PDA

View Full Version : "Ainslie's Private Method"

boatload
06-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm interested in obtaing a copy of Tom Ainslie's "Private Method". I lost mine several years ago and would love to purchase one if available (hard Copy or e-mail). I realize it is dated but loved the methodology.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Smith

pressman
06-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Try this link
http://www.biblio.com/books/82225364.html

boatload
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Order placed. Thanks a million.

Gary Smith

pressman
07-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Your welcome Maybe sometime you could share any good info you have about it

Overlay
07-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a copy buried somewhere that would take a major effort to find. From memory, I recall it being similar to the type of approach that he outlined in The Compleat Horseplayer and Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing, where he applies broad elimination criteria in each of the major performance areas to differentiate "contenders" from "non-contenders", and then applies further, more refined analysis only to those horses he considers contenders. Since he's using negative factors to eliminate non-contenders, many of the standards would require adjustment to current conditions and practices for anyone still using a similar orientation. (For example, today, horses can still be fit enough to win with longer intervals between races and workouts than the time frames Ainslie used.) And narrowing the field down to the one horse that survived the winnowing-out process tended toward underlaid chalk (especially by this point in time), with insufficient consideration (in my opinion) of the types of positive angles that would give a horse that might not pass all of the qualifying rules (and that Ainslie would thus consider a non-contender) a significant chance of winning at overlaid odds.

Again, that's from recollection. I would welcome having my memory refreshed.

bigmack
07-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a copy buried somewhere that would take a major effort to find.
Clutter or sheer volume?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/messy.jpg

How many books on handicapping do you have O'Lay?

I've looked everywhere for my original LP of Robert Klein's Mind over Matter though have only found Child of the 50's. Both, very funny.

Overlay
07-01-2007, 02:09 PM
How many books on handicapping do you have O'Lay?

I've looked everywhere for my original LP of Robert Klein's Mind over Matter though have only found Child of the 50's. Both, very funny.

I have between 300 and 400, but they've been sitting boxed away in our garage/storage building since our last move. (I packed the ones that I consult most often separately, to be sure I'd have them available, but Ainslie's Private Method didn't make the cut in that regard.) (Also in there somewhere are Mind Over Matter and Child of the '50's, as well as the rarer Klein album New Teeth.) (I have what I believe is his "latest" (early 90's) release, Let's Not Make Love, on cassette in my glove compartment.)

Bob G
07-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I bought this about 30 years ago for $30. Ainslie had it listed on weekends in the DRF. DRF must have had some deal with him for advertising, because I can't imagine how he could have paid for the ads from the sales of the one method.

The method got a lot of solid, but low priced horses, and I don't remember it winning any money.