PDA

View Full Version : Biggio's 3,000 hits? Hardly

Bubbles
06-29-2007, 06:28 AM
I'm not denying the man's had a great career. But let's look at the last few games.

He was sat down in the final game of a three-game set against Milwaukee. Yes, he pinch-hit, but it's no secret they wanted him to break the record at home. This same luxury was not afforded to Hank Aaron when he was shooting for Babe Ruth's home run record in the 1970's. This could be either sheer hypocrisy or proof of racism against Aaron; quite honestly, it's probably both.

In the history-making game when he hit the milestone, he hit a groundball to third base. Garrett Atkins fielded the grounder, but the throw went clear over the first baseman's head and Biggio went to second. In a true moment of "home scoring," they gave Biggio the infield hit, and Atkins a one-base error. I guarantee you, if Carlos Lee hits that ground ball, it's a two-base error.

Craig Biggio's a great player who deserved the five-minute standing ovation he got. But he should have gotten 3,000 hits the right way. Those two problems above were the result of ignorance thanks to baseball wanting good publicity from the milestone, as the last player to reach 3,000 hits was Stanozolol Boy, Rafael Palmeiro. If I'm Bud Selig, among other changes I make, I force Biggio to play, just like Aaron had to in the 70's. In regards to the wink-wink, nudge-nudge scoring, that should just never happen, regardless of the circumstances and implications surrounding the play.

OTM Al
06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Bubbles, you make a good arguement, but I can really see that sports writer mentality building in you. I mean that as a compliment, because I have the feeling you will do well at it. However, with that always seems to come the sportswriter's blinkered vision toward the games and event they cover. So let me counter your arguements from the perspective of someone who enjoys the game.

First, Houston sucks. They have nothing to look forward to this year. Why not give the fans a thrill by letting them see him get the milestone at home. Would you rather he played the game in Milwaukee and not tried to hit the ball? The game is about entertainment and at least being able to see him make the milestone in Houston gave the fans some entertainment. Just because something was once required of player X in the past doesn't make it right or appropriate to be done to player Y now.

Second, if the scorer did any insult to anyone by what he did, I assure you it is to Biggio himself. You don't think a hard working guy like him didn't want to earn that 3000th hit? Everytime it gets brought up in the future, he's going to remember that he got it cheaply, though I would doubt he didn't reach on errors in the past that should have been hits, nor do I doubt he won't get a couple more hits before he was done.

The only advice I can ever give you as a fan of the game is what is good and what is bad in sports reporting. Be like Peter Gammons. The man loves the game and revels in its nuances. He recognizes milestones but seems loathe to put too much emphasis on them. That is because it is the game that is important, not the records. Don't be like these crappy talk radio guys who seem to think they are sacred guardians of the game. 755 SACRED!!!!! 73 (or 61 depending on your vintage) SACRED!!!!!! and so on. These guys have never really "seen" a game. All they've ever seen is the back of a baseball card. And all they do is get off on arguing about who's got the bigger baseball card...if you know what I mean. I'd rather see a real game than a baseball card any time

GaryG
06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Craig Biggio has been an absolute credit to baseball. Shows up every day and gives his best. Sometimes on a decent team but more often on a bad team. The circumstances of his 3000th hit don't matter. Maybe now or later, but he was going to get it. We could sure use a few more like him and a few less like the prima donnas who shall remain nameless.

Marlin
06-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Craig Biggio has been an absolute credit to baseball. Shows up every day and gives his best. Sometimes on a decent team but more often on a bad team. The circumstances of his 3000th hit don't matter. Maybe now or later, but he was going to get it. We could sure use a few more like him and a few less like the prima donnas who shall remain nameless.

Yup. HOF shoe-in. BTW is was the double clutch not the throw that made Biggio safe. I'm not an Astro guy but he was clearly going to beat it out even if the throw was good. Loved seeing him dig for second on 3,0000. Even though he was out, it basically epitomized the way he has played this game.

boomman
06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Craig Biggio is a warrior and the epitome of a Hall of Famer. Plays his guts out, now has the 3000 hits milestone, leaves nothing on the field, and will be inducted in his first year of eligibility IMHO....

JustRalph
06-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Everytime I see some guy get 3000 hits and they go apeshit........

It only reinforces what Pete Rose did..........4256..........Hits..............

Pete got 1256 more hits than this...........think about it.............. :bang:

DanG
06-29-2007, 09:07 PM
All Star at three positions…C, 2B, CF is remarkable and to still has good legs after all these years. Excellent player and will be in he hall, but 1st ballad may be tough IMO.

Agreed Ralph…Rose was just a machine. The only modern player who would have threatened him is Ichiro Suzuki if his prior hits counted / or if he started here.

ghostyapper
06-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I didn't like that they were sitting him for road games but his 3000th hit was clearly a hit, not an error. Even if the ball was not overthrown he still beat the throw to the bag.

OTM Al
06-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't know about that Dan. there's a guy in New York named Derek Jeter who's actually ahead of Pete Rose by about 70 some at equal points in career. He will certainly be the first Yankee, believe it or not, to get 3000, but it will be fun in years to come to see if he can get anywhere near Pete.

DanG
06-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't know about that Dan. there's a guy in New York named Derek Jeter who's actually ahead of Pete Rose by about 70 some at equal points in career. He will certainly be the first Yankee, believe it or not, to get 3000, but it will be fun in years to come to see if he can get anywhere near Pete.
Point taken Al, but even Jeter doesn’t match Ichiro’s pace.

One thing about Derek chasing a record that requires that much time to accomplish. We both know he’s as tough as a $2 steak, but he does crowd the plate and dares people to throw inside. He has taking as many pitches off the hands as any 10 players. (Ironically, Biggio is no stranger to being hit either.)

Maybe it’s because I see the Tampa / Yankee games so much when it seems like we hit Derek every series. At some point that may affect longevity.

Throw back players in this thread…Rose, Jeter, Biggio and the Japanese hit machine. Love watching them all. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
06-30-2007, 07:15 PM
If my memory serves me right,,,,,,,, Ichiro is a free agent next year.......... I predict a new record contract............

kenwoodallpromos
06-30-2007, 09:15 PM
"If I'm Bud Selig, among other changes I make, I force Biggio to play, just like Aaron had to in the 70's."
So what would be your opinion of Bonds if he hits the record on the road?

dylbert
06-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Baseball is a game, baseball is a game, baseball is a game...

Why must fans lose touch with this fact?

Biggio pursuing 3000 hits (27th person to do so) is quite different from Henry Aaron pursuing all-time home run record. Ultimately, Aaron did hit 715 at the old Launching Pad. TBS plays that clip ad-nauseum each year. Fact is no one can control when records will fall or milestones achieved as "baseball is a game."

More fun is ahead as Bonds nears Aaron's HR mark. I predict several managers will pitch around him and prolong process. If I was ML manager, I'd plunk him in first at-bat every night! Let him chase Biggio's HBP record.

Disclaimer -- I have been Houston Astros fan since 1965.

Bubbles
07-01-2007, 04:51 PM
"If I'm Bud Selig, among other changes I make, I force Biggio to play, just like Aaron had to in the 70's."
So what would be your opinion of Bonds if he hits the record on the road?That, in this case, he played baseball the way it should be played?

Longshot
07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Biggio is 40 years old. It's a common thing for older players to sit out a day game, like in Milwaukee, after playing the night before. He has done that for a couple of years now.