PDA

View Full Version : internet connection problems question

ljb
07-05-2007, 07:15 AM
I use an isp that sends signal over air. Have antenna to receive signal. Occasionally, when i fire up computer the message comes up "internet connected signal good. However I cannot open a browser. Right clicking on icon and then status will show: packets sent 145 packets received 5 or some similar numbers. My thoughts are the provider is overloaded with users, is this a correct assumption?

DJofSD
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Who's the ISP?

What do you have to do to establish a good connection when the problem happens?

Have you used the IPCONFIG /ALL command before, during and after the problem? Can you always PING the box on your end of the connection that provides the link to the ISP -- access point?

ljb
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Who's the ISP?
I use a local company called speednetllc.com

What do you have to do to establish a good connection when the problem happens?

I have tried using the repair feature. I have also unplugged the modem for a re-boot.
Have you used the IPCONFIG /ALL command before, during and after the problem? Can you always PING the box on your end of the connection that provides the link to the ISP -- access point?
I have not tried the ipconfig/all command. and I have not pinged do not recall the exact process to do so.
This problem comes and goes. Today I have good connection and good speed. Last night I could not open any browser for some time.

DJofSD
07-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Strictly guessing: perhaps the DHCP server is not able to assign you an IP address or there's a duplicate. Repair just "frees" all IP addresses on your LAN from the current client then re obtains them.

Here's another company that might be able to give you wireless access to the internet: http://www.clearwire.com/index.php

FD: I'm long on CLWR

ljb
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks. I was on youbet most of afternoon with no problems. About 5:20 pm it stalled. I could not get on any browser. I got through to tech support and he had me re-boot router and Locked me on a tower. Said i was on roam and that may be why it was dropping in and out. Don't know but it is working fine `now. Best wishes on your long.