PDA

View Full Version : TVG -- "newbie" question

DJofSD
07-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I recently changed my TV provider and now have TVG. I saw on the schedule the races on Saturday including the Hollywood Gold Cup and scheduled it to be recorded.

Last night I decided to watch it. Fast forward is a wonder thing. Almost the same as a recap show. When I got to the 10th, I could not believe what I had on the DVR. Just as the horses were loading into the gate, they cut away for a commercial! WTF?!

After some other falderal, they played via tape delay the Hollywood Gold Cup. But it gets worse. Just at the top of the stretch, the recording on my DVR ended. It was the stop time for the program recording. Result was I didn't see the last 1/4 mile of the race. (And, yes, I know about programming DVRs, etc.).

Is this typical of TVG?

I am not impressed. With all of the competition and complications, I would expect a much better product than this. Racing seems to be in a competition for the bottom. Yuck!

BillW
07-01-2007, 12:09 PM
They probably didn't have broadcast rights to the GC. Was it telecast on one of the "big" networks? (ESPN, ABC, NBC?). I didn't watch it, but this is my guess as it is normally the case.

DarrenClarke
07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
This race was broadcast live on espn2. Newbie, dont get too upset about this one, it is beyond TVG's control. Save it for other things, as you will find out that TVG's priority is talking heads not live racing.

gIracing
07-01-2007, 02:03 PM
most big races are covered by ESPN, ABC or NBC.. they will tell you if that is the case.

DJofSD
07-01-2007, 02:50 PM
you will find out that TVG's priority is talking heads not live racing.

Darren - thanks for the heads up. Talking heads is interesting only up to a point. TVG, on first blush, goes way over that line -- at least for me.

Tom
07-01-2007, 02:59 PM
It was on ESPN2.

And right now, :58 Flat is coming on , hosted by the worst TH in the world, so hello YouBet for the rest of the day. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

GaryG
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
TVG, on first blush, goes way over that line -- at least for me.At second blush it gets worse. It might as well be MTV. The mute button is not enough when 58 flat comes on. Hey Tom, would you rather being doing life w/o parole or watching 58 flat?

Hajck Hillstrom
07-01-2007, 05:49 PM
And right now, :58 Flat is coming on , hosted by the worst TH in the world, so hello YouBet for the rest of the day. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

That was the worst piece of programming I ever saw, not just on TVG, but on TV .... period.

The only balance I got out of it was that Matt Carothers was shoving a wiener in his mouth down his throat. That actually made some sense.

There is some fine talent on the network, but there are some egos in the mix that cause viewers to question why the tolerate the drivel.

Today's 58 Flat was simply pathetic.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

DanG
07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
The only balance I got out of it was that Matt Carothers was shoving a wiener in his mouth down his throat. That actually made some sense.

Now that’s a visual I never thought my brain would have…:lol:

Carry on indeed!!! :jump::jump:

BTW: If the slightly over bet IMHO 4/5 #4 loses in the 2nd leg of this pick-6 at Hollywood, you’re going to have the whole country checking their backup tickets!!! :eek:

xciceroguy
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
I dunno.....I kinda like 58 flat:liar:

Hajck Hillstrom
07-02-2007, 01:31 AM
I dunno.....I kinda like 58 flat:liar:Then you must have LOVED today's Hot Dog Eating Contest! :liar: Proof positive that Matt Carothers is a cannibal. (An animal that feeds on his own species)

By his own admission, Matt Carothers is prone to hyperbole. How can you take anything he says seriously? I honestly believe his schtick is all an act though, to make the viewer dislike him, and therefore cause them to watch him more. I bet he is a really nice guy that has Carte Blanche to act the arrogant fool.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

pressman
07-02-2007, 06:57 AM
I dunno.....I kinda like 58 flat:liar:
I too enjoy 58 flat You cant take Carrothers too seriously He trys to bring some "fun" into handicapping and the whole racetrack experience.

Hajck Hillstrom
07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I too enjoy 58 flat You cant take Carrothers too seriously He trys to bring some "fun" into handicapping and the whole racetrack experience.I think xciceroguy was lying....:liar:

Interesting perspective, and one I agree with entirely, which is why Matt Carothers 58 Flat should be aired at midnight. The key words here are..."He trys." He tries WAY too hard, and usually comes up woefully flat. His perspective isn't one that racing fans can readily relate to. Consider his audience. I think Matt's biggest fan, other than ToddTonTV, is Matt Carothers.

"Fun" into handicapping???? I have never heard a guy whine more than him. For me, his on-set persona has a similar effect as chewing on tin foil.

To utilize the phrase that he "loves" to use ad nauseum.....58 Flat is diseased.

Andy Beyer said it best...."Matt Carothers is diligent and articulate." That about sums it up.

I do repeat my caveat though, as he is probably a great husband, a wonderful father, and a friend to those that know him best, but when it comes to his performance at TVG, there is a reason that a square of cardboard should be placed under his chair on set.......because Matt Carothers looks better on paper.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

richrosa
07-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Is this the 1000th "lets knock TVG" thread?

Hajck Hillstrom
07-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Is this the 1000th "lets knock TVG" thread?Allow me to say that I am a BIG TVG fan! I have the network on about 15 hours a day. I do have issues with some programming, but only because I have perspectives on how the product could be improved. I apologize if I come off as bashing "TVG." It simply isn't the case.

Maybe familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe I should turn the channel once in awhile. I just think horseracing is the most interesting thing on television. Sometimes the analysts on TVG lose sight of this fact, and think that they are the entertainment. The truth is this.... they are there to set the table. There are some powerful egos at play sometimes, and they make me appreciate the core of the crew even more.

If I were Tony Allevato, I would put Rich Perloff in charge. Now there is a guy that just "gets it."

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

Tom
07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
I like TVG.
I like my dog, too.
If my dog had fleas, I would try to pick them off him.
That is my opinion of Matt. :lol:

richrosa
07-02-2007, 02:19 PM
If I were Tony Allevato, I would put Rich Perloff in charge. Now there is a guy that just "gets it."

Perloff is great. A true handicapping nerd. He's personable and informative and speaks to nearly every member of the audience.

GaryG
07-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Perloff is great. A true handicapping nerd. He's personable and informative and speaks to nearly every member of the audience.I agree....he is the only good one in the lot except for less Onaka. I don't follow the quarters but he seems very sharp

ranchwest
07-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I agree....he is the only good one in the lot except for less Onaka. I don't follow the quarters but he seems very sharp

It seems to me that what everyone keeps expressing is the significance of style and focus. Keep the focus on the horses and maintain a style that doesn't overwhelm the focus on the horses. That's what Perloff and Onaka pull off. Just enough zip in their personality to let you know that they're there for you.

If I want to be overwhelmed, I'll find a DVD with Belushi on SNL. As great as Belushi was, I wouldn't want him to be on TVG. Well, maybe once. For 30 seconds. :)

DJofSD
07-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Just enough zip in their personality to let you know that they're there for you.

Years ago, I thought Jon White when he did color commentary for the SoCal circuit was great. Not a real dazzler as far as on screen presence but I thought he offered good info and insight.

dutchboy
07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
A few years ago if you had been a visitor to Canterbury Park in Minnesota you would have been able to listen live to both Mat C. and Todd Shrupp. They were both on the prerace in house selection show. Todd published a tip sheet for a while.... Best guess it may have been 10 years ago since they lived in Minnesota and worked at Canterbury Park.

Hajck Hillstrom
07-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Years ago, I thought Jon White when he did color commentary for the SoCal circuit was great. Not a real dazzler as far as on screen presence but I thought he offered good info and insight.Jon White's perspective is a good as it gets....

BadaBing
07-02-2007, 07:35 PM
A few years ago if you had been a visitor to Canterbury Park in Minnesota you would have been able to listen live to both Mat C. and Todd Shrupp. They were both on the prerace in house selection show. Todd published a tip sheet for a while and the rumor was he was shut down since he was using either T-graph or The Sheet's numbers and putting them on his sheets. Best guess it may have been 10 years ago since they lived in Minnesota and worked at Canterbury Park.
And thank god they are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!