PDA

View Full Version : New Monmouth Track Record for 3/4 Mile.

tomcalta
07-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Today, at Monmouth, the track was lightening fast with sprinters running 6 furlongs under 1:09 all day. In the Jersey Shore BC Stakes, Idiot Proof broke Gilded Time's track record from 1992 of 1:07.84 with a 7 1/4 length romp in 1:07.2. The hore was leading by at least 2-3 lengths in the final 1/16 and could have easily completed the race in hand. Instead the jock whipped the horse to the wire prioritizing the record before winning the race and before the welfare of the horse. I am no PETA advocate, but i really don't like unnecessary and excessive whipping during the races.
Do a few extra snaps of the stick to break a record make it okay?:confused:
I am a huge racing fan and i think it was great that the record was finally broken, but i would have rather seen it done in a different fashion.

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=39616

Interested in your thoughts...

o_crunk
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
saw it live and i didn't think much of that extra 'umph' from the jock that you describe. i'd rather have a jock focus and get the horse to the line than someone like pablo fragosa forget where the finish line is, like he did in the feature at philly today.

and, btw, they sure do have a new surface at mth...CONCRETE. sheesh. i've never seen a pronounce bias like that through the first half of the dirt portion of the card. helped me key a stretch out in a statebred race that really lit my dat up!

Overlay
07-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Today, at Monmouth, the track was lightning fast...

A long-range preview for the Breeders' Cup?

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 10:48 AM
These horses were flying... 5/8 in :55, :56? 1/2 in :41.3?? I am interested to see where this horse goes after this race. Maybe it was a fluke since the track was so fast, but... maybe not. Track management has def. done something different this year having new records for many turf and dirt distances thus far in the meet.

It's funny (but also sad) the race was called the Jersey Shore BC Stakes, but not one J-bred in the race and basically all shippers.

kenwoodallpromos
07-05-2007, 12:12 PM
"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
road roller
Steam-powered roller
An old diesel road rollerA Road roller (sometimes called a roller-compactor, or just roller) is an engineering vehicle used to compact soil, gravel, concrete, or asphalt in the construction of roads and foundations."

jma
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
These horses were flying... 5/8 in :55, :56? 1/2 in :41.3?? I am interested to see where this horse goes after this race. Maybe it was a fluke since the track was so fast, but... maybe not. Track management has def. done something different this year having new records for many turf and dirt distances thus far in the meet.

There's a new dirt surface this year, and it's the second year for the turf. Obviously there have been very fast times on both surfaces, though I don't think that's a new thing for the turf. On other posts, people have mentioned the Breeders Cup and what biases may be present for those races. Keep in mind that there will be a 7-week gap between the end of the meet and when racing resumes for the Breeders Cup weekend. Who knows what weather, maintenance, etc. will be like during that period? It might not be as easy as it seems to project what the track will be like that weekend. We'll see.

statik27
07-05-2007, 12:36 PM

It's funny (but also sad) the race was called the Jersey Shore BC Stakes, but not one J-bred in the race and basically all shippers.

I think the half was 43.1, which is still smoking. Monmouth has had an old Keeneland-esque speed bias the last mouth and if it continues throught the breeders cup it could get ugly for confirmed closers.

toetoe
07-05-2007, 12:47 PM
tomcalta,

This here's the Broken Record (no pun intended). I must say for the thousandth time that, the belief of yourself and that jockey notwithstanding, whipping the horse could NOT --- I repeat, NOT shave anywhere near 1/2 second off the final 1/16 fraction.

As to the advisability of whipping, hey --- let's forbid it, or curtail it. I guess for changing leads, etc. it's useful. :confused:

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 01:32 PM
tomcalta,

This here's the Broken Record (no pun intended). I must say for the thousandth time that, the belief of yourself and that jockey notwithstanding, whipping the horse could NOT --- I repeat, NOT shave anywhere near 1/2 second off the final 1/16 fraction.

As to the advisability of whipping, hey --- let's forbid it, or curtail it. I guess for changing leads, etc. it's useful. :confused:

I have heard many, including state vets say that whipping does not do much to get the horse to move faster. Which kind of confused me. I have seen horses come off the track literally bleeding from the flanks, stifle, etc. The jocks get taken aside and get a lecture. But how can you permit whipping a horse in a race but then condemn it when it becomes excessive?

You are right it should be one or the other... But hey, at least the TBs have not reached harness racing's low: a colt at freehold had his scrotum ripped open from a whip between his legs...:(

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
thanks statik, it was 43.1 for the 1/2... and you are absolutely right. Did you see what happenned to Lawyer Ron Last month in the Salvatore Mile??? He lost to a horse that had earned an eighth of LR's lifetime. Gotcha Gold just sped out to the lead and never looked back... LR couldnt reel him before the wire.

**Longshots on BC Day**

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 01:50 PM
from another thread:
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/05/sports/EU-SPT-RAC-Dettori-Banned.php

"25 times in the last 2 1/2 f":confused: