PDA

View Full Version : Request for posters

andicap
12-12-2002, 11:58 AM
When I started out in radio news, they used to tell us to type all of our stories in CAPS because it would be easier to read. I never understood this. Reading ALL CAPS IS REALLY HARD TO READ.

So I am asking posters here to write in up and down cases -- I just skip over the ALL CAPS posts because I can't read them.

I would also make another request. Now, none of us are English majors here. My wife is forever correcting my grammar and pronounciation and my spelling is just so-so. But it would be so much easier to read some of these posts if they were at least in complete sentences with periods placed at some points and perhaps a verb or two thrown in.
This isn't to criticize someone's language skills -- this is a racing board not an English board. Hell, I can even figure out Tom's spellings. But some posts are so difficult to follow I just find myself giving up.

Thank you,

so.cal.fan
12-12-2002, 12:11 PM
OKAY!!!!!!!
Whoops, I mean okay.......
sorry, Andy, most of us are "creative" writers. It is not that we don't know..........we just don't want to do it in a conventional way!
Thank you for correcting us. You are right, of course.:p:p :p

Tom
12-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by andicap

This isn't to criticize someone's language skills -- this is a racing board not an English board. Hell, I can even figure out Tom's spellings. But some posts are so difficult to follow I just find myself giving up.

Thank you,

HUH? WAHTS THAT YOU SAY? I GUESS THAT WAS AMPHOLOGICAL SCOURAGATION ON MY PART!
<g>

Larry Hamilton
12-12-2002, 07:14 PM
eschew obfuscation

Zaf
12-12-2002, 07:25 PM
D'accord

Peut-etre pour moi, Il vaut mieux ecrire en francais.

A bientot

ZAFONIC

so.cal.fan
12-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Come on, men. Andy was just being constructive.
He wants to help us make better posts!
I will not use all caps anymore, because I like Andy to read my posts.

Lefty
12-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Andicap, in the spirit of your post, your thread should have been titled request to posters. There ya go.

trying2win
12-12-2002, 09:27 PM
ANDICAP:

I usually scan over my posts before I send them, looking for errors in spelling, grammar etc. Sometimes I make the mistake of scanning the small print in the "YOUR REPLY" section, instead of scanning after clicking the "PREVIEW REPLY" button. Sometimes I overlook some typos and they inadvertently show up on the posts, making it difficult for some readers to figure out what I meant in a particular sentence.

I have a bad habit of making my sentences too long. Guess I'll have to practice in making them shorter.

There is a handy site at www.dictionary.com. If you're not sure of the spelling or meaning of a word, you can look it up there. Just stick a word in the 'LOOK IT UP" box and click on the button. If you've spelled the word correctly, it will give you the meaning. If you've miss-spelled the word, the site will give you a list of suggested words (usually one of them will contain the word with the correct spelling).

Sure would have been nice to have the internet in the old days, with a website like www.dictionary.com. For example, I can remember reading Perry Mason novels. Erle Stanley Gardner used to write something like..."Perry noticed that his client looked lugubrious." Huh? Then I could have look up the word, i.e. lugubrious, at www.dictionary.com and know instantly what it meant!

I didn't even realize till recently, that a forum member could edit or delete his post for a limited time after he submits it. Found out that info at the "FAQ" section, under the part "READING AND POSTING MESSAGES" and clicking the link where it reads "CAN I EDIT MY OWN POSTS?".

melman
12-13-2002, 05:34 AM
WHAT UP WITH DIS THREAT OF A THINGEE. I never TRY AND SPELL U GOT DAT. And I hopa youse don't read a this EITHER OR ETHER. LOL

andicap
12-13-2002, 12:24 PM
I took the jokes in the spirat in which they were intinded:) :D

Trying2win: I didn't mean misspellings -- like I said I can figure out what Tom usually means. I was just talking about posts that don't seem to have any periods, commas, etc.

Thanks y'all!!

:p

Tom
12-13-2002, 04:28 PM
it's my typing.

MikeDee
12-14-2002, 08:04 AM
Well, I can't type, I can't spell and I'm to lazy to proofread my posts, or run spell and grammer check, but otherwise my posts are fine :)

I find when I type I skip a lot of the small words and when I proofread, mentally I put them in where they need to be and read right through the errors.

why not just type in all small case. case(upper or lower) adds nothing to the meaning or ease of reading like periods or commas, and you don't have to bother with the shift key?

Tom
12-14-2002, 11:41 AM
That avatar looks like my proctologist! Should I stop eating after midnight? <G>

Zaf
12-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Tom
That avatar looks like my proctologist! Should I stop eating after midnight? <G>

Its Robert Blake from the movie Lost Highway.

Scary looking proctologist , maybe you should find a new one !

ZAFONIC