PDA

View Full Version : GRAND SLAM BET

rolling
07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Anbody play this bet in ny.Any opinions on this bet.

samyn on the green
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Love this bet. My winning strategy is to play it as cold as possible in larger denominations. I try to beat find a likely horse to hit the board in the first three legs who is not the chalk. Chalk off the board in the first three legs really boasts the price. Then in the final leg I do not like to go more than two deep and I prefer to single. The two opinions needed is vulnerable fave off the board and strong win selection in the win leg.

Sometimes the price is great when compared to the win price of the horse that won leg D. Last year at Saratoga I singled Henny Hughes in this wager to win, he paid $4.00 the Grand Slam paid $37 which I thought was value. The day before the Pletcher filly (I forgot her name the NY bred) won the older mare Stakes and paid $3.20, she paid $42, in the slam. Another good one was Ambassador who won on the Met Mile mile day and paid $25, he paid $122 in the slam.

losealot
07-03-2007, 04:19 AM
I'd appreciate someone defining the Grand Slam for me. I've heard of it but I don't know what it means. Many thanks!

samyn on the green
07-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Dubbed the "Grand Slam," it gives bettors 27 ways to win a multi-race bet spread over four races. It will begin on race 5 during a normal, nine-race NYRA card; on race 6 during a 10-race card.

The idea is simple: get your picks to finish first, second or third in each of the first three legs and then get the official winner of the fourth and final leg. In the first three legs, equal weight is awarded to winning selections; for example, a 10-1 winner has the same value as a 2-1 that runs second. But in the fourth and final leg, the selection must be the official race winner.

As an example of the Grand Slam's value, a bettor could construct a mythical ticket by making two picks in the first leg; three in the second; single the third and have two picks in the fourth and final leg for the $1 minimum and the total cost would only be $12 (2x3x1x2 x $1= $12). If any of the selections in the first three legs finish in the money and either of the fourth-leg picks wins, the bettor would be holding at least one winning ticket.

OTM Al
07-03-2007, 09:21 AM
I like the bet as well, but it almost always slips my mind to prep for it. Only way to play it IMO is single straight across at the level you would win bet at. Can go multiple in final leg if you win bet with more than one horse. Point is, its a win bet, not a pick 4

Ron
07-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Load up the bases and then bang 'em home! :jump:

Robert Fischer
07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I like the wager.

My theory is that you handicap the structure around a single In-the-money horse for the first 4 legs and then go as many as 5 deep in the last leg.
Then build from there if necessary.
I have actually seen public handicappers suggest using the all button or going 5 or 6 deep on a "In-the-money" leg, which I think is poor strategy. You hit each preliminary leg with 1, 2 or at the very most 3 choices or you pass.
I look for a heavy favorite or two favorites that could finish off the board from the first 4 legs as a reason to play.

losealot
07-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks for explaining the Grand Slam. Sounds like a fun bet because unlike the pick three or four, I'd be alive more often for the last leg and at least have some fun all four races instead of going to the sidelines early.

I'd be interested in how others approach this bet.

kyle2227
07-04-2007, 04:56 PM
So say for example I bet a $1 grand slam 1,2/3,5/1,4/7

And lets say race 5 the 1 showed and the 2 placed. Race 6 the 3 placed but the 5 ran out the money. Race 7 the 1 won and the 4 showed. And then I hit race 8 with the 7 horse winning. Does that mean I win multiple times?

samyn on the green
07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
So say for example I bet a $1 grand slam 1,2/3,5/1,4/7

And lets say race 5 the 1 showed and the 2 placed. Race 6 the 3 placed but the 5 ran out the money. Race 7 the 1 won and the 4 showed. And then I hit race 8 with the 7 horse winning. Does that mean I win multiple times?If that is the case you hit the bet 4 times.

losealot
07-08-2007, 08:16 AM
CT's Autotote takes ALMOST all NYRA wagers. They are not setup to take Grand Slam wagers.

I'd very much appreciate help in compiling a list of off track facilities that take phone wagers on NYRA's Grand Slam.

And please mention those facilities that take NYRA but do NOT take their Grand Slam. CT heads the list.

Thank you!!!