PDA

View Full Version : another baby retires

46zilzal
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Scat Daddy - tendon injury which would have required a 90 day rest, so they retire him instead......

cj
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Pletcher overachieved with this guy big time. Any further racing would only lessen his value at stud.

ghostyapper
06-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Its coming to the point where trainers are not even bothering to give legitimate excuses anymore for premature retirements. They think a 90 day injury is now sufficient enough.

Tom
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
If I ever own a horse, I hope he is no good so I can run him longer.

BillW
06-27-2007, 01:48 PM
If I ever own a horse, I hope he is no good so I can run him longer.

... and at the FL :lol:

Ron
06-27-2007, 06:11 PM
You'll have to geld him!

Cratos
06-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Scat Daddy - tendon injury which would have required a 90 day rest, so they retire him instead......

Don’t mean to sound cynical, but this sport is run by breeders and for breeders. We as fans are just the necessary “oats” that the breeders need to feed their horses until they go into the breeders’ shed.

Ron
06-27-2007, 07:47 PM
What is wrong with a horse retiring? Yeah, we won't see him race again but the sooner that we we'll his kids race!

gIracing
06-27-2007, 09:15 PM
first of all, he was bred to be unsound as unsound gets. He has more crosses to phlaris (10) than I can stomach. Considering his sire didn't race all that long either, I don't know why people were expecting to see Tin Man jr.

horses that are unsound and don't race veyr often bred horses that are unsound and don't race very often

My honest opinion is he wasn't right going IN the derby. he has managed bad feet most of his career. I guess that race just put too much strain on him.

off to the shed he goes. to bred more unsoundness!

I think the bigger decision was looking at it....damn... he has 2 G1 wins.. a couple of grade 2's.. he's made money back and more... Tabor who owns part of him has Quay and Rag's among others.... from their standpoing.. why KEEP him running.

and from a breeding standpoint.. I'm pretty sure he would be about a 20k stud type of horse at least to start off.. not a horse you baby along to make to stud. he gets there when he gets there. he isn't going to command the same stud fee as Street Sense (who I think will be about 60k) or curlin (who I think will be about 40k)

ELA
06-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Not a shock, unfortunately. As I've said before, and as everyone who understands the business knows, the economics dictate that a horse like this in this situation be retired. It has nothing to do with "the money" in a simplistic fashion -- look who owns him. However, and not to oversimplify the matter, from a business perspective, unless he wins something "more" or "bigger" than he already has -- he's maxed out vis a vis value. On the other hand, if he gets beat -- more than once, regresses, etc. -- he dimishes in value.

As far as his stallion career -- I see the stud fee falling between $30k and $40k, which, personally, I think is too high. I am not a bloodstock agent or breeding industry/marketplace expert, but that's just my knee-jerk reaction.

Eric

gIracing
06-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Not a shock, unfortunately. As I've said before, and as everyone who understands the business knows, the economics dictate that a horse like this in this situation be retired. It has nothing to do with "the money" in a simplistic fashion -- look who owns him. However, and not to oversimplify the matter, from a business perspective, unless he wins something "more" or "bigger" than he already has -- he's maxed out vis a vis value. On the other hand, if he gets beat -- more than once, regresses, etc. -- he dimishes in value.

As far as his stallion career -- I see the stud fee falling between $30k and $40k, which, personally, I think is too high. I am not a bloodstock agent or breeding industry/marketplace expert, but that's just my knee-jerk reaction.

Eric

30-40k is WAYYYY too high and he wouldn't generate enough business for that. I can go to Lion heart for 35k, pleasant tap for 15k, even indian charlie for 30k. the number has to represent value.. his blood lines dont' generate that much value at 30k-40k with a paper clip for a sire, although the dam side is A one IMHO

just look at invasor. Invasor won't sniff anything close to 100k because of his blood lines. If invasor was by AP Indy or say, Danzing instead of Candy Stripes, a sire that hasn't done well in the US AT ALL, you probably wouldn't have seen him race this year, he would have been too valuable.

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Its coming to the point where trainers are not even bothering to give legitimate excuses anymore for premature retirements. They think a 90 day injury is now sufficient enough.

Which again goes to my argument that early retirement is not only because horses are "weaker" these days as compared to the "glory days" of yesteryear.

It's also because we have the medical technology to "see things" we couldn't see during the "glory days," we have trainers who aren't willing to just shelf a horse and bring said horse back to the races when ready, and we have had a fundamental change in trainer/owner/breeding tactics (aka $$$$$$).