PDA

View Full Version : Belmont July 4th Card Contest

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2007, 02:42 AM
OK, in order to make sure P.A. Downs (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/vbookie.php?) is working, and to give everyone planning on playing in the recently announced PTC Handicapping Challenge (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37547) a chance to kick the tires, I've put together a little one day "just for fun" contest.

If you click on the P.A. Downs link above, you will see I've put up Wednesday's Belmont card. I've also given everyone $1,000 in vCash (virtual cash, ie. play money). Everyone's vCash is displayed under their user name on every post they make.

Let's see who can make the most money today. You can bet more than one horse in a race, but you must bet at least $100 minimum on each horse that you bet. Wagering will close for each race on the HALF HOUR prior to listed posted time. Thus, if a race in real life is closing at 5:07pm, it will close on P.A. Downs at 5:00pm. If it is closing at 3:38pm in real life, it will close at 3:30pm on P.A. Downs.

Have fun...I will make every attempt to update the results in real time tomorrow....

Oh, and in case you missed it above, you can access the Wednesday races here:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/vbookie.php?

or here:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

I've included links to Free PPs for each race where I could find them....

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2007, 03:54 PM
We've got a race going on with four races left to go on the day...

the_fat_man leads jhnjhn17 by a mere $70 in vCash....

Follow the action and make a play here:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/vbookie.php?

Bankrolls updated in real time on the home page:

www.paceadvantage.com (http://www.paceadvantage.com)

And remember, this is just a dry run for the PTC Handicapping Challenge that officially begins this Saturday, July 7th.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Congrats to jhnjhn17 who edged out the_fat_man late to win this one day contest. Honorable mention goes to KingChas with his third place finish.

Final standings appear on the home page.... www.paceadvantage.com (http://www.paceadvantage.com)

KingChas
07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
PA, thanks for the preps.
Should be ready to run the Grade I at the Spa.
Thanks to you.
Destined for Sainthood.
Saint PA :ThmbUp: :D

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks, it was fun.

Let me suggest a possible tweak. While I think it's fine to show the overall amounts bet on each horse, I believe that allowing us to view what the others have bet compromises the process. It should be about picking winners not trying to handicap the competition.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2007, 06:56 PM
There is a "tick box" which, when you check it, will make your bets private. It shows up on my screen....perhaps it isn't showing up on yours?

KingChas
07-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Fatman,
Not quite following you.I was entertaining till the 4th race forgot about the contest.Stumbled outta the gate! :lol: Are you saying people were following your bets?By the way great bet 2nd.You can bet invicibly.But I presume you are talking about the PA odds line?If you check the Indy horse race (longshot) no one had it. :confused:

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Fatman,
Not quite following you.I was entertaining till the 4th race forgot about the contest.Stumbled outta the gate! :lol: Are you saying people were following your bets?By the way great bet 2nd.You can bet invicibly.But I presume you are talking about the PA odds line?If you check the Indy horse race (longshot) no one had it. :confused:

Well, here's what happened.

The winner, who did some fine handicapping, essentially won because one of his bets was a GATE scratch. I was able to see his bets in the 10th, and the 9th, and didn't think any of them (3 in total) had a shot. So, rather than betting aggressively, I decided to just sit, cause I figured HE couldn't beat me. But it was fitting that the 6 was scratched and he won the test run because

someone else, obviously watching my bets (and I only made 3 during the day) bet 8 times my amount on MY horse in the 10th; and did it pretty much at the last minute. The person knew what my bankroll was, knew how much I had bet and basically was trying to take me down (with my own pick). I don't mind losing because of a gate scratch to someone who has picked a couple of winners during the day, when I'm correctly not betting as I thought his picks couldn't win. However, had my horse won the 10th, the winner of the test run would've been someone who made a single bet (or just 2) during the day. Which is a pussy thing to do, if you ask me. Especially in a test run.

I'll look for the hide option next time.

chickenhead
07-04-2007, 07:23 PM
what makes you think his bet had anything to do with yours? besides the acute paranoia, I mean.

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Shouldn't you be in the OTHER thread trying to figure out how/why NOCOUNT got his butt kicked?

chickenhead
07-04-2007, 07:29 PM
more fun watching you make an ass of yourself with your paranoid fantasies.

