject already, it now should not be of any concern to you. You have alerted me to a possible free ad (which I thank you for doing), and I have made my decision after taking in all of the available facts.

If it is still a concern to you, you are free to contact me privately.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 12:14 AM
The person who told you it shouldn't be of any concern to you was me.

Why was that? Because you are offering up an opinion on the way I have moderated this thread (I have taken a hands off position in this instance). Since you are not a moderator, and I have expressed my views (being the Admin here) on the subject already, it now should not be of any concern to you. You have alerted me to a possible free ad (which I thank you for doing), and I have made my decision after taking in all of the available facts.

If it is still a concern to you, you are free to contact me privately.

Honestly PA,

You have absolutley nothing to do with my opinion. I don't know that concern is the right word here, but I do believe that the Author of this book has posted in this very thread. If it doesn't bother you, I don't care. But, I do find it of interest to me.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 12:19 AM
BTW, I click on your Google ads periodically in an attempt to support your site.

Greyfox
07-08-2007, 12:33 AM
If you have something to add (good or bad) about the product John brought up, by all means, go right ahead.

If you have the facts to back up a claim that what John posted was false, by all means, please present them....Nobody is stopping you from writing your honest expression of anything.

I presented the facts that were presented in this very forum, back in
November.
A poster named "Wolsons" came up with a -4 % r.o.i. in 130 bets placed on this site.
An ad now appears in the DRF. It now appears here.
A "trusted" long time poster posts it.
But, it isn't an ad, because this poster is well known and liked by the forum.

Now all of a sudden there is a 21 % r.o.i. checked out by one of the few respondents that ever answered the original Wolson threads when he was posting that miserable r.o.i.
It turns out that respondent is also the one who posted the value of this method. I'm glad that it works for him, as he says.

I am willing to discuss the value of any product.
For example, let's take any of Andy Beyer's books or Jim Bradshaw's books. Or for that matter any other new ideas that emerge with respect to this difficult game.
They are worth discussing. But when someone posts the address and price where they can become obtained, that becomes an ad.
If you don't see that, you don't see that.

Sponsoring a supposed product with a supposed 21 % r.o.i. at any track and any surface at any distance along with the price and postal address is very questionable for any board with integrity. Especially so, when the possible author has posted here demonstrating a -4 % r.o.i over 130 selections that were likely very carefully considered.
(Oh. Did I mention it takes but minutes per race to figure out.:lol: )

The fact that a lot of people who are not members also tune in to this board,who are looking for racing ideas, and who may not have the acumen of many of the talented presenters here, has to also be considered.
Justifying the presentation of that ad because so and so is a nice guy,
and he's been here a long time, and you can meet him at Saratoga, doesn't cut it with me.
An ad is independent of who you are! It's just that simple.
If the Pope puts an ad here, it's still an ad!

When 25 members or non-members take the bait and send their $ 40 in
for the sure-fire 21 % r.o.i. you PA can be culpable for standing by without
at least saying, "Buyer Beware - but sounds like a good deal if true."
You didn't say that.

In three months, posters who go for the bait may be checking in here.
They possibly will be saying:
1." I tried it. It's the best thing since sliced cheese, I'm now buying a new house."
2. "I tried it and went broke."
3. "It was fun and I couldn't make money from it but I learned. "
4. "What a pile of....."

The proof will be in the eating of the pudding.
There is nothing wrong in mentioning the pudding on this site.
There is nothing wrong in with discussing it's merits, and possible weaknesses.
But as a person who knows horse racing well, my bets are on choices
2, 3, and 4 above.

The good news is that a poster by the moniker of Light also raised questions.
While Light and I don't always agree, we do on that call.

To out and out front for where you can buy the pudding is advertising.
I'm washing my hands of that promotion. Buyer Beware!

DanG
07-08-2007, 12:55 AM
I presented the facts that were presented in this very forum, back in
November.
A poster named "Wolsons" came up with a -4 % r.o.i. in 130 bets placed on this site.
An ad now appears in the DRF. It now appears here.
A "trusted" long time poster posts it.
But, it isn't an ad, because this poster is well known and liked by the forum.

Now all of a sudden there is a 21 % r.o.i. checked out by one of the few respondents that ever answered the original Wolson threads when he was posting that miserable r.o.i.
It turns out that respondent is also the one who posted the value of this method. I'm glad that it works for him, as he says.

