PDA

View Full Version : Marv Albert - Racecaller at Pleasanton

hbeck
07-01-2007, 09:23 PM
No joke, Marv (panty wearing) Albert just was the guest race caller for the 12th at Pleasanton.

boomman
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
In case you are not "pulling our legs" and don't really know, that was none other than impersonator extroardinaire and my buddy Frank Mirahmadi with his famous Marv Albert voice. It does sound like "Marv" for sure!:)

Boomer

BillW
07-01-2007, 09:54 PM
In case you are not "pulling our legs" and don't really know, that was none other than impersonator extroardinaire and my buddy Frank Mirahmadi with his famous Marv Albert voice. It does sound like "Marv" for sure!:)

Boomer

And, I don't believe he impersonates the "panty wearing" part. :p

gIracing
07-01-2007, 09:59 PM
He is making me change my list of fav track announcers. His Marv Albert is second to none. Also his D Wayne Lukas is hilarious. But the good part is... he is actually a very astute race caller.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
YES!

boomman
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Frank does a tremendous job as a track announcer, his impersonations are superb and seem to be getting better all the time. He does a fantastic Rodney Dangerfield, too!:)

Boomer

gIracing
07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I almost pissed my pants when I heard his Mike Battaglia, he nailed that one to a T (although I don't imagine it was that hard) and he did a bit of a John Dooley one day that seemed to be pretty good.

however his Trevor Denmen is what impresses me the most.. because he actually calls the race like Trevor.. which isn't easy to do

hbeck
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks for letting me know.

That was an awesome impression.

Kelso
07-01-2007, 10:45 PM
He does a fantastic Rodney Dangerfield, too!:)

Does he do RD calling a race? Done well, would really enjoy hearing something such as that.

BillW
07-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Does he do RD calling a race? Done well, would really enjoy hearing something such as that.

Yes, that's his whole schtick - impressions while calling a race.

gIracing
07-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I remember earlier in the year he did Merv Albert and said the horse was "moving like a knife though butter".. if that's not Merv, I don't know what is

Hajck Hillstrom
07-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Does he do RD calling a race? Done well, would really enjoy hearing something such as that.It is outstanding! All of his impressions are really good, but I think his Dangerfield is his best. I haven't heard his D. Wayne Lukas yet, but I've heard many outside this thread refer to him as his best.

His Rodney schtick is hilarious though.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

chickenhead
07-01-2007, 11:39 PM
YES!

:lol:

freehouse2002
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
He did a great Michael Wrona impression the other day. I could've sworn it was Wrona himself.

freehouse2002

Kelso
07-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Yes, that's his whole schtick - impressions while calling a race.

His Rodney schtick is hilarious though.

Thank you. Gonna do some googling for recordings. Will post if/where I find any.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Just looked at some of the free replays I usually never use, to listen to the last race of all the Pleasanton cards for the last week. Quite enjoyable!

Frank did:
Marv Albert on Thursday 6/28 and the aforementioned Sunday 7/1.
Michael Wrona on Sat. 6/30
(I'm guessing Harry Henson) on Fri. 6/29
Rodney Dangerfield on Wed. 6/27.

All very good imitations. I even had to listen to the next-last race on Sat. 6/30, just to be sure it Frank was really there, and not Wrona calling the whole card! It was that spot on!

Of course, I listened to a couple other races just to hear his own, very good race call as well!

Midnight Sunday Night/Monday AM, and I'm listing to race calls of a track I normally don't follow, when I could be sleeping. Wierd to be doing this. But it was quite enjoyable.

JustRalph
07-02-2007, 01:18 AM
try this link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=18I9O-xr2oE

gIracing
07-02-2007, 01:22 AM
lol, dude i am over here crying laughing.

he did one a couple of years back around the time when the mavs and the heat were in the finals and he was breaking the game down while calling hte race.. it was too funny

Kelso
07-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks Ralph. That guy's really good ... even brought Papa Corleone in on the action! (Not that I 'spect he had much choice.:D )

jballscalls
07-02-2007, 07:50 AM
He usually does the impression calls the last race of each fair day, and i believe he does all of the fairs up north with the exception of Santa Rosa, which Vic calls.

I think my favorite impression call is when he does Wrona for the opening quarter, passes to trevor at the start of the backstretch, then goes to Luke on the far turn, then finishes up with Dave Johnson. fantastic!!

ALL CIRCUITS GO
07-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Great race calling, and fantastic impressions. I was unaware of this guy. Thats why I like this board.. always learning something new everyday.

THANKS!!

boomman
07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
try this link

If you listen closely to this one, you can even hear Frank crack himself up! Only time I ever heard him bust out laughing:D during an impersonation, and I've been listening to him since day 1....Great link Ralph, and one I'll have him listen to....

Boomer

DanG
07-02-2007, 10:08 AM
try this link

This is TREMENDOUS!!!

Thanks for the link Ralph… :ThmbUp:

ezrabrooks
07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Never heard this guy before. Great stuff. Even got a closing horse coming from "downtown".

Ez

falconridge
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Mirahmadi's impression of Wrona may be the most accurate in his repertoire. He has all of Trevor Denman's mannerisms down, but the voice is a bit off (unlike when he assays Wrona).

I wouldn't mind Frank having a go at the late Todd Creed, who, after a stint at old Cahokia Downs in the early 1960s, spent many years in the crow's nests at Bay Meadows, Golden Gate, and the northern California fair circuit tracks. Like my fellow NoCal no'count, toetoe, Creed was a Berkeley native and a merry old soul. He was no paragon of accuracy (he often called the wrong horse on the lead right down to inside the sixteenth pole), but who could ever forget his cutting up come picture time--especially when the posing reinsman was one "Rah-OOOOOOOOL Caballero"?

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 11:00 AM
THAT WAS HYSTERICAL! WE NEED MORE OF THIS AT THE TRACK! PLEASE POST MORE IF YOU COME ACCROSS THEM.:lol:

He played the track announcer in both movies for seabiscuit and ruffian. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1412410/
haha.

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Just found this on youtube. Its really funny, sorry if its really old and you've seen it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sqtox3t5VZQ

statik27
07-05-2007, 12:34 PM

Boomer

Mirahmadi is a hard working guy also, he gets around to most of the fair meets out west and I've heard him at Turf Paradise and Fair Grounds as well.

boomman
07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Mirahmadi is a hard working guy also, he gets around to most of the fair meets out west and I've heard him at Turf Paradise and Fair Grounds as well.

ststik: True, and don't forget he was at Louisiana Downs for many years and Hialeah until they closed...He also used to fill in for me periodically during my nearly 20 year stint at the Downs at Albuquerque.....Great talent and a good friend!

Boomer