KingChas
07-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Understand futility fataman.
Before making bets check box underneath to bet invicibly.I did this for the 9th and 10th.Big bet on winner in 10th.But it will still show as money bet on horse just wont show your bet under your name.

Charts 7/4/07
Fatman opens up by 10. In Hand.
JJ takes lead at 8th pole.
Fatman charges back on inside to regain lead falters deep stretch.
KC stumbled outta gate clearly third.(parody).

Happy 4th of July All! ;)

DanG
07-04-2007, 07:36 PM
what makes you think his bet had anything to do with yours? besides the acute paranoia, I mean.
LOL… :D

This could be pistols at dawn with real cash on the line… :eek:

chickenhead
07-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I think its Tee he's accusing...which is pretty funny actually. Maybe it has something to do with being big is you start to think things are revolving around you. Especially for a man with a scientific bent like fats. :D

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
more fun watching you make an ass of yourself with your paranoid fantasies.

could be worse. I could be OPINIONLESS, like you, and betting NOCOUNT (and horses of that sort).

C L U E L E S S

SO this person shows up a minute or so become closing and BETS $800 on 'MY' horse. And I'm paranoid?

chickenhead
07-04-2007, 07:45 PM
could be worse. I could be OPINIONLESS, like you, and betting NOCOUNT (and horses of that sort).

C L U E L E S S

Stick to what you know fats, which is horses, you don't know jack about me. And since that is the topic, how many more threads can we look forward to where you piss your pants with excitement over figuring out AGS is better than NoBiz anyway? Apparently you have to go to another board altogether to find someone who disagrees with you....your opinion on those two aint exactly a revelation. GOOD CALL FATS. YOU DA MAN

SO this person shows up a minute or so become closing and BETS $800 on 'MY' horse. And I'm paranoid?

Yes. It aint YOUR horse.

KingChas
07-04-2007, 07:45 PM
I think its Tee he's accusing. :D

I had the biggest bet on the #2 in the 10th.(invisibly) $500. The winner(JJ). didn't bet on the horse .That's why FM is confusing me. :confused:

Real money duel at midnite!~ :( I'll watch :eek:

jhnjhn17
07-04-2007, 08:09 PM
thanks for the contest--the comments following the contest are interesting -- as though i was back on the corner in the bronx some years ago. And by the way thanks for these threads in general.

KingChas
07-04-2007, 08:22 PM
JJ17 ,you are the forgotten man of these post. Congratulations for your fine picks! Champ :ThmbUp:

Tee
07-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Let me clue you into something here slim - u r not that important to me to follow your picks. I made a play on a horse with odds that with a win would have put me into contention - simple as that. Have been doing it for years in a monthly handicapping contest at the local otb.

Did you ever stop & think that it could hurt me playing the same horse as you or others?

Seriously doubt you did.

Well, here's what happened.

The winner, who did some fine handicapping, essentially won because one of his bets was a GATE scratch. I was able to see his bets in the 10th, and the 9th, and didn't think any of them (3 in total) had a shot. So, rather than betting aggressively, I decided to just sit, cause I figured HE couldn't beat me. But it was fitting that the 6 was scratched and he won the test run because

someone else, obviously watching my bets (and I only made 3 during the day) bet 8 times my amount on MY horse in the 10th; and did it pretty much at the last minute. The person knew what my bankroll was, knew how much I had bet and basically was trying to take me down (with my own pick). I don't mind losing because of a gate scratch to someone who has picked a couple of winners during the day, when I'm correctly not betting as I thought his picks couldn't win. However, had my horse won the 10th, the winner of the test run would've been someone who made a single bet (or just 2) during the day. Which is a pussy thing to do, if you ask me. Especially in a test run.

I'll look for the hide option next time.

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I had the biggest bet on the #2 in the 10th.(invisibly) $500. The winner(JJ). didn't bet on the horse .That's why FM is confusing me. :confused:

Real money duel at midnite!~ :( I'll watch :eek:

The winner didn't need to bet the 2. Your $500 win bet wasn't enough to get you in contention. Getting his money back when the 5 gate scratched was enough for him to win as I didn't hedge and my original bet lost. I was only a few dollars ahead at that point.