I am willing to discuss the value of any product.
For example, let's take any of Andy Beyer's books or Jim Bradshaw's books. Or for that matter any other new ideas that emerge with respect to this difficult game.
They are worth discussing. But when someone posts the address and price where they can become obtained, that becomes an ad.
If you don't see that, you don't see that.

Sponsoring a supposed product with a supposed 21 % r.o.i. at any track and any surface at any distance along with the price and postal address is very questionable for any board with integrity. Especially so, when the possible author has posted here demonstrating a -4 % r.o.i over 130 selections that were likely very carefully considered.
(Oh. Did I mention it takes but minutes per race to figure out.:lol: )

The fact that a lot of people who are not members also tune in to this board,who are looking for racing ideas, and who may not have the acumen of many of the talented presenters here, has to also be considered.
Justifying the presentation of that ad because so and so is a nice guy,
and he's been here a long time, and you can meet him at Saratoga, doesn't cut it with me.
An ad is independent of who you are! It's just that simple.
If the Pope puts an ad here, it's still an ad!

When 25 members or non-members take the bait and send their $ 40 in
for the sure-fire 21 % r.o.i. you PA can be culpable for standing by without
at least saying, "Buyer Beware - but sounds like a good deal if true."
You didn't say that.

In three months, posters who go for the bait may be checking in here.
They possibly will be saying:
1." I tried it. It's the best thing since sliced cheese, I'm now buying a new house."
2. "I tried it and went broke."
3. "It was fun and I couldn't make money from it but I learned. "
4. "What a pile of....."

The proof will be in the eating of the pudding.
There is nothing wrong in mentioning the pudding on this site.
There is nothing wrong in with discussing it's merits, and possible weaknesses.
But as a person who knows horse racing well, my bets are on choices
2, 3, and 4 above.

The good news is that a poster by the moniker of Light also raised questions.
While Light and I don't always agree, we do on that call.

To out and out front for where you can buy the pudding is advertising.
I'm washing my hands of that promotion. Buyer Beware!
I have no idea or could care less what you’re talking about but IMHO Greyfox & Befuddlem…your either making total asses out of yourselves or you have zero lives what so ever… :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Greyfox
07-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I have no idea or could care less what you’re talking about but IMHO Greyfox & Befuddlem…your either making total asses out of yourselves or you have zero lives what so ever… :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

What brilliance.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 01:03 AM

Wow...this guy's feathers have been ruffled...:ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Greyfox, why have you completely mucked up these threads? You're talking about a completely different thread now, totally confusing.

In any event, didn't this Wolson guy show a profit after posting 500 races on this board? Or is this another Wolson we're talking about? It's so very confusing at this point.

And for the record, the DRF ad was deleted from John's post....

Greyfox
07-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Don't worry befuddlem. He spends his "life" posting meaningless messages on another forum and between sips comes to this one.

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Is Greyfox and befuddlem the new P.A. Tag Team Dynamic Duo? Reminds me of a certain scene from the classic comedy Midnight Run.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Is Greyfox and befuddlem the new P.A. Tag Team Dynamic Duo? Reminds me of a certain scene from the classic comedy Midnight Run.

You don't seem to want to let this thing go PA. I told you this wasn't about your moderation skills. When I get spam in my mailbox, I don't scream at my ip provider. That's what this is about for me OK???

Greyfox
07-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Greyfox, why have you completely mucked up these threads? You're talking about a completely different thread now, totally confusing.

In any event, didn't this Wolson guy show a profit after posting 500 races on this board? Or is this another Wolson we're talking about? It's so very confusing at this point.

And for the record, the DRF ad was deleted from John's post....

Check out your post to me. In post # 25 of this thread I was giving support to befuddlem.
In post # 26 you came back and mentioned re: John.
Since you asked me about that within this thread, I responded within this thread. There was no intent to take this of Aspiteri.

And if Wolson showed a profit after 500 races on this board, please direct me to where I can find it. I found one with a 130 post -4 %.

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Why should I let it go? Ya'll are accusing a guy of intentionally posting an ad, when his only motivation was to share what he learned from buying a commercial product. Yeah, he posted the contact info, and yeah, that would be pretty suspicious if it came from someone who nobody has ever heard of who only had 5 posts. And if that HAD been the case, I would have immediately deleted the post and we would be done with this nonsense.

But like I said, you have to draw the line somewhere, and knowing John personally like I and many others do, we tried to EXPLAIN to you and Greyfox the circumstances surrounding John's post (and believe me, I do realize what an incredible waste of time this has been).

After all this, it is clear that it is not *I* who is unwilling to let this go.

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Check out your post to me. In post # 25 of this thread I was giving support to befuddlem.
In post # 26 you came back and mentioned re: John.

Yeah, 'cause YOU brought up the John thread in post #25!

Come on man....even you can't be serious at this point.

Greyfox
After all this, it is clear that it is not *I* who is unwilling to let this go.
:lol:
Good one.

befuddlem
Yeah, he posted the contact info, and yeah, that would be pretty suspicious if it came from someone who nobody has ever heard of who only had 5 posts.

Apeteri, the starter of this thread has a total of 14 posts.
I rest my case:)

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Apeteri, the starter of this thread has a total of 14 posts.
I rest my case:)

And I think I voiced my displeasure with the post in my own muted way.

The way I read it, Apeteri has nothing to do with the book, and everything to do with the e-ponies website. He was promoting his website first and foremost, which is why, when I got similar promotion on his website, I felt things were settled.

Do you wish to go on all night long? 'Cause I can do that....

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Ensuing posters Chrisel, and Alydar with 15, and 19 posts respectively both showed strong support for Aspeteri. You don't think this was 3 guys getting together to try and sell the book??

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Ensuing posters Chrisel, and Alydar with 15, and 19 posts respectively both showed strong support for Aspeteri. You don't think this was 3 guys getting together to try and sell the book??

There's been LOTS of posters lately with relatively few posts...I attribute that to the contest....

It could also be 3 guys getting together to promote e-ponies....

What exactly are you arguing here? Seems to me you're arguing that I should have taken down these threads in question. Is that what you're saying? But, on the other hand, you've already stated this isn't about my moderation.

So really, what is going on here?

Like I said, I'm here all night for you buddy....

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Like I said, I'm here all night for you buddy....

I sense a bit of anger in your words. You have your opinion, and I have mine, I think we'll just leave it at that. ;)

PaceAdvantage
07-08-2007, 02:01 AM
I sense a bit of anger in your words.

You know, I said the same thing to Greyfox in a PM months ago....

If anything, I'm goofing around....not angry at all...

chrisl
07-08-2007, 04:03 AM
it is chrisl....HELLO

lsosa54
07-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm sure I'll be accused of something since I only have a few posts but that's because I'm new to the board. When I saw names like Dick Schmidt, Dave Schwarz, and Ron Tiller posting here, I thought I might learn something in my now 19 year off again, on again quest to generate a consistent profit at this profession. I went through my Sartin phase back in the late 80's attending some seminars in Beaumont and mostly being completely frustrated trying to make a profit and Tom Brohamer was kind enough to meet me at a donut shop to answer some questions. Reading stuff from posters like CJ gave me further hope along those lines.

Al Spiteri is known as "Capper Al" over on the E Ponies forums. He's got 1797 posts over there and joined back in Aug 2005. From my perusal of the E Ponies boards back in 2006, Capper Al is a good guy, always willing to help. I'm sure he's worked hard trying to set up these book interviews starting with Danny Holmes and continuing with Steve Klein mid August.

I doubt if he had any other motive than to try to get some PA members to join in the "chat" with Danny Holmes. You can see the results of that here and someone made a pdf of the chat, since it was sometimes hard to follow:

http://64.235.46.57/forum/showthread.php?t=5780

BTW, I can see where both sides of the argument concerning this thread would feel the way they might feel but again, my thought is Capper Al had no bad intent here. Nowhere in the "chat" with Danny Holmes did Capper Al ask Danny for info on "where folks could purchase his book". Danny did put some picks up for Churchill yesterday, which I have no problem with.

The posts by Grindstone (Liam, the owner of the E Ponies site) and Capper Al should on the last page of the link make it clear that they had no hidden agendas.

My 2 cents.

P.S. I'm in the process of searching the old threads but I'd love to hear from folks like CJ and Hillstrom Hjack , etc., how they became consistent profit generators. I will never generate figs like CJ's (I know his are closed to new folks for now) and I know duplicating Mr. Hillstroms's style is impossible, but I sure would like to hear the steps that they or anyone else have taken. Hard work is not a problem.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 11:21 AM
it is chrisl....HELLO

Yes with your 16 posts you're just a regular household name around here.

Sorry Chisel

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I doubt if he had any other motive than to try to get some PA members to join in the "chat" with Danny Holmes.

His motive, whether he's a good guy or not, is money!

lsosa54
07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
His motive, whether he's a good guy or not, is money!

I respectfully beg to differ but whatever.

headhawg
07-08-2007, 11:28 AM
His motive, whether he's a good guy or not, is money!And your motive for these inane posts is what exactly?

lsosa54
07-08-2007, 11:28 AM
BTW, what is it with the constant reference to the "number of posts" around here?! What is it, some badge of honor? My first initial is L, my last name is Sosa, and I was born in 1954. Ho hidden agendas.

Tom
07-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Lsosa...wlecome.
Check out the archives - there is wealth of stuff there you will never find in a book anywhere.

Befuddled - pretty quick with baseless accusations. How about some PROOF for a change? Frankly, I doubt many here give a damn about your opinion. Put up or shut up.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Lsosa...wlecome.
Check out the archives - there is wealth of stuff there you will never find in a book anywhere.

Befuddled - pretty quick with baseless accusations. How about some PROOF for a change? Frankly, I doubt many here give a damn about your opinion. Put up or shut up.

Who gives you the right to tell me to put up or shut up?
And quite frankly, I don't give a damn about your opinion.
I mean, you're like a hummingbird in here, you just jump in and post without reading, and then you tell me to put up or shut up. Why???

DanG
07-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Don't worry befuddlem. He spends his "life" posting meaningless messages on another forum and between sips comes to this one.
Sorry Grey, I missed this earlier…

Guilty as charged!!! :jump:

Greyfox
07-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Sorry Grey, I missed this earlier…

Guilty as charged!!! :jump:

It's not all that bad over at the other forum.
Let me at least give your forum a plug and this isn't an ad, from what I can determine.
http://www.homebased2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=110990

And befuddlem, I thought that you had rested your case?

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 12:28 PM
And befuddlem, I thought that you had rested your case?

When spoken to as you, as you just have, it usually merits a response.

Donnie
07-08-2007, 12:44 PM
what can I trade in my 131 posts for? Anything? :D

(uhhh. make that 132 with this one! I'm better at skeeball!)

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
BTW, what is it with the constant reference to the "number of posts" around here?! What is it, some badge of honor? My first initial is L, my last name is Sosa, and I was born in 1954. Ho hidden agendas.

The reference to number of posts as it pertains to this thread should be quite obvious. If I have a product to spam you with, all I've got to do is sign up here, make a few posts, and then begin plugging away. Chisel even had the audacity to tell me to get my spelling correct, as if people should automatically know who he is. That's why I mentioned his 16 posts. And no,
I don't see number of posts as a badge of honor. Particularily, when you see who the number 1 poster is on this site.

DanG
07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
It's not all that bad over at the other forum.
Let me at least give your forum a plug and this isn't an ad, from what I can determine.
http://www.homebased2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=110990

Grey;

In both forums I am just a pawn typing my thoughts just like everyone else. I have zero affiliation with either, other than I use HTR and really enjoy this forum.

This would really get vanilla in a hurry if we all agreed. :)

I will say IMHO…

I do get a kick out of people telling Mike (PA in this case) how to run his board and / or challenging him on “rules” concerning advertising etc…I always consider a forum like this a privilege and not a constitutional right.

For my money Mike could ban myself or anyone he chooses because he is providing the vehicle that we use. I can’t imagine coming on here and attempting to call him out on virtually any decision he makes frankly.

BTW Grey: I’m not referring to you except the clarification that I have no actual affiliation with the HTR forum other than occasionally providing hot-air. :D

DanG
07-08-2007, 12:50 PM
what can I trade in my 131 posts for? Anything? :D

(uhhh. make that 132 with this one! I'm better at skeeball!)
LOL…:D

Now in all seriousness, there is a man who provides much more than hot air. I like to pontificate and offer opinions and Donnie actually helps with many issues people have and is VERY generous with his time. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Donnie
07-08-2007, 01:28 PM
....this from a guy with ONLY 743 posts? What to think??

....I'll take it as a compliment. LOL!!

Back to seriousness.....
You will be missed in a couple weeks Dan! Not only by me but from everyone "over on the other side". Maybe you can whip up a quick powerpoint presentation.....or a slide show. I'll present it in your honor. One of these years you need to kick that event up to the very top of your prioirty list!
<see? not one shred of advertising>

P.S.-- I did attend the interview with Danny Holmes. Very well presented and worth the hour and a half it lasted. Bravo to them! And thanks to this board, else I woulda never heard anything of it!!

Donnie
07-08-2007, 01:31 PM
PA--
Can I get my handle changed? All of a sudden I feel dirty!!
And I don't want to lose my esteemed notority with all those post counts!! :lol:

<sorry. bored today. waiting for MNR to fire up>

Greyfox
07-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I always consider a forum like this a privilege and not a constitutional right.

I'll second that motion. We agree.
One half of my family lived in serfdom until the late 19 th Century.
The Laird was in charge. They worked the land.
It was a "privilege" for them to live there. However, that did not mean that they never pointed out to the Laird when they thought some type of atrocity was pending. I spoke up simply because I foresaw the possibility of scam, in the absence of better evidence than just one members word.
That scam was re: another thread. But similar posters were piping in
with their tin whistles to a poster in this thread who was pointing out to them what he/she perceived to be going on here.
On that other thread, I was also immediately jumped upon by various "old timers."
Some posters on this board have a tendency to do that.
They shoot the messenger rather than look at the message.
Alternatively, certain messengers are taken as "Gospel," no matter how supercilious their messages are.
Those may simply be perceptions of mine. But at least I sleep better at night knowing that I pointed out the need for buyer beware. I suspect a Jungian archetype still lingers in my gene pool.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 01:36 PM
P.S.-- I did attend the interview with Danny Holmes. Very well presented and worth the hour and a half it lasted. Bravo to them! And thanks to this board, else I woulda never heard anything of it!!

Can you explain what was you thought was so great about this interview?

Donnie
07-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Here we go again.....

"great" I musted have missed that word in my post. I stated I fet it was worth the hour and a half.

What is with you people on this board?

Ohhhhhh I get it. Let's try to rattle his cage. :lol:

Maybe Greyfox = Befuddled...???

Same problem a couple days ago.

Maybe you can tell me why you thought it "sucked". Your words not mine. Or maybe it's the way you are using them? :bang:

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Here we go again.....

"great" I musted have missed that word in my post. I stated I fet it was worth the hour and a half.

What is with you people on this board?

Ohhhhhh I get it. Let's try to rattle his cage. :lol:

Same problem a couple days ago.

Maybe you can tell me why you thought it "sucked". Your words not mine. Or maybe it's the way you are using them? :bang:

Nice way of saying that you actually did not take in the interview.

Greyfox
07-08-2007, 01:46 PM

Excuse me. I have a right to my own identity sir.

DanG
07-08-2007, 01:54 PM
One of these years you need to kick that event up to the very top of your prioirty list!
<see? not one shred of advertising>

Kills me not to be there Donnie;

I know you guys will have Saratoga on a monitor in the banquet room and I’ll be thinking of you. :ThmbUp:

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:00 PM
from Greyfox in a post a couple days ago....

I'm glad that you found PM's comments profound, I didn't.

I NEVER used the word profound, but I did learn you can have words mean anything you want if it's approved by Winnie the Pooh or someone!

Today from Buffdledumb---

Can you explain what was you thought was so great about this interview?

Once again...never used the word "great". But I guess that was the intrepretation of my words.

Back to your question.....for me personally, I have the original copy of this book and I found out that the method has changed. Also that the betting system has changed. Valuable to me? Yes. You wanna buy a book?

A viewer asked a question about what was meant by "closest to the wire?" Valuable to me? Yes.

Since e-ponies is hoping to continue this same process, I got to see their process on a book/authour that I may not of had as much interest in as those that they hope to schedule in the future. Understand the process: valuable to me? Yes.

How does he use his process in tournament play? (Danny has won 3 tournaments) Valuable to me? Yes. Since I love tournament play, now is NOT the time to stop learning.

Now. Your turn. Why did you say it sucked??

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Nice way of saying that you actually did not take in the interview.

Hey Jackass-
Why don't go scroll to the last couple pages and check out who cleaned up the text of the interview and then converted it to a pdf and then put up a
link to said PDF so all could read the entire interview easier. :bang: '

Then come back here and tell me I did not attend!

Maybe Tom was right.....?? :lol:

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Excuse me. I have a right to my own identity sir.

You are correct. My sincerest apologies to Greyfox.

Befuddlem = Jackass

Split personalities!!

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 02:08 PM

I NEVER used the word profound, but I did learn you can have words mean anything you want if it's approved by Winnie the Pooh or someone!

Today from Buffdledumb---

Once again...never used the word "great". But I guess that was the intrepretation of my words.

Now. Your turn. Why did you say it sucked??

You are one cranky cat! I asked you a simple question, and you go off in a tirade, and have now resorted to name calling etc. etc. I was paraphrasing your sentence, when I used the word "great". When a person says he really thought something was worthwhile, and well worth the 1&1/2 hours, I think it is fair to sum it up by saying he thought the interview was "great.

As for the interview, I have not yet taken it in yet. I was asking you a fair question, and you run your mouth off, because you felt it was fashionable to bash me.

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:10 PM
OK....round 2.....

tell if this is true or false:

worthwhile = great

befuddlem
You are correct. My sincerest apologies to Greyfox.

Befuddlem = Jackass

Split personalities!!

Now you've taken this to a different level. Where do I say anything in this thread that warrants these types of comments?

Greyfox

??

Excuse me. I write a post explaining how this board has a tendency to attack messengers rather than look a the content and quality of a post.
Then immediately you insult me and probably befuddlem by saying we are equal and the same. A classic example of the type of posting that I think we need less of.
Would you please consider addressing issues rather than trying to insult me. And I might also add this insult was sent moments after I had given HTR a favorable plug.

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
OK....round 2.....

tell if this is true or false:

worthwhile = great

I did attend the interview with Danny Holmes. Very well presented and worth the hour and a half it lasted. Bravo to them! And thanks to this board, else I woulda never heard anything of it!! = GREAT????

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Heres my beef...and many here do this....you twist a person's post with your words. You twist the words into a context of totally different meaning. Maybe you should stop. Take a deep breath. Good. Now actually read a post before you reply. And try (please try) to understand what the poster is saying. Then without twisting it, ask a sensible question.

Befuddlem----your question should have been "What did you find worthwhile?" Instead, what did you find so great?

My point in asking what did you think sucked about the interview is my "intrpretation" from your question that you did not appreciate the time you spent there...? Right? Wrong? Doesn't matter. You never said it sucked so if I follow along, it ok to ask what you thought sucked, 'cause that is how I took your words to mean!

Did I mention I am bored?

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Ok let me break it down for you:

<Jesus Christ-- this MAY send me back to church on Sunday mornings!!>

I did attend the interview with Danny Holmes....yes I did. But was almost accused of not by Befuddlem. ????? Why?

Very well presented... Not using a chat room I felt they did a wonderful job of moderating what could have become a clusterf*ck in an open forum like a public board. Capper Al kept control! Nice job!!!

...and worth the hour and a half it lasted. Hard to imagine I got anything out of it. Read the above post and maybe you will figure I did! Maybe not!

Bravo to them! First time doing this, I repeat, they did a wonderful job. I was praising the board and the people who made it happen.

And thanks to this board, else I woulda never heard anything of it!! This is thanking PA for allowing the link to stand. I know PA realizes no board is an island.

Now, where, again, do you derive the word "great"?

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Heres my beef...and many here do this....you twist a person's post with your words. You twist the words into a context of totally different meaning. Maybe you should stop. Take a deep breath. Good. Now actually read a post before you reply. And try (please try) to understand what the poster is saying. Then without twisting it, ask a sensible question.

Befuddlem----your question should have been "What did you find worthwhile?" Instead, what did you find so great?

