PDA

View Full Version : Strange E-mails with attach

Lefty
07-02-2007, 11:32 PM
For the last few weeks i've been getting lots of e-mails from people i don't know with pdf attachments. Up to 30 a day. I delete without opening of course. Anyone know if this is a new attempt at infecting your computer with a virus that's going around?

Zaf
07-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I have received two of these in the last 2 days and have deleted them also. I am also curious to what they might be :confused:

Z

BillW
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
I've opened a few to see what they were. They are just SPAM text (can a .pdf be virus infected on windows? dunno, Ralph?). The ones I saw were the penny stock spam - just another spammers cat and mouse game of getting around the SPAM filters.

boomman
07-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Lefty: I don't know, but obviously NEVER open an attachment from somebody you don't know! I've been getting them lately as well...They "bank" on our curiosity to open them!:mad:

Boomer

bigmack
07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Ya gotta love the inventiveness of these ruffians.

A NewsFactor report said five billion PDF spam messages hit the Internet recently, all touting shares of German-based Talktech Telemedia. That spam, and subsequent trading, boosted shares of the stock by 20 percent. :lol:

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=53224

BillW
07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Ya gotta love the inventiveness of these ruffians.

A NewsFactor report said five billion PDF spam messages hit the Internet recently, all touting shares of German-based Talktech Telemedia. That spam, and subsequent trading, boosted shares of the stock by 20 percent. :lol:

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=53224

Probably a guy that gave up on bridgejumping. :eek:

ELA
07-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I've spent a great deal of money in technology, and fortunately I haven't been hit with this recent barrage. However, no matter how on top of this you are, eventually you get hit. Like others, I am very leery to open just any e-mail and land on the side of "better safe than sorry"

Eric

JustRalph
07-03-2007, 12:18 AM
there used to be some pdf based virus/spyware stuff, but Adobe pretty much fixed that a while back. Also, I believe MSoft killed most of it in Service pack 1 for WinXp.......or was it serv pack 2? I don't think it is a big deal anymore.

let's put it this way........ I haven't had any requests to fix any pdf based virus stuff in a few years................and that is the proof in the proverbial pudding............ :lol:

ELA
07-03-2007, 12:41 AM
there used to be some pdf based virus/spyware stuff, but Adobe pretty much fixed that a while back. Also, I believe MSoft killed most of it in Service pack 1 for WinXp.......or was it serv pack 2? I don't think it is a big deal anymore.

let's put it this way........ I haven't had any requests to fix any pdf based virus stuff in a few years................and that is the proof in the proverbial pudding............ :lol:

Good to know. For someone like me it's always a look of . . . :confused: or a feeling of . . . :bang: , LOL.

Eric

Dick Schmidt
07-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Haven't seen any PDF attachments, but I've been getting a ton of the old Nigerian scams. Mostly from solicitors in London with a remarkably poor command of English telling me I've won the only lottery you don't have to enter to win, but a few from the oil ministry in Nigeria and a couple from Hong Kong needing my help to move money to the US.

Not sure if I somehow got on a sucker's list or if this is just an increase in traffic. There is a bunch of guys in England who have fun answering these come-ons and seeing just how long they can string the senders along. I don't have time to play that game, but sometimes I'm tempted to respond just to see what happens next.

Dick

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.

bigmack
07-03-2007, 02:29 AM
I've been getting a ton of the old Nigerian scams. Mostly from solicitors in London with a remarkably poor command of English
From the genesis of that gig one wonders if after they secured the proceeds of their first scam that they sat back and said: Holy Shit - People from other countries are dumb enough to send us money. And we're in Nigeria!
:lol:

Lefty
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Dick, yep, I get the Nigerion scam too and get them with variations. One variation is someone with my last name has died with millions and they can't find any relatives. So they are willing to give it to me if i promise to do some good works with some of the money. LOL