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Let me clue you into something here slim - u r not that important to me to follow your picks. I made a play on a horse with odds that with a win would have put me into contention - simple as that. Have been doing it for years in a monthly handicapping contest at the local otb.

Did you ever stop & think that it could hurt me playing the same horse as you or others?

Seriously doubt you did.

How does that hurt you, TEE? Explain it to me?

I'm significantly ahead of the field and trivially ahead of the eventual winner. I'm stay pat with $100 on a horse that figures to go off at 10:1 or so. The eventual winner has $100 on a long shot and $200 on a 6:1 or so that gate scratches. Your $800 on the 9 gets you back $8g's.

Here's the point:

You can do whatever you want. Cleary, this was a smart play on your part. You don't do squat all day and can take it all down with a single play. :ThmbUp:

My hat's off to you. Seriously.

My point, to begin with, was that you and I, and the others, should not be able to see the bets of the competition. Not only does this allow shrewd moves, such as yours, but it detracts from one's aggressiveness when we see bets on horses we might think have no chance.

This was addressed by PA.

Anything else I can do for you?

Tee
07-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Let's see people with more money than me playing the same horse as I did with close to the same wager - that's how it can hurt me, you & everyone else.

You are still hung up on the assumption that I made a play after seeing your wager. Get over yourself already.

Now I might agree with you on the not being able to see the bets of the competition. That is what the private bet function is for.

I play a contest just like I play in real life - make plays with as little time left as possible. Another little clue for yourself. I got up at 4 PM EST!! Missed a great deal of the contest, but decided to play anyway. It wasn't as if I sat around from 11 AM till then & after concocting a play to take you down.

Whether the competition can see each others wagers or not, everyone will still be able to see the totals. Wagers can be made accordingly to do what it takes to win. This is something that you can't stop.

That's exactly what I did today.

How does that hurt you, TEE? Explain it to me?

I'm significantly ahead of the field and trivially ahead of the eventual winner. I'm stay pat with $100 on a horse that figures to go off at 10:1 or so. The eventual winner has $100 on a long shot and $200 on a 6:1 or so that gate scratches. Your $800 on the 9 gets you back $8g's.

Here's the point:

You can do whatever you want. Cleary, this was a smart play on your part. You don't do squat all day and can take it all down with a single play. :ThmbUp:

My hat's off to you. Seriously.

My point, to begin with, was that you and I, and the others, should not be able to see the bets of the competition. Not only does this allow shrewd moves, such as yours, but it detracts from one's aggressiveness when we see bets on horses we might think have no chance.

This was addressed by PA.

Anything else I can do for you?

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Let's see people with more money than me playing the same horse as I did with close to the same wager - that's how it can hurt me, you & everyone else.

Being able to see the pools and seeing what the competition is betting is not the same thing. There's certainly no way I can control what the rest of field is going to do but knowing what my primary competition is betting and how much will certainly influence my play.

Someone with more money than you, who is in contention, is not going to take a risk because he probably already has a nominal bet on the horse or another, or no bet at all, and even should that bet lose, UNLESS someone hits a real bomb for significant money (like you were trying to do) he's in good position to take the whole thing down.

You risk basically nothing: you can't win if you stand pat and unless you like a long shot that you load up on, your best strategy is to bet all your cash on the leaders' selection(s) and hope the horse wins and you get back enough to jump ahead of the leader.

Beautiful strategy.

Which is why the info should be hidden.

We can put this to rest now.

Tom
07-04-2007, 10:16 PM
JJ17 ,you are the forgotten man of these post. Congratulations for your fine picks! Champ :ThmbUp:

Holy Shcamoly!
1 post and he wins the contest!
There's a NEW sherrif in town.

Congrats,j, and welcome. You make a hell of a first imrpession.

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Tom
07-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Judging from the banter on this practice round, it's going to be a long, hot summer! :lol:

Maybe we can get som eside action on over/under on how many "douches" we end with by September! :eek:

Tee
07-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Your best strategy is to bet all your cash on the leaders' selection(s) and hope the horse wins and you get back enough to jump ahead of the leader.

Taking a page from chickenhead - Stick to what you know fats, you don't know jack about me.

I wouldn't play out the above scenario for nothing slim, simply cuz I would feel that was a sinking ship & I'm not going down with the leaders' selection.

