PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I figured out WHY I can't stand to watch ABC/ESPN/NBC

gIracing
06-30-2007, 07:12 PM
because it's like repeating a grade you got an A in, for no reason other than it's the only class going.

When you are watching ESPN, or any, the entire show is built on educating the novice user, who usually has no idea what's going on in the horse racing world, what's going on. usually stuff we have diccussed at nasuim. While they are doing this, they provide very little insite to the actual race... they are trying to tie in 5 weeks of racing (from the belmont until now) into an hour long broadcast, and because of it, the product suffers.

of course, this wasn't a problem (for me) until last year when I didn't have Satillate. It was my only outlet. I was happy just to see horses on TV. now it's expected, and I expect a little bit more.

Overlay
06-30-2007, 07:33 PM
In an ideal world there would be multiple channels that could cater to different audiences with varying levels of interest and knowledge. Given the choice, I think the game is better served by focusing on the novice as a way of replenishing the fan base. Racing has both the handicapping and sport aspects to consider. I don't think many people start out interested in the handicapping side as such. They get hooked on the history and excitement of the sport, and start serious study of handicapping and betting on their own initiative as a byproduct of that.

gIracing
06-30-2007, 07:45 PM
which is why I'm watching TVG right now until the actual race comes on