PDA

View Full Version : Vic and Gulfstream

gIracing
06-30-2007, 11:26 PM
vic has always been one of my fav 3 announcers.. Him, Denmen and Dooley.

listening to his call today, it made me think... what in the world was the owners of Gulfstream smoking when they let him go?

No offense at ALL to Larry Collmus, he's not a bad announcer.. but he's no Vic

Si2see
07-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Larry Collmus is sure no Vic. I feel the same way you do.

cj
07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Larry Collmus is sure no Vic. I feel the same way you do.

He is no Vic. He is much better, and a lot less obnoxious.

v j stauffer
07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I'd argue. But you have 10.099 posts so it must be true.

bigmack
07-01-2007, 10:08 PM
What a peculiar thing to post. I guess obnoxiousness comes in many forms.

Pace Cap'n
07-02-2007, 12:09 AM
What a peculiar thing to post. I guess obnoxiousness comes in many forms.

Including scatological avatars. Good to be a mod.

PurplePower
07-02-2007, 01:26 AM
I'd argue. But you have 10.099 posts so it must be true.That's another of the reasons I like you Vic (and Howdy, BTW). In addition to an announcer that really enjoyes this game, you recognize the significance of large "figures", even when they are posts.

When Vic spent a year one weekend at Sam Houston as their "announcer of the week" as part of the search the resulted in Michael Chamberlain coming to Sammy, I enjoyed doing our paddock preview tv show with Vic. One night one of the horses was doing with Bright Prediction was doing today and Vic said, "I want (the trainer) to come see me right now and let us all in on his special secret that will enable this horse that was beaten 18 lengths for $5000 to be able to compete in this $25,000 claiming race." Some felt Vic was "over the top", but that was the questioins that most of the true horseplayers were asking - and I liked fact that Vic asked it out loud, and did so in what I thought was a fun, non condescending yet straightforward way. We can expect more of that on here, right Vic? :)

cj
07-02-2007, 04:57 AM

I have seen you on TVG, and I think you are a good guy and good for bettors. I just don't happen to enjoy your style of race calling. It isn't anything personal.

Larry is a friend of mine, as many here know, and guys were taking shots at him. I gave my obviously biased opinion.

Funny thing about my avatar. Nobody seemed to mind Karl posting personal stuff about me that had nothing to do with racing, but a little picture of a dog taking a dump bothers some.

ezrabrooks
07-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I have seen you on TVG, and I think you are a good guy and good for bettors. I just don't happen to enjoy your style of race calling. It isn't anything personal.

Larry is a friend of mine, as many here know, and guys were taking shots at him. I gave my obviously biased opinion.

Funny thing about my avatar. Nobody seemed to mind Karl posting personal stuff about me that had nothing to do with racing, but a little picture of a dog taking a dump bothers some.

Oh...that's a dog? For the record, I like both Collmus and Stauffer.

Ez

Bruddah
07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Preference for race callers is like preference of certain foods. Some things you like, while your friends might 'gag' on it.

Personally, I like Mr Stauffers calls and have always preferred him to many more publicized names, in this sport. The first coming to my mind is Trevor Denman. Trevors call make me wretch. Yet, I have friends that like his tripe. Go figure!! :confused:

banacek
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Including scatological avatars. .

Are there not rules about avatars on PA?

46zilzal
07-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I, for one, miss the Gulfstream calls. Always kept the volume turned on for them unlike many other calls I hear.

Can't comment about Holly (as I do not follow that course any longer), but the Lava Man Gold Cup call was a good one.

ceejay
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
but the Lava Man Gold Cup call was a good one.I disagree. It seemed contrived to me, like the "Azeri" call. Also it seemed to me that APXcellent was never back in third as called in the stretch. Not to say I could do better though.... ;)

ELA
07-02-2007, 10:16 PM
In my opinion, I think much of the public is too critical. I think a racetrack announcer, who has and displays his passion, has one of the main ingredients in being a good racetrack announcer. If you look at the big names, at the big tracks -- they are all more than competent, professional, etc. Somebody may not like a drawl, inflection, or a voice, but that doesn't make them a bad announcer.

Forgetting a name, blowing a call, hesitating, whatever -- everyone makes mistakes. The majority of the fans in the game will tell you it's more the exception than the norm. Those that don't truly have something else going on and really can't see the big picture. Picking up on a mistake is one thing, making it a focal point is something completely different.

Vic Stauffer is a professional and he knows his craft.

Eric

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Are there not rules about avatars on PA?

The only avatar rule on the books: no politically charged avatars in the horse racing section. After that, it gets quite subjective.

For the record, I asked CJ to remove Karl's name from the avatar, but he is having a hard time giving up the avatar's mysterious "garlic vs. Dracula" powers.

bigmack
07-03-2007, 02:05 AM
I disagree. It seemed contrived to me
I can appreciate the fact that some don't like a call with an occasional strong level of emotion in it but contrived and as another put, obnoxious, throw opinions into animadversions.

In any sport, I distinctly remember calls from when emotion poured out of the announcer in how they personally felt of the unraveling drama. I rather like it.

There is little hope for resolution in matters of subjectivity though from experience it helps to express ones opinions with some level of diplomacy.

richrosa
07-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Vic, yesssss!!!

rastajenk
07-03-2007, 08:54 AM
I"m a Stauffer fan. I'd like to see him get a bigger stage, like the BC instead of Denman. Just one lowly man's opinion.

cj
07-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I can appreciate the fact that some don't like a call with an occasional strong level of emotion in it but contrived and as another put, obnoxious, throw opinions into animadversions...

Using the bolded word is obnoxious.

point given
07-03-2007, 09:47 AM

2nd the motion. Everyone enjoys a spirited call, but not a smart ass one. Larry is less animated, but more accurate, and I enjoy his calls, as I do Durkins and Trevors, and Dooley as well.

I was happy to hear Collmus at Gulfstream and I usually turn off the sound the few times i play hollywood. I did notice a change in VS calling though, in not telling the viewer what a horse had to, or will do, before he did, or didnot do it. (messy sentence, that one )

BTW : Did Mr Stauffer say something about Rags to Riches at the finish of the Lavaman victory ? or am I mistaken ? Seemed more appropos to me to mention Native Diver and not the 3 yo filly queen, or was it meant as an aside about the small price paid in the claim for Lavaman and the amount of money he has earned ? Thats the type stuff I abhor, it was historical and there was an editorial commentary, instead of an appropriate contextual affirmation of the significance of the achievement.

DanG
07-03-2007, 10:29 AM
2nd the motion. Everyone enjoys a spirited call, but not a smart ass one.

BTW : Did Mr Stauffer say something about Rags to Riches at the finish of the Lavaman victory ? or am I mistaken ? Seemed more appropos to me to mention Native Diver and not the 3 yo filly queen, or was it meant as an aside about the small price paid in the claim for Lavaman and the amount of money he has earned ?.
“The original Rags to Riches story”

Excellent line IMHO.

We all know how subjective this is.

If I say how much I enjoy ESPN’s racing coverage, Trevor, Durkin, Vic and yes I even think Mr. Todd Schrupp brings a welcome enthusiasm to the game. The next 5 posts will tell me how wrong I am etc…

To my ear, Vic is very knowledgeable and has a genuine love for the sport. Do I wish he would feel compelled to call less photos and when a horse gets off last the inflection in his voice doesn’t suggest slitting ones wrists…yes.

I will say however I’m glad we handicappers aren’t held up to this same scrutiny, or leaving a $180 bomb off your tickets when you use 6 in that leg would get you a lovely parting gift of the home game and maybe a kiss from Carol Merrill. ;)

cj
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM

Excellent line IMHO.

Original rags to riches story? Seabiscuit? John Henry?

DanG
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Original rags to riches story? Seabiscuit? John Henry?
OK…”Original” is stretching it…In fact, it’s hard in 2007 to say anything’s actually original, but in context of this year’s frame of reference, I thought it fit the occasion.

Obviously, not to you.

Wow…as Rodney Dangerfield used to say…

Tough crowd…tough crowd…

http://www.comedycentral.com/images/comedians/d/dangerfield_r/rodney-dangerfield_m4.jpg

cj
07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Rodney will always be original!

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I thought it was a clever line, given recent events. Perhaps "original" wasn't the best choice of words, but over analyzing a race call isn't something I do on a regular basis.

cj
07-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I remember the days when you never really heard a race call. If you were at the track, the PA system always sucked. Now, with most people betting from home, you hear a lot more of the calls.

To each his own. In the end, I know I don't really care one way or another what the announcer says unless it is telling me something about a horse I can't see on the screen.

point given
07-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Excellent line IMHO.

We all know how subjective this is.

If I say how much I enjoy ESPN’s racing coverage, Trevor, Durkin, Vic and yes I even think Mr. Todd Schrupp brings a welcome enthusiasm to the game. The next 5 posts will tell me how wrong I am etc…

To my ear, Vic is very knowledgeable and has a genuine love for the sport. Do I wish he would feel compelled to call less photos and when a horse gets off last the inflection in his voice doesn’t suggest slitting ones wrists…yes.

I will say however I’m glad we handicappers aren’t held up to this same scrutiny, ... ;)

Dan - while I respect your opinions and postings, Schrupp and Stauffer would be excluded from any" A" list of mine. While knowledge and enthusiasm are good qualities for race callers/onair talent, the over opinionated and smug are not. I know I am there, when I reach for the mute button. Since I donot have TVG , I only see/hear Todd occasionally. Vic, I think makes an excellent jocks agent and TV commentator for TVG.
I too am glad that we handicappers arenot held up to the same scrutiny, BUT, then we are not out there as public figures who seek the limelight, and want to be seen and listened to. I have heard from some public figures that my read is correct to them as well, not that is a stamp, but a confirmation of ones opinion. Just one persons opinion, like yours.

DanG
07-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I remember the days when you never really heard a race call. If you were at the track, the PA system always sucked. Now, with most people betting from home, you hear a lot more of the calls.

To each his own. In the end, I know I don't really care one way or another what the announcer says unless it is telling me something about a horse I can't see on the screen.
That’s how slow I type (or how fast CJ does)…No sooner do I get ready to post, CJ says essentially the same thing…:D

I’m getting old, so if I posted this train of thought before, forgive me.

The role and scrutiny of announcers has changed…So many of us are listening as never before.

Growing up it was mostly live racing for many of us and it was often hard to hear the call over actually live bodies screaming in the stands. (At least it was on Monmouth / Belmont weekends)

Now…we have 5 surround sound speakers pointing at our grills and we hang on every word for late changes and the stretch calls are now pumped through a subwoofer.

Yes…Every word and imperfection is now magnified and in particular if you’re calling one of the major circuits.

PS: Hats off to Vic for logging on board here. If I’m playing for the Yankees, I’m not tuning into to WFAN and hearing Mad Dog Russo rip me a new one. I think it shows genuine self confidence to get in the trenches with the players who at times have all the subtlety of a hand grenade. :eek:

DanG
07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Dan - while I respect your opinions and postings, Schrupp and Stauffer would be excluded from any" A" list of mine. While knowledge and enthusiasm are good qualities for race callers/onair talent, the over opinionated and smug are not. I know I am there, when I reach for the mute button. Since I donot have TVG , I only see/hear Todd occasionally. Vic, I think makes an excellent jocks agent and TV commentator for TVG.
I too am glad that we handicappers arenot held up to the same scrutiny, BUT, then we are not out there as public figures who seek the limelight, and want to be seen and listened to. I have heard from some public figures that my read is correct to them as well, not that is a stamp, but a confirmation of ones opinion. Just one persons opinion, like yours.
Understood Point…

I will laugh till my side hurts at Kenny Mayne of ESPN and then 10 minutes later I will read how much someone hates him.

I’m sure we will both agree, that’s why we have so many flavors of ice cream and such a wide variety of political parties too choose from…(Oh well, one out of two isn’t bad) ;) :D

delayjf
07-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Vic,

Welcome to the board, I know you were the last race caller at Ak-Sar-Ben, the track I grew up with. It would be interesting to get your perspective on it's closing one day. Like Kris Kotulak, I worked on the backstretch a few summers and lament it's closing.

Do you still jog around the track? How's the poly treating you?

boomman
07-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Vic,

Welcome to the board, I know you were the last race caller at Ak-Sar-Ben, the track I grew up with. It would be interesting to get your perspective on it's closing one day. Like Kris Kotulak, I worked on the backstretch a few summers and lament it's closing.

Do you still jog around the track? How's the poly treating you?

As a race caller and someone who also was introduced to horse racing at Ak-Sar-Ben, I wanted to throw my two cents worth in of how much I miss that track. I cried the day they tore it down, but my memorable summers there will live on forever!

Boomer

bigmack
07-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Using the bolded word is obnoxious.
Run it by your proofreader ACap. He might have more of a capacity to appreciate it. This might help in the future: http://www.polish-dictionary.com/

cj
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Run it by your proofreader ACap. He might have more of a capacity to appreciate it. This might help in the future: http://www.polish-dictionary.com/

Thanks for showing your true colors and making it personal. I thought Polish jokes went out in the 70s.

46zilzal
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I thought Polish jokes went out in the 70s.
No they are exploit jokes. When I was in Texas the group picked on were Texas A&M Aggies and here they pick on Newfies (Newfoundlanders). Same jokes, different groups exploited.

cj
07-03-2007, 02:33 PM
No they are exploit jokes. When I was in Texas the group picked on were Texas A&M Aggies and here they pick on Newfies (Newfoundlanders). Same jokes, different groups exploited.

Gee, thanks.

I'm curious if those that found my avatar offensive, or calling someone's race calls obnoxious a horrible act, will find bashing my heritage acceptable.

garyoz
07-03-2007, 02:36 PM
In the world of announcing I think there is no such thing as bad publicity. The fact that fans know who you are means that you are doing your job. I think of track announcers sort of how I think of track bias, track configuration, etc. They are what make this sport unique and tracks individualistic or differentiated. I think of Vic S. as one of us, a player, which makes me want to hear his call.

In a post, I once called Tom Dooley's called "sterile." A comment that I now regret. I just felt he didn't fit the Big A the year he called the winter meet and never gave him a fair shake after that. I now think of him as the "voice" of AP--although not yet as the "voice" of FG. As an aside, it is great to hear Frank M. at Pleasanton. I may even play the track, although I detest NoCal racing.

Announcers are the personfication of a track, and I say cut them some slack. But, heck, I even liked Marshall Cassidy.

46zilzal
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM
There are a lot of good Polish folks around. They just beat Brazil in soccer over the weekend.

cj
07-03-2007, 02:56 PM
There are a lot of good Polish folks around. They just beat Brazil in soccer over the weekend.

That makes them good folks?

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2007, 03:34 PM
So, I guess we're through discussing Vic and Gulfstream....:lol:

richrosa
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
yesss!

(I couldn't resist that)

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Gee, thanks.

I'm curious if those that found my avatar offensive, or calling someone's race calls obnoxious a horrible act, will find bashing my heritage acceptable.

Some folks have a hard time drawing the distinction between a fictional online moniker (Karlskorner) and someone's real life private business (CJs last name and Polish ancestry). Strange how that works sometimes.

It's also interesting how you can make fun of some heritages while others are completely OFF LIMITS.

Since we've finished discussing Vic and Gulfstream, I thought I'd add my 2 cents....plus I'm half Polish myself....

banacek
07-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Gee, thanks.

I found the avatar and heritage-bashing both offensive. Your comments on Vic's race calling are open game, but using the word "obnoxious" and then replying to Vic "I think you are a good guy and good for bettors" is a bit confusing.

I honestly (thankfully) missed the post where your heritage was bashed, and if I had seen it I would have responded as well. I have no use for such "humour" and 46 is right, Newfie jokes used to be common here in Canada, but I don't don't hear them any more - at least not in my circle of friends.

Banacek

P.S. yes, Banacek was Polish. George Peppard even got an award from the Polish-American Congress for positive portrayal of Polish Americans.

bigmack
07-03-2007, 05:21 PM
My intent was to post a Dutch dictionary but the list included Polish so I threw it in for a bit of levity. I'll have to crack out my Living in a Politically Correct World pamphlet and brush-up on my decorum. You mean people don't use ethnic jokes anymore? Hell, everyone I know does.

No harm intented. If anyone has any Irish or Sweedish jabs I'd be willing to be the brunt of them and promise not to take it personally.

This thread started on a dopey note and brought uncalled for posts starting with #3 and including #32. No big deal.

foregoforever
07-03-2007, 06:23 PM
In a post, I once called Tom Dooley's called "sterile." A comment that I now regret.

Hang down your head. It's John G. Dooley.

Last I heard, Tom was still down in some lonesome valley hangin’ from a white oak tree. :) :) :)

GaryG
07-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Hang down your head. It's John G. Dooley.

Last I heard, Tom was still down in some lonesome valley hangin’ from a white oak tree. :) :) :)Actually he was hung on the town square in Statesville, NC. And he may have been innocent, too much of a gentleman to rat out one of his lady friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dooley_(song)

karlskorner
07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Out of 4 thousand signed on your site, I don't know why ( unless you have personal reasons ) you chose karlskorner as an example. He signed on 5 years ago as C J, anyone who has been around since then knows he is Polish. So what ? He altered and deleted one of my posts because I used his last name and requested I don't use it again. So be it.

DanG
07-03-2007, 07:59 PM
My guess is this thread is beginning to give Vic Stauffer pause, at the very least. :confused:

This thread may have begun…”straight and strong”, but it’s currently bolted and is heading toward Whittingham's Pub. :faint:

karlskorner
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM
That didn't take long, deleted his last name and the next post I put up.

NY BRED
07-03-2007, 08:28 PM
While Larry gives a concise call , his monotone call would not work
in La La land or in NY on a long term basis.

Vic's calls are crisp, dynamic, and run a close call to the theatrics of
Tom Durkin, who in my opinion would fit in Ca.

mannyberrios
07-03-2007, 08:34 PM
For me, Marshall Casedy was the best race caller I ever heard back in New York. What happened to him anyway?

46zilzal
07-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Up to a few years ago, Marshall Cassidy was still around.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=12250

The Hawk
07-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Collmus is hardly monotone. Cassidy was the epiome of monotone, and he lasted a LONG time in NY as the last bearable announcer they had, IMO.

I think this is the point: A lot of people don't like or need theatrics, or dynamics, from a racecaller. Call the race and be accurate. That's it.

v j stauffer
07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Even after 20 years and 70,000 calls it's freaky to read what people say about you.

Smug and obnoxious seems to go more to who I am than what I do. That stings a bit but the trade off is getting to share my love for our game.

I know why some people don't like my calls. But please know this, it's "never" contrived. It's just me trying to report what I'm feeling when I'm lucky enough to call a horse like Lava Man.

Some will say that's not my place. Perhaps they are right. But if so they will never be comfortable with my work because my passion for our game and stars will never fade.

I'm just another full of crap horse player that when I'm not calling I'm banging down a few brews with pals and arguing P.Val vs C Nak and Rags To Riches vs. Curlin and Street Sense.

I totally appreciate the kind words. And very much respect dissenting opinions. Believe me I "really" enjoy the input. What I do is an on going project. I try to learn and refine everyday. Suggestions from "real" horse players are always appreciated. I believe the members of forums like this are just that.

And so it goes.

Thanks so much for listening.

VJS

ELA
07-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Even after 20 years and 70,000 calls it's freaky to read what people say about you.

Smug and obnoxious seems to go more to who I am than what I do. That stings a bit but the trade off is getting to share my love for our game.

I know why some people don't like my calls. But please know this, it's "never" contrived. It's just me trying to report what I'm feeling when I'm lucky enough to call a horse like Lava Man.

Some will say that not my place. Perhaps they are right. But if so they will never be comfortable with my work because my passion for our game and stars will never fade.

I'm just another full of crap horse player that when I'm not calling I'm banging down a few brews with pals and arguing P.Val vs C Nak and Rags To Riches vs. Curlin and Street Sense.

I totally appreciate the kind words. And very much respect dissenting opinions. Believe me I "really" enjoy the input. What I do is an on going project. I try to learn and refine everyday. Suggestions from "real" horse players are always appreciated. I believe the members of forums like this are just that.

And so it goes.

Thanks so much for listening.

VJS

Excellent post! And, thank you.

Eric

richrosa
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Vic besides being a great race caller (and we have nearly all the best posting here) has a truly great reputation as being a good guy. I for one would buy him a good beer (preferably a good ale), just to have an argument over the next race.

point given
07-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Apparently not for VS in Florida either; which has a heavy dose of both ex and snow bird New Yawkers. Yet, LC is still finding his voice, to add to his concise calls, and we DO want concise and accurate calls first , don't we ?
Ever listen to brit and aussie callers go thru a field of 20 ? There is just no time to get cute there. maybe that is the problem we have here, with short fields and callers with too much time ? then there are those folks who push the buttons to put the numbers on the screen for the leaders. NYRA button pushers have got to be the absolute worst in the business, even after remediation ! If there ever was a place that needed that Trakkus system, NYRA is the place.

point given
07-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Collmus is hardly monotone. Cassidy was the epiome of monotone, and he lasted a LONG time in NY as the last bearable announcer they had, IMO.

I think this is the point: A lot of people don't like or need theatrics, or dynamics, from a racecaller. Call the race and be accurate. That's it.

Keeneland just added a caller how many moons ago ? Must have been really bizarre before that , just everyone with their binocs telling those without 'em what was happening. Anyone have any memories of that aspect at Keeneland ?

JustRalph
07-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Keeneland just added a caller how many moons ago ? Must have been really bizarre before that , just everyone with their binocs telling those without 'em what was happening. Anyone have any memories of that aspect at Keeneland ?

yep, and now he will soon be out of a job.........due to the Chicklets! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Out of 4 thousand signed on your site, I don't know why ( unless you have personal reasons ) you chose karlskorner as an example.

Ahhh....you obviously have "display avatars" set to the "OFF" position.....

Carry on...

ezrabrooks
07-04-2007, 08:08 AM

It was not all that bad. They rang the bell, the horn called the horses on to the track, the horses warmed up, the horn called the horses to the post, and then the excitement of the crowd let it be known that the gates had opened. After that, you watched the race. Outdated I guess, but it didn't take away from the race. One thing that always impressed me about Keeneland... the applause the winner always gets coming back.

Ez

KingChas
07-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Enough of the off topic of heritage.

Let me tell you about Vic S.

I do not know him personally.I am a East Coast capper.Vic did not thrill me at 1st hearing his calls thought he was Calif. emoting.Then I heard his views on TVG.Guy can handicap.

I saw earlier this week Vic had keyed the #3 in the 1st race of the pik-6.The #3 never got out of the gate.Vic continued to make the race call as enthusiastic (sic) as ever.

Vic is a pure class. Grade I. :cool:

I would be honored to buy him a beer anytime.
Vic is one of us.
As for the other callers let me say this "A bad racecaller is better than a good day at work". :ThmbUp:

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Larry Collmus and Vic are both great announcers and both extremely colorful during the races. I think Durkin and Denman are also great.

I was hysterical when i heard Vic saying his goodbyes to life on air during that race when the earthquake hit near Hollywood Park in 2005. I am sure it was very scary and surely no joke but i still laughed...

listen to it here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4707626

point given
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=KingChas]Enough of the off topic of heritage.

Let me tell you about Vic S.

I do not know him personally.I am a East Coast capper.Vic did not thrill me at 1st hearing his calls thought he was Calif. emoting.Then I heard his views on TVG.Guy can handicap.

I saw earlier this week Vic had keyed the #3 in the 1st race of the pik-6.The #3 never got out of the gate.Vic continued to make the race call as enthusiastic (sic) as ever.

/QUOTE]

Like i posted before, i luv him on TVG, and as a jocks agent he is tops ! Helluva guy to still be able to call the said race when his heart was broken with his horse getting a poor start. Such things are legends made. :lol:

BlueShoe
07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
As others have said,choices of race callers are varied.Am repeating myself from earlier threads,bit imo Vic is the top announcer working,and is my favorite.That said,there are at least a dozen other callers whose work I enjoy.

TravisVOX
07-05-2007, 08:28 PM
If all announcers called a race the same way, we wouldn't have 5 page threads on the boards!

point given
07-05-2007, 09:31 PM
If all announcers called a race the same way, we wouldn't have 5 page threads on the boards!

travis ,noticed your calls have progressed nicely since the roof at the Spa !

Getting hot enough to wring out the $ in your wallet yet down there ? But in Vegas its a dry 115. ;)

boomman
07-05-2007, 11:31 PM

Getting hot enough to wring out the $ in your wallet yet down there ? But in Vegas its a dry 115. ;)

point: I used to visit Frank Mirahmadi when he was there, and it could possibly be the hottest spot on earth in the summer time. You can cut the humidity there with a knife!!!:D

Boomer

gIracing
07-06-2007, 04:01 AM
I don't have a problem with Larry at all... all I'm saying is he is no Vic. It's just not the same. Read the footnotes anyone?

with that said, I like EVG's track announcer as well.. small track but he does a good job or so it seems.

I have a couple of callers I'm not too fond of, but that's a tough, tough job and I'm not one to critize someone for something I can't do myself

ceejay
07-06-2007, 08:31 AM
But please know this, it's "never" contrived.
So when you said "Showing the Speed of Ruffian, the class of Lady's Secret and the Heart of Personal Ensign. One of the Greats of ALL time! This IS AZERI!" you just thought of it as she was running down the stretch. Impressive.

TravisVOX
07-06-2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks! I really appreciate the comments, I've been working on the calls a lot lately and hearing the feedback is rewarding.

It's actually been nice here, really cannot complain. Last night felt like a spring or fall evening in New York. I had the windows down and everything. Today though, my back porch is flooded.

v j stauffer
07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Ceejay

I think there's a difference between contrived and thought out. But if you didn't like that call I can see your point.

I tried to honor a great filly.

One of my all time favorites and IMO one of the best ever.

DeanT
07-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I love your calls Vic.

I have watched the replays on Youtube et al for Read the Footnotes and Lava Man several times.

You were excited right along with us to watch those wonderful races, run by wonderful athletes, and the passion came through. You tend to emote what much of us are feeling and I personally love that in a race caller. Some people don't and I understand that, but I like it.

They don't seem contrived to me at all. For example, Tom Durkin uses some wonderful alliteration to get his point across and paint the picture. To me that is not contrived, it is doing your job.

Keep up the good work and best luck in the future, trying to capture the great call.

George Sands
07-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Vic,

I think there are a lot of good things about you as an announcer, and everyone I know agrees you are a good guy who loves the game. However, there are a few things you could do that would, in my opinion, make your calls a little stronger:

1: Most important by far: Stop saying "HER and [fill in name of filly] are battling for the lead." Saying "She and..." would be so much less distracting.

2: Stop projecting who will have the lead at the 1/4 pole. The horses will get there soon enough, at which point you can tell us who actually does have the lead at that point.

3: Stop saying "all in." Let poker steal from horse racing.

Also:

4: Stop that "track of the lakes, flowers, and Alex Solis" stuff at the end of the night.

But these are minor things, and I do enjoy many of your calls. Thank you for that.

ceejay
07-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Ceejay

I think there's a difference between contrived and thought out.
Fair enough.

I tried to honor a great filly.

Mine too! :) :)

bigmack
07-06-2007, 06:35 PM
VJ, Hold on to your lug nuts for tonights concert with Big Head Todd & The Monsters. Socks will roll up & down.

Boom Boom with JL Hooker:
http://www.flurl.com/item/Big_Head_Todd_Boom_u_263392

JustRalph
07-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Vic, if you are still reading this thread..........

I have Mike Battaglia's email somewhere.......... I will find it and forward it to you. That way you can "gain some ground" on your race calling.......... :lol:

I know, just s stupid post................ I will go back to bed.............. :bang: :bang:

v j stauffer
07-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Vic,

I think there are a lot of good things about you as an announcer, and everyone I know agrees you are a good guy who loves the game. However, there are a few things you could do that would, in my opinion, make your calls a little stronger:

1: Most important by far: Stop saying "HER and [fill in name of filly] are battling for the lead." Saying "She and..." would be so much less distracting.

2: Stop projecting who will have the lead at the 1/4 pole. The horses will get there soon enough, at which point you can tell us who actually does have the lead at that point.

Also:

4: Stop that "track of the lakes, flowers, and Alex Solis" stuff at the end of the night.

But these are minor things, and I do enjoy many of your calls. Thank you for that.

George

Thanks for taking time to offer ideas. The Her She thing is something I've never thought of. Is it a grammatical error?

Re: #'s 2 3 & 4

I'm gonna keep doing those. They're part of my style and I have to be true to myself.

Besides the WSOP started this weekend. Gotta stay with the poker reference
for a while.

Thanks for listening.

VJS

DanG
07-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Vic;

Two observations so far tonight… (As of 1 minute prior to the Cash Call Mile)

Don’t ever let the detractors let you lose sight of who you are. I missed that adrenaline rush tonight…Its late back east and we need that hyper boost. :jump:

Nice job on the Japanese pronunciations during the post parade! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Zaf
07-07-2007, 01:26 AM
OUCH , that hurt , I was alive with the #2,#3,#4 in the pik 3 :(

time to hit the hay :sleeping:

Z

v j stauffer
07-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Vic;

Two observations so far tonight… (As of 1 minute prior to the Cash Call Mile)

Don’t ever let the detractors let you lose sight of who you are. I missed that adrenaline rush tonight…Its late back east and we need that hyper boost. :jump:

Nice job on the Japanese pronunciations during the post parade! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Thanks. My girlfriend and I worked on them for about a half hour Friday afternoon.

Couple more tomorrow in the Oaks.

rrpic6
07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Vic:

I miss hearing Jim Dolan from Waterford/Mountaineer. Since he's retired now, you might want to use some of his catch phrases as horses near the finish line. If a horse is going to be a clear cut winner Jim would say "in front" or "shows the way". If it was going to be a close finish, "Heads apart for the lead". When you say "Yessss", I have bad visuals of Marv Albert, sans hairpiece, in panties and garters sitting high above the finish line.

RR

v j stauffer
07-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Vic:

I miss hearing Jim Dolan from Waterford/Mountaineer. Since he's retired now, you might want to use some of his catch phrases as horses near the finish line. If a horse is going to be a clear cut winner Jim would say "in front" or "shows the way". If it was going to be a close finish, "Heads apart for the lead". When you say "Yessss", I have bad visuals of Marv Albert, sans hairpiece, in panties and garters sitting high above the finish line.

RR

Jim had a long and excellent career. I say both in front and shows the way at various times in my call. The latter rarely at the wire.

If you have bad visuals with me and Marv. You might wanna check out the final race on the No Cal fairs everyday. I hear tell that occasionally Mr. Albert has been known to call an entire race.

Happy American Oaks Day!!

Suff
07-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Announcers have been mostly irrelevant to me over the years. Whether it was live and simulcast when I sat at Suffolk Downs from 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM betting east coast across the country, or meadowlands night racing which I used to love.

90% of the time I know where my money is in the race. 8 of 10 you know how the race is going to unfold and only need the announcer for bad breaks or mid-race anomalies.

It has always been no matter as to who called the race. Except for Tom Durkin. That's the one guy that added to my experience. Maybe because I bet a lot of New York, or maybe because I've bet big on races he has called. Tom Durkin is just an announcer who I grew to enjoy.

One of my all-time favorites? 2002 Test stakes. Duel between undefeated Carson Hollow and YOU. " in soooooo tight!!"

If you have 2 minutes, watch this race. A great call of a great race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCuJjhBBCSs

DanG
07-07-2007, 08:55 PM
One of my all-time favorites? 2002 Test stakes. Duel between undefeated Carson Hollow and YOU. " in soooooo tight!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCuJjhBBCSs
Brilliant race & call…:ThmbUp:

Thanks Suff.

point given
07-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Suff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCuJjhBBCSs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCuJjhBBCSs)

Brilliant race & call…:ThmbUp:

Thanks Suff.__________________
Dan G

What a race and call, superb ! Thats the thing about Durkins calls, he is so well spoken , intelligent , natural and adroit with his calls. There is never a prepared line, it all flows off the top with nary a beat missed. Funny, I was on track for the race, but all I saw were asses, and all i heard was thundering screaming. Glad to finally see the race and hear the call. :D

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
There is never a prepared line, it all flows off the top with nary a beat missed.

Now, that's not entirely true. I think it's a well known fact that Durkin goes into the bigger races with some preplanned lines depending on what unfolds at the end.

Remember Cigar in the BC Classic?

point given
07-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Now, that's not entirely true. I think it's a well known fact that Durkin goes into the bigger races with some preplanned lines depending on what unfolds at the end.

Remember Cigar in the BC Classic?

Fair enough. Well, almost never ! :cool:

boomman
07-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I doubt he prepared this one because you wouldn't count on a 99x1 shot winning the Breeder's Cup Classic, but one of Tom's best lines IMHO was "Here's Arcangues, an impossible winner parimutuelly speaking"!!:ThmbUp:

And even though that was a fantastic line, I was alive for 7-7 in the pick 7 to Bertrando, who opened up by 4 at the 1/8 pole! OUCH!!!!!:bang:

Boomer

46zilzal
07-07-2007, 11:59 PM
I liked what Bailey said: "I didn't try to impose my will on the horse and just let him run."

Guy in front of me had lost all day so his wife said something to the effect: "I hear this French trainer has done well in these races. For our last bet let's go $5.00 across on this R-Cagney!"

We all congratulated her for being so bold.

BlueShoe
07-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Is Vic going to be doing Santa Rosa as he has done in previous years?With the slight change in the California Fair circuit dates Santa Rosa will be goiing for three weeks starting next week.With the end of Hollypark fits right into his schedule,would think.For grass fans,SR has a turf course.

bigmack
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Is Vic going to be doing Santa Rosa as he has done in previous years?With the slight change in the California Fair circuit dates Santa Rosa will be goiing for three weeks starting next week.With the end of Hollypark fits right into his schedule,would think.For grass fans,SR has a turf course.
Yeah, he still barks up at SR. I believe he's a suds fan, which is too bad as the area offers some awfully good vino.

http://www.goldenhaven.com/images/winery1-display.jpg

v j stauffer
07-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Actually I've been known to box them in the exacta.

As for Santa Rosa we open on Wed. July 18th for three weeks of racing in Wine Country.

Looking forward to it very much.

Scotchman
07-14-2007, 05:05 AM

As for Santa Rosa we open on Wed. July 18th for three weeks of racing in Wine Country.

Looking forward to it very much.

Good job Vic, I'll look forward to that. A bad announcer can certainly detract from my enjoyment at the track. Win or lose, I always find your calls entertaining. Even when you called the wrong horse the other day, you handled it right away, I believe you said "My Bad!". A lot of announcers would have been flabbergasted in that situation. Keep up the good work! :ThmbUp:

bigmack
07-14-2007, 01:01 PM

:lol::lol:

46zilzal
07-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Last year we were camping at Clear Lake and we all traveled to the Fair. Was one for one that day and was pleasantly surprised to hear Vic calling at one of my all time favorite venues. I used to go there twice a meeting when I lived in Redwood City.

46zilzal
07-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Are the fair meets going to have to go synthetic? That would be a big waste of assets.

v j stauffer
07-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Are the fair meets going to have to go synthetic? That would be a big waste of assets.

No. Only tracks that run more than 4 consecutive weeks.

tomcalta
07-17-2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9d9Pk48b0

Great call Vic!

Grits
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Vic, I so miss you at Gulfstream during the winter.

Then again, there is a lot one can miss at Gulfstream, unless one is a fulltime slot player and buffet patron.

You're a fine racecaller, one of the top in the profession.

point given
07-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Vic, I so miss you at Gulfstream during the winter.

Then again, there is a lot one can miss at Gulfstream, unless one is a fulltime slot player and buffet patron.

You're a fine racecaller, one of the top in the profession.

Thank you Mrs Stauffer :lol:

Grits
07-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you Mrs Stauffer :lol:

Good one, but sorry . . . wrong; never met the man in my life. LOL

v j stauffer
07-17-2007, 02:49 PM
That's right Grits. I haven't met Mrs. Stauffer and don't want to.

Grits
07-17-2007, 03:02 PM

You're a smart man, keep thinking that way. Life's much less complicated if you do. LOLOL

boomman
07-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Vic: Does your girlfriend read this board???Hope for your sake she doesn't!:D

Boomer

point given
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Didnot know you were "that" way Vic ! :lol:

v j stauffer
07-18-2007, 01:49 AM
No Boom she has a life.

boomman
07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
No Boom she has a life.

Touche!!!:lol:

Boom

cj's dad
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Dave Rodman( Laurel Park/Pimlico) fits this description perfectly.
Please note- all words have been spelled correctly and used in their proper context.:D

TravisVOX
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM

I would agree with you to a certain point, but then how do you gauge the color commentary in football, or basketball? If Al Michaels said, "He makes the goal" as opposed to "Do you believe in miracles?" - would the video replay carry the same impact it does today?

I think that's where announcers come into play. They help to convey, but not substitute, the excitement and scenario on the racetrack while of course doing their most basic duty of explaining what is happening, and where horses are.

When I announce my thought process includes sharing my enthusiasm for the game. If a couple of Louisiana-bred $5k claimers hit the wire noses up-and-down, I get excited. But it's always a fine line to walk.

Kelso
07-18-2007, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=TravisVOX]
If Al Michaels said, "He makes the goal" as opposed to "Do you believe in miracles?" - would the video replay carry the same impact it does today?
[QUOTE]

That game created its own excitement. Decades after, it is the story, the play and the final score that have "impact." Michaels is nothing more than an anecdote.

I think track announcers should do their jobs the way news reporters, once upon a time, did theirs. Just gimme the facts ... and keep your damned opinions to yourself. (Implied "you" in general.) Instead, everybody now wants to be a part of the story.

That doesn't mean that some excitement shouldn't creep into one's voice when reporting "live," as at a racetrack and when something is actually exciting. But, I prefer to simply learn from an announcer ... in a clear, concise and accurate manner ... what of moment is happening .

I think Larry Collmus is an excellent race caller.

tomcalta
07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Well isn't that boring. I like race callers. I think some times they sound kind of phony getting excited just because its a big race and nationally televised. But thats what they are paid for. If it wasnt colorful and the announcer just stated what was happenning, why would we have any need for an announcer? We could just watch the race (leaving out the older folks who can't see the numbers on the saddle cloth)

agree- Collmus is one of the best, quite underrated.

point given
07-19-2007, 10:55 AM
agree- Collmus is one of the best, quite underrated.

Larry is going to need a new hat size .:lol:

tomcalta
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Larry is going to need a new hat size .:lol:

partial to MP- my hometown:)

Kelso
07-19-2007, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=tomcalta]
If it wasnt colorful and the announcer just stated what was happenning, why would we have any need for an announcer? We could just watch the race (leaving out the older folks who can't see the numbers on the saddle cloth)
[QUOTE]

Perhaps to call all the positons of all the horses whose numbers aren't among the top 4 that show on the tote board?

Perhaps to assist even those keen-eyed youngsters who didn't bring binoculars to the track and would like to know what's happening on the backstretch?

Just perhaps.

toetoe
07-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Now we have Sir Vic not for two weeks, but for THREE weeks at Santa Rosa. :bang: :D

Ray
07-29-2007, 04:01 AM
Vic,

Also:

man you have alot of time on your hands why dont you go do this ...:bang: pr this :cool: you really need one or the other . I dont know what you do for a living but he has been calling races for over 20 year i think he has a handle on it by now but Im sure you have pulled out these suggestions from your many years of calling races.

Sailwolf
07-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Vic is great and so is the Aussie :jump:

Bruddah
07-29-2007, 12:14 PM
My guess would be arond 100 plus or minus 25, in the United States. If these numbers are close to being correct, then Vic Stauffer certainly is in the top two or three and number one in my estimation. I would love to have him calling the races at Oaklawn, when Terry Wallace retires. However, Vic seems to be a big town guy and not one to enjoy the mountains, lakes and layed back living.

It just goes to show whether it's jockeys, race callers or trainers, they are going to have fans and detractors. It's unfortunate but comes with the territory. However, the real pros, in each group, handle it with class.

I hope they all are sensitive to the fans but try to be themselves. My thanks to all of them for their varied talents. Even Trevor Denman, my least favorite. :kiss: :)

Ray
07-29-2007, 02:44 PM
My guess would be arond 100 plus or minus 25, in the United States. If these numbers are close to being correct, then Vic Stauffer certainly is in the top two or three and number one in my estimation. I would love to have him calling the races at Oaklawn, when Terry Wallace retires. However, Vic seems to be a big town guy and not one to enjoy the mountains, lakes and layed back living.

It just goes to show whether it's jockeys, race callers or trainers, they are going to have fans and detractors. It's unfortunate but comes with the territory. However, the real pros, in each group, handle it with class.

I hope they all are sensitive to the fans but try to be themselves. My thanks to all of them for their varied talents. Even Trevor Denman, my least favorite. :kiss: :)

I think you have Vic all wrong under that slick exterior you have a man who enjoys a good Margarita and as far as I can see he is really enjoying his time in Wine Country at Santa Rosa im sure if it didnt interefere with all he has going on right now he would look at Oaklawn that is a fun meet and a fun guy what a good mix!

boomman
07-30-2007, 12:45 AM

Bruddah: Although I'm not sure of the exact number of my colleagues (although counting harness announcers, your estimation is probably in the ballpark) I totally agree (especially after reading these posts) that EVERY announcer will have his fans and detractors, and that comes with the territory of being in the public's eye. I also agree with you that each one of us have our own style, and I can tell you that speaking personally, in my 25+ years of track announcing, I have always tried to be myself, and to demonstrate to the fans the amount of enthusiasm and passion I have for this sport. It is my sincere hope that my "style" will be remembered in that way.:)

Boomer

BIG RED
07-30-2007, 03:20 AM
JMO, Vic's best call...

a lot of shak'n go'n on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9d9Pk48b0)

BIG RED
07-30-2007, 03:32 AM
"......by the way, I love you all, and horseracing was my first love"

CLASSIC Vic :ThmbUp:

Bruddah
07-30-2007, 08:02 AM
in meeting race callers, over my 40+ years of being a thoroughbred racing fan, they all are individuals of class and people I would like to hang out with, at the end of the day. I haven't met many (my guess 6-7) but all were open, honest and down to earth, without pretentions. A rare combination in most celebrities, of any industry. Personally, I think this combination is pivotal to being a good race caller. Why? Because they meet and are met by every type of individual on the socio economic ladder. From the down and out, to the "hoity toity" jet set.

(JMHO) but race callers don't get 'Dee respect Dey Desoive'. :)