I kinda wished I would have looked at your selection ahead of time. Wouldn't have played the horse & thus avoided this discussion.

Tee
07-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Good thing I didn't bet Jelly Roll Rumble.:)

On the other hand Light & Kelso probably don't suffer from paranoid delusions. :D

the_fat_man
07-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Taking a page from chickenhead - Stick to what you know fats, you don't know jack about me.

I wouldn't play out the above scenario for nothing slim, simply cuz I would feel that was a sinking ship & I'm not going down with the leaders' selection.

I kinda wished I would have looked at your selection ahead of time. Wouldn't have played the horse & thus avoided this discussion.

Anything else I can do for you, TEE?

Exactly.

What's delicious is that the winner got it done with a gate scratch and YOU got SKUNKED. :lol:

And I'm all about fair play so I'm enjoying this.

And since the logic (and facts) seem to be escaping you (this time)

I welcome you to stop by anytime when you're in the mood to get BENT OVER some more. :ThmbUp:

I wish the same thing, Tee. :rolleyes:

Tee
07-04-2007, 10:50 PM
The logic and facts for that matter is there were two 9/1 shots in the race & I chose one of them based solely upon the return & a chance to possibly win the contest.

Free contest, fake money, no prizes.

Tee
07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
The winner, who did some fine handicapping, essentially won because one of his bets was a GATE scratch. I was able to see his bets in the 10th, and the 9th, and didn't think any of them (3 in total) had a shot. So, rather than betting aggressively, I decided to just sit, cause I figured HE couldn't beat me.

You have the stones to give me shit?

You are on permanent ignore - have a nice life.

Light
07-04-2007, 11:49 PM
FM

This is not the DRF NHC with a 1/4 mil on the line.Cant see getting all worked up on a contest that pays nothing or pays peanuts and takes months to complete.Just a game.

Take it easy on Tee. I've seen him/her make some excellent(non chalk) selections over the last couple of years which portrays an independent thinker rather than a copycat.

the_fat_man
07-05-2007, 12:18 AM
FM

This is not the DRF NHC with a 1/4 mil on the line.Cant see getting all worked up on a contest that pays nothing or pays peanuts and takes months to complete.Just a game.

Take it easy on Tee. I've seen him/her make some excellent(non chalk) selections over the last couple of years which portrays an independent thinker rather than a copycat.

Exactly. This was a trivial exercise.

I came into this, Light, with the intent of pointing out to PA that the format needed to be tightened up a bit, for those cases where 1/4 mil is on the line. He informed me that the option was already in the system.

And then this whole thing just took off.

I'm not critcizing, Tee. I applauded Tee for making the shrewd play.

Then we got a bit entangled in the logic (and facts) of the thing and Tee got pissed and stormed off. Go figure.

douglasw32
07-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Not to smart on this stuff, but I played Nobiz like showbiz (a horse my 5 year old talks about all the time, because of seeing him on TV during the triple crown preps, and the name stuck in his head..it is really cute) the same way it would seem a the other poster did, it was a contest for fun, bragging rights maybe and i was way down so I plopped the whole remainder on nobiz in hopes of rising up a little. Only other one i hit was the 1st by a whisker.

I am not sure what all the excitement is about, I read the rules it said bet min 100 and that was it.

I am not trying to take sides, as I said kinda dumb on the whole mechanics of being in a contest but it seems no one did any wrong and maybe the rule should be ONLY bet 100 not a min of 100 ?

Pace Cap'n
07-05-2007, 06:29 AM
FM

Wow--good thing there wasn't a cap at stake, huh?

Hammerhead
07-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Holy Cow!!! What dasteredly deeds. Stealing picks. Betting to much Vbucks at the end. This is real drama folks. All my horses were pulled by there jocks so I had no shot. What is going to happen next?
Stay tuned. Next Bat time Same Bat channel :lol:

Ron
07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I think the fat man should get his entry fee refunded.

toetoe
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Fats is trippin' WAY too hard. It's understandable, however, and he deserves some understanding. Another thing --- the stewards have ruled that yes, fatman indeed HAS the stones.

PA, thanks for the contest. Sorry I didn't see it, or I'd play it. I had that late pick-four going, but I had left out Desormeaux, thinking it wouldn't pay enough. $340 dollars later, it paid enough. :bang: :D