My point in asking what did you think sucked about the interview is my "intrpretation" from your question that you did not appreciate the time you spent there...? Right? Wrong? Doesn't matter. You never said it sucked so if I follow along, it ok to ask what you thought sucked, 'cause that is how I took your words to mean!

Did I mention I am bored?

You are splitting hairs. Words like "Bravo", and "Worthwhile". Led me to think you thought it was a decent interview. I used the word great..big deal.

You are the person who needs to try and understand what is being said in a post. I asked you a simple question, and you started in with the insults.
I don't know who Greyfox is either, and for you to state matter of factly, that we are one and the same is absolute b.s.

I know you think you are being smart by bashing me and gaining points with the members of this forum. Who cares?? Just speak your mind without trying to impress anyone.

Dave Schwartz
07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Donnie,

Thank you for the PDF. It was well-done and a great time saver from reading the threads.

To them who would clutter the landscape:

Perhaps you should consider saving your passionate opinions for the discussion of the validity of the materials. Did you like them? Do you think the ideas had merit? Could they add to your handicapping? Could something be learned from the materials? If you could not benefit from the materials who could? A beginner? An advanced player? Everybody? Nobody?

IMHO, the material should stand on its own in terms of validity. This thread was an (I would assume) honest attempt to make people aware that a someone in the racing world was going to be available for discussion.

To he who provided the invitation:

Thank you! That website deserves a thorough reading.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
(Who admits to being more-than-intrigued by Steve Wolson's numbers as well as Danny Holmes book.)

PS: (Note to Danny: Geez... how many times do I have to buy this book to get the current one? <G> Seems like you update it faster than I can buy it.)

Capper Al
07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
The interview went well. Danny was a delight to interview. It was our first time and our format was a little bumpy during the live portion because of lag time between questions and answers. If one goes back and reads the interview, now after the fact, it flows wonderfully and is a good piece of handicapping reading. We will be doing The Power of Early Speed next month with author Steve Klein. And no, I don't get anything out of this except the satisfaction of promoting handicapping ideas with other interested cappers.

I'd like to thank the site administrator for correctly making the call about the promotion of Holmes' interview and not pulling my posting. I like to thank Alydar for posting the ad for your contest on e-Ponies. I like to thank any of your members that might of viewed the interview, and I would like to thank Danny Holmes a member on your site. I'll be looking forward to swapping postings next month with you again.

Thanks

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:33 PM
and for you to state matter of factly, that we are one and the same is absolute b.s.
YUP!!! Always start my "matter of factly" with the word "maybe".

Points for the members of this forum...?????? :lol: :lol:

If you knew me, you would still be rolling on the floor!! Now THAT my son is RICH!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Thank you very much for the LAUGH!!!

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Dave--
You are welcome! (I don't think I was even there tho! :faint: )
When I attend any of the others, I will probably do the same...I hate wading thru message boards.

Aspiteri--
Thanks for the invite! The session was great!! (redefined, I guess, today!) Looking forward to your next! Kudos for a job well done!!

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 02:39 PM
YUP!!! Always start my "matter of factly" with the word "maybe".

Points for the members of this forum...?????? :lol: :lol:

If you knew me, you would still be rolling on the floor!! Now THAT my son is RICH!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Thank you very much for the LAUGH!!!

If you are laughing so loud, why did you jump in with the insults?
Childish name calling etc. etc. I could resort to the same with you, but I won't.
Go back and reread your posts! Some of the words you have used are complete GARBAGE!

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:48 PM
...maybe because if you can do anything you want, then so should I be able to. (twist my words??? I think not!)

I'll quote Tom....Put up or shut up!!

Interesting how you are now coming around to my name calling. I usually do that to get the attention of someone....like when I call my kids in for supper! They listen tho. And I only have to use their given names, not some derivative.

....... :lol: :lol:

Sorry....still laughing!! It's that line about me trying to impress someone......

....... :lol: :lol:

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:51 PM
you.... :lol: ....don't.... :lol: ....even..... :lol: ....know me!!! :lol:

....and yet you are so quick to judge! :lol:

Donnie
07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
...ok. all done. Back to civility. My bad. I am no longer bored. Back to my Lurker position. But, geez, thanks guys! Look how many posts I have now!! :)

befuddlem
07-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Man, I do know you, and I aint impressed. WOW!