PDA

View Full Version : Not all tracks created equal-DAVIDOWITZ

trigger
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Not all tracks created equal http://www.drf.com/news/article/86340.html
By STEVE DAVIDOWITZ
"What makes a great track to bet on? One in which good trainers and jockeys are in ready supply; one in which the racing secretary cards well-matched fields at a variety of distances on safe dirt (or synthetic) main and turf tracks, which are manicured only as needed. At the bottom line, a bettable track where there is a steady flow of accurate information provided to the betting public, without prodding by the press.

On those criteria, I would rate Churchill Downs as the clear-cut winner in my tour so far this year, with Del Mar, Saratoga and Monmouth Park yet to come."

46zilzal
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
wagering exploits matters exclusive to these. Always has.

Zman179
07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
What a load of crap.

What makes a great track to bet on? One where you can pick winners at, dumbo. I can't pick winners to save my soul at Del Mar, Saratoga or Monmouth. But, I do well at Finger Lakes which has neither good jockeys nor a turf track.

kenwoodallpromos
07-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Gee, you mean I've been doing it all wrong taking money form all the newbies each year at the often lop-sided fields at the California Fairs"
I'm waiting to see if he thinks 31% takeout at the recently-increased-purses-Philadelphia-Park is on his heavy bet list!!
Steve IS a good racing industry promoter!

Premier Turf Club
07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm waiting to see if he thinks 31% takeout at the recently-increased-purses-Philadelphia-Park is on his heavy bet list!!

That track is amazing. You've got the local HPBA bitching because the handle is down 30% and we've been trying for 4 months to get a contract and can't even get a return phone call from them (I mean Philly not the HPBA). Every so often I will call and someone will make the mistake of picking up the phone (I say make the mistake because if they knew it was me they probably wouldn't pick up). I'll get something like we're looking into your application at the moment. We will get back to you.

Many tracks would probably be out of business without slots, and you know what the way some of them are run, they should be. By comparison, the folks at slots track MNR, led by simulcast director Debbie Howells are always a pleasure to deal with.:ThmbUp:

Indulto
07-03-2007, 02:36 PM
What a load of crap.

What makes a great track to bet on? One where you can pick winners at, dumbo. I can't pick winners to save my soul at Del Mar, Saratoga or Monmouth. But, I do well at Finger Lakes which has neither good jockeys nor a turf track.ZM9,
Does someone motivated to mention the Walt Disney flying elephant’s name in such a malevolent manner have any soul to save? Nonetheless, I agree with your definition.

From the same article:… In addition to Hollywood's stakes events which rarely attract large fields, the quality of racing has been compressed downward to include many inscrutable, low-level claiming races with oversized fields.

… On the East Coast, while the fate of the New York Racing Association is in limbo, the overall quality of daily New York racing has been vastly superior to the day-by-day racing in Southern California. This despite an over abundance of statebred races, which offer inflated purses for uninspiring fields.Davidowitz was at HOL signing his book on Monday. Wonder if he was one of those who hit the P6?

kenwoodallpromos
07-03-2007, 02:50 PM
"Hollywood's... with oversized fields."
I find it refreshing just to hear someone compain about Ca having fields that are TOO BIG!!!

Zman179
07-03-2007, 03:54 PM
ZM9,
Does someone motivated to mention the Walt Disney flying elephant’s name in such a malevolent manner have any soul to save? Nonetheless, I agree with your definition.

Believe me, that was not my first choice. :cool: