PDA

View Full Version : Top Two Memorable Races You've Seen Live

bigmack
06-30-2007, 07:51 PM
1: Secretariat @ AP a few weeks after winning the triple crown.
2: Cigar - Loosing the Pacific Classic

Premier Turf Club
06-30-2007, 08:11 PM
1. Touch Gold beating Silver Charm at the wire in Belmont

2. Go For Wand losing by a 1/2 length to Stella Madrid in 1989 Matron at BEL after a long stretch battle. (I know it's a wierd choice. I just loved Go For Wand)

gIracing
06-30-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm just 24 so I don't have many BUT

1. Concern winning the Arkansas Derby

2. Invasor clobbering Discreet Cat this year at Dubai... also on that note Admire Moon in the duty free

DanG
06-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Big Mack…Only two?

Tough choices here…

1977 – Seattle Slew winning the triple crown at Belmont. It wasn’t the race oddly enough that sticks in my mind. We waited by the rail of the paddock to have a good view as they entered the ring. (Please tell me someone else was there to see this.)

I’ll take to my death bed Slew won that race before they ever stepped on the track. Slew was one of the last to arrive and when entering he reared up and let off the loudest scream you can imagine.

People who study wild horses say the stallions have “whinnying” (is that a word?) contest to see who will breed the mares. When Slew did this you could see the other animals get very fractious. He was announcing his presence with authority like the great stallion he would later become.

1989 – Easy Goer in The Whitney. I became obsessed with Easy and after following him in Florida I had to see him after the Belmont. Still one of my favorite racing moments when vs. older he was bottled up entering and just exploded through when he saw daylight. If Lustra (as the rabbit) set a faster pace than 48.2 the track record was going to belong to a 3yo without a doubt IMHO.

Whitney Video courtesy of YouTube…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B7SdaqRgPw

boomman
06-30-2007, 09:54 PM
There are many more than 2, so I'm just going to give you the best one I ever saw "live" (by a mile) The 1984 Breeder's Cup Classic at Hollywood Park...3 horses right on the line together Wild Again (Day), Slew of Gold (Cordero) and Gate Dancer (Pincay) with 3 Hall of Fame Riders aboard...I will never if I live to be 100 forget the roar of the crowd that day as they turned for home (and all the way down the stretch) in the Inaugural Breeder's Cup Classic:)

Boomer

bigmack
06-30-2007, 10:01 PM
People who study wild horses say the stallions have “whinnying” (is that a word?) contest to see who will breed the mares. When Slew did this you could see the other animals get very fractious. He was announcing his presence with authority like the great stallion he would later become.
Nice story.

Now THAT was a ground saving trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9UqCwASKpc

http://www.seattleslew.com/images/dailyformracerecord.jpg

DanG
06-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Thanks Mack;

Good to see that again…

Certainty a day variants were needed to put that time / performance in perspective. Heavy track that day and the rail was NOT the place to be IMO. I had forgotten about the challenge he got entering the backstretch (ala Smarty Jones).

Great animal and even greater at stud. :ThmbUp:

DanG
06-30-2007, 10:22 PM
There are many more than 2, so I'm just going to give you the best one I ever saw "live" (by a mile) The 1984 Breeder's Cup Classic at Hollywood Park...3 horses right on the line together Wild Again (Day), Slew of Gold (Cordero) and Gate Dancer (Pincay) with 3 Hall of Fame Riders aboard...I will never if I live to be 100 forget the roar of the crowd that day as they turned for home (and all the way down the stretch) in the Inaugural Breeder's Cup Classic:)

Boomer
Good call Boom; :ThmbUp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqin6Xv5al0

boomman
06-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Good call Boom; :ThmbUp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqin6Xv5al0

Thanks Dan! You too! Boom

Good4Now
06-30-2007, 10:46 PM
One Million dollars, the inaugural running of the Arlington Million.
If you can find a film of it see if Shoemaker had John Henry in front at ANY point but the wire!

DanG
06-30-2007, 11:13 PM
One Million dollars, the inaugural running of the Arlington Million.
If you can find a film of it see if Shoemaker had John Henry in front at ANY point but the wire!
Good4Now…

I regret never seeing old John race live. I saw him in his stall all wired in like Hannibal Lecter, but you saw the real deal…

Video is a little fuzzy and thanks to all these racing fans posting great races on YouTube. :ThmbUp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0PivA8zHw&mode=related&search=

gIracing
06-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Nice story.

http://www.seattleslew.com/images/dailyformracerecord.jpg

damn man are thoose weights are speed figures?

bigmack
06-30-2007, 11:24 PM
I regret never seeing old John race live. I saw him in his stall all wired in like Hannibal Lecter
I second that emotion. (Note to self: Write a song to that effect)

Rumor has it that John liked his feed with a nice Chianti and some fava beans.

The more I learn of him, he was less a horse and more a cantankerous machine.

Thanks for the vid and to the those that up to YouTube.

DanG
06-30-2007, 11:29 PM
damn man are thoose weights are speed figures?
LOL GI!!! :D

You have to love the arrogance those running lines Mack posted. Here’s what I’m going to do…do something about it!

You want the lead…well…Do you feel lucky, punk?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/2/27/Harry_Callahan.JPG

DanG
06-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I second that emotion. (Note to self: Write a song to that effect)
Rumor has it that John liked his feed with a nice Chianti and some fava beans.

The more I learn of him, he was less a horse and more a cantankerous machine.
LOL!!! :lol:

He was as mean as a snake. It may very well have been that nasty streak why so many horses got to his neck and thought better of it.

BTW: Miss ‘girl power Rags to Riches is no “lady” around the barn either. She can be down right rude. She tried to bite Pletcher the day after the Belmont.

Hank
07-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Did not see it live, but Slew's gritty LOSS in the JCGC, coming BACK at Exceller after going 9n2 Stamped him the CROWN PRINCE of speed horses, NO QUIT in that ole boy.:ThmbUp:

Cratos
07-01-2007, 02:23 AM
1: Secretariat @ AP a few weeks after winning the triple crown.
2: Cigar - Loosing the Pacific Classic

To only name two is very difficult because over a 40 year period in this game I have seen many from Secretariat’s smashing 1973 Belmont victory to Forego in 1976 coming late to nip the speedy Honest Pleasure in the Marlboro Cup to Ghostzapper’s career finale in the 2005 Met Mile.

However my top two greatest live races will be by the same horse, Dr. Fager my all time favorite horse. The first was the 1967 Woodward when Damascus’s trainer entered the speedy Hevedar to soften the good Doctor up (and he did) for Damascus. Incidentally also in that race was the great Buckpasser.

My second greatest race would come on a cold windy November day in 1968 when Dr Fager made his final start and what a start it was. The good Doctor were burden with a whopping 139 pounds on his back and faced two of the fastest sprinters (Jim J and Kissing George) at the time in the 7 furlong Vosburgh and he did not disappoint his supporters as he shattered the Aqueduct 7 furlong record en route to a commanding 6 length victory.

bigmack
07-01-2007, 03:30 AM
However my top two greatest live races will be by the same horse, Dr. Fager my all time favorite horse.
There is little doubt that the award for the greatest cult status of an oft-forgotten T-Bred goes to the sui generis Doctor.

http://www.championsgallery.com/Dr%20Fager%20Suburban%2068%208x10.jpg
(Dr.F finishing them off in The Suburban)

Horsefan
07-01-2007, 04:39 AM
I have probably not seen as many of the truly great races as the rest of you. But I am moved deeply by these two (especially after reading the stories behind them) The 1978 Jockey Gold Cup -where (can't turn bold off) "Exceller is flying" passes Slew, who had led all the way at a very fast pace, and Slew still fights back to lose only by a nose. Very proud of both Slew and Exceller.

Not sure of date- Personal Ensign's last race and BC victory over Winning Colors. Retired unbeaten in 13 starts and produced 2 descendants to win the BC as well (My Flag and Storm Flag Flying) Read the story on Wikepedia and then watch the race on Youtube for full effect.

GARY Z
07-01-2007, 07:54 AM
[QU

Not sure of date- Personal Ensign's last race and BC victory over Winning Colors. Retired unbeaten in 13 starts and produced 2 descendants to win the BC as well (My Flag and Storm Flag Flying) Read the story on Wikepedia and then watch the race on Youtube for full effect.

the victory of personal ensign in this race, at least in my opinion is the
greatest breeders cup race ever witnessed, especially considering the
fact PE appeared to be an also ran turning into the stretch.

I'm uncertain if the Azari's incredible run was in the Breeders cup, but
she did run one of her races as though she was a Ferrari running against
vws in a road rally fashion...

DanG
07-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I have probably not seen as many of the truly great races as the rest of you. But I am moved deeply by these two (especially after reading the stories behind them) The 1978 Jockey Gold Cup -where (can't turn bold off) "Exceller is flying" passes Slew, who had led all the way at a very fast pace, and Slew still fights back to lose only by a nose. Very proud of both Slew and Exceller.

Horsefan,

Nasty weather at CD that BC, but you saw one of the greatest BC cards of all IMO. Both your eye witness accounts are amoung the all time great events. :ThmbUp:

Split the family in this race…I worshipped Ensign and my brother made a large bet on Winning Colors. How many would have honestly bet PE entering the stretch?

BTW: Durkin’s call is world class in this race IMHO. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Enjoy…(Full Race)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oILJ6IYoZso

betchatoo
07-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Someone has already mentioned one of mine, seeing John Henry win the inaugural Million. But the most memorable race for me was in 1968 when I saw Dr, Fager win the Washington Park Handicap at Arlington in 1:32.1. I didn't think horses could run that fast.

jognlope
07-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Cat Thief to win what I can't remember and my dearest Lemon Drop Kid to win both Whitney and Travers.

What out beat all was the Travers Point Given won. Tom Durkin said the rafters were shaking with excitement. It could be felt. Everybody at the Spa was so excited. I only go to the Spa once in a while so I haven't seen many.

Most fun Spa race was Quick Punch winning under Pat Day. He was 20/1 and my friend and I bet WPS and won $66. Wow that was a lot for us believe me!!

toetoe
07-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Theatrical over Trempolino, and Ferdinand over Alysheba --- ON THE SAME CARD !! Also, Very Subtle was awesome, and of course Miesque ... WOW !!

jognlope
07-01-2007, 01:38 PM
oooo that's a nice photo bigmack...

Hank
07-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Betchatoo, your a lUCKY man you were there when the Doc left a vapor trail around old Arlinton,WOW the Doc hurled a 20'3 SECOND quarter at his foes that day,the fastest internal fraction ever recorded. [ I think]I'm with Cratos, of all the mighty champs the Doc captures my imagination most.

Good4Now
07-01-2007, 02:24 PM
while carrying One hundred and thirty four pounds!

Just one of several races he won with an impost above one hundred and thirty!

DanG
07-01-2007, 02:33 PM
But the most memorable race for me was in 1968 when I saw Dr, Fager win the Washington Park Handicap at Arlington in 1:32.1. I didn't think horses could run that fast.
Our senior partner is about 70…something, give or take?

I love talking to people of that generation and beyond when they recall the sport as they remember it and the champions they have seen.

Almost without exception, when they mention Dr. Fager it is with almost reverent tones. The good Doctor was almost a religious experience to these men. I wish I saw him live…A frightening / tear your throat out animal on his game. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

cnollfan
07-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I have not seen that many great races live, but my votes are:

Funny Cide winning the Kentucky Derby -- I had gone 0-for-three days prior to that race but my non-racing friend Pete steadfastly stuck by me through that stretch and bet Funny Cide too.

Angel Cordero Jr. carrying Bold Forbes across the finish line to win the 1976 Belmont.

Other live races of note: I saw Secretariat twice, once winning the Laurel Futurity and once in the race Arlington made up for him after the Triple Crown that I think became the Arlington Classic. Saw Forego run against True Knight early in Forego's four-year-old career. Saw Affirmed beat Alydar twice by narrow margins as two-year-olds. Saw Arazi's amazing Breeders' Cup win.
Was wowed by Risen Star winning a minor race at Fair Grounds and became a fan of his, and was there for his Preakness. Saw Temperence Hill win the Arkansas Derby -- he "jiggled" before the race and won powerfully.

Cratos
07-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Our senior partner is about 70…something, give or take?

I love talking to people of that generation and beyond when they recall the sport as they remember it and the champions they have seen.

Almost without exception, when they mention Dr. Fager it is with almost reverent tones. The good Doctor was almost a religious experience to these men. I wish I saw him live…A frightening / tear your throat out animal on his game. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

If you saw Secretariat, Affirmed, and Ghostzapper run; you saw pieces of Dr. Fager in each of them. He had the tenacity of Affirmed, the class of Secretariat, and the speed of Ghostzapper. Incidentally I am not comparing him to either of those horses or either of those horses to him on a one to one basis.

Cratos
07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
[QU

the victory of personal ensign in this race, at least in my opinion is the
greatest breeders cup race ever witnessed, especially considering the
fact PE appeared to be an also ran turning into the stretch.

I'm uncertain if the Azari's incredible run was in the Breeders cup, but
she did run one of her races as though she was a Ferrari running against
vws in a road rally fashion...

You definitely named a most memorable race and the date was November 5, 1988. Also I agree with DanG about the weather because it was wet and cold at Churchill Downs. However I did put a few wooden nickels on Winning Colors to win and entering the stretch I thought I had hit he jackpot, but Personal Ensign wasn’t having any of that as she got up to win by a nose.

bigmack
07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Fager in the UN Intl Cup with an out of place classical guitar background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q5XvtxeR5E

DanG
07-01-2007, 03:14 PM
If you saw Secretariat, Affirmed, and Ghostzapper run; you saw pieces of Dr. Fager in each of them. He had the tenacity of Affirmed, the class of Secretariat, and the speed of Ghostzapper. Incidentally I am not comparing him to either of those horses or either of those horses to him on a one to one basis.
Of course Cratos I would argue that Spectacular Bid should be in your trifecta…but we have already beaten that one to death. :)

With all due respect and at the risk of offending all of NY who has built “speed figure” monuments to this animal…Ghostzapper does not belong on that list IMHO.

11 carefully managed races over three years…
Ducking the entire Triple Crown…
Two “2-turn" races in his entire life…
The animal was clearly brilliant on his day, but I feel he occupies a place in history he did not earn.

betchatoo
07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Betchatoo, your a lUCKY man you were there when the Doc left a vapor trail around old Arlinton,WOW the Doc hurled a 20'3 SECOND quarter at his foes that day,the fastest internal fraction ever recorded. [ I think]I'm with Cratos, of all the mighty champs the Doc captures my imagination most.
If I remember right (and I haven't looked at a chart of this race so I'm going strictly by memory), he ran 3/4 in 1:08 and then did a 24 closing quarter! Unbelievable!

And Dan, I'm not quite as old as your boss (I turn 60 in a couple of weeks, I was 21 when I saw that race) but I've been going out to Arlington since I was about 10. My Uncle used to live within walking distance of the track and we went there every time I visited. Saw Kelso race on the turf out there (and I think it was the only turf race he ever ran)

Cratos
07-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Of course Cratos I would argue that Spectacular Bid should be in your trifecta…but we have already beaten that one to death. :)

With all due respect and at the risk of offending all of NY who has built “speed figure” monuments to this animal…Ghostzapper does not belong on that list IMHO.

11 carefully managed races over three years…
Ducking the entire Triple Crown…
Two “2-turn" races in his entire life…
The animal was clearly brilliant on his day, but I feel he occupies a place in history he did not earn.

Dan,

I don’t know if you misread my post or you just have an adversarial nature when it comes to something you disagree with.

I understand and respect your ebullience for Spectacular Bid, but what I was inferring too about Ghostzapper relative to Dr. Fager was Ghostzapper’s speed and anyone reviewing his past performance would clearly agree that he had speed as did Dr. Fager. Furthermore I did append my comments with a disclaimer stating that my comments weren’t comparative, but identification.

DanG
07-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Dan,

I don’t know if you misread my post or you just have an adversarial nature when it comes to something you disagree with.

I understand and respect your ebullience for Spectacular Bid, but what I was inferring too about Ghostzapper relative to Dr. Fager was Ghostzapper’s speed and anyone reviewing his past performance would clearly agree that he had speed as did Dr. Fager. Furthermore I did append my comments with a disclaimer stating that my comments weren’t comparative, but identification.
You’re probably right on all accounts Cratos…

No offense intended or taken. Just a hot button in my brain when Frankels horse is included with such immortals even if it’s referring to one attribute.

Take care! :ThmbUp: