PDA

View Full Version : Networking File Transfer Question

GR1@HTR
12-11-2002, 09:11 AM
This is my situation:

I have 2 laptops and want to transfer files from one laptop the the other. The problem is the files are over 1.0 Gig worth of data (racefiles) and one of the laptops will not let me install new software (ie. Cant install a CD burner/Zip Drive) to transfer data.

Therefore I assume the best way to get data from old laptop to new laptop is to create a network between the two machines to transfer data? The old machine is running Windows ME and the new machine is running WinXP.

Regarding Hardware: To create a network do I just get two network cards and a cable to do this or do I need a hub and other hardware?

I assume a network can be created between ME and XP? Is this easy as plug and play once I install the hardware?

Dave Schwartz
12-11-2002, 10:31 AM
GR1,

I am assuming this is a one-time copy. (If so, a network is hardly worth the effort or cost.)

Actually, you don't even need a NIC card. Just hook them up with a cable from your local computer store. Just walk in, tell them what you want to do, and they SHOULD offer you the right cable. (If they tell you that you need a network, you're talking to the wrong people.)

In Windows Help there should be a subject titled "direct cable connection." It will walk you right through it.

If you need more specific help, give me a call directly.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: Here is the section from the help files in Win98...

++++++++++++++++

Using Direct Cable Connection to connect to another computer

With Direct Cable Connection, you can gain access to shared folders on another computer, even when your computer is not on a network. If the other computer is connected to a network, you can also gain access to that network.

For example, if you have a portable computer, you can use a cable to connect it to your work computer and network.

to set up a direct cable connection with another computer.

Notes
You can also set up a direct cable connection with another computer by clicking Start, pointing to Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to Communications, and then clicking Direct Cable Connection.
If you do not see Direct Cable Connection on the Communications menu, it is not installed. To find out how to install a Windows component, click Related Topics.

GR1@HTR
12-11-2002, 10:42 AM
Thanks Dave. That is excellent news!

so.cal.fan
12-11-2002, 11:14 AM
I want to get one.........what should I buy?

GR1@HTR
12-11-2002, 12:43 PM
So Cal.

I have had a Sony, Compaq, Clone and a Gateway. They all performed well, except for the clone. Cause when it broke, I couldn't get it fixed. Unfortunately, laptops are very fragile and are going to break so you gotta look at the support end. To me Gateway by far has the best support. If you have ever had to call tech support to fix a problem you know it can be a nightmare. Bascially you will spend 30 min to 2 hours on the phone with someone who was working a McDonalds last week...I know cause I used to place those guys there when I was a Tech Recruiter. Then they will put someone else on the phone who was working at Blockbuster Video 2 months ago...Real fustrating...Then if you have a hardware problem you have to find a certified technician approved by the vendor and so on...
With Gateway, when I had a CD Rom prob and Battery issue, I just droped it off at the Gateway store and then picked it up 4 days later...No phone calls, no questions...A great relief...Gateway RULES!

JustRalph
12-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Direct Cable connect does not exist in the same form in WinXP. You can do it, its just different in XP. You must also be aware of file permissions etc.

I suggest you go read this article. FYI

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621

GR1@HTR
12-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Thanks Ralf. That is very helpful!

MarylandPaul@HSH
12-13-2002, 01:22 AM
I would say the easiest and fastest way to do this is with a USB file transfer kit. CompUSA carries them (product link) (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=265608) , but I'd expect you could find them cheaper online. This is assuming your old laptop has a USB port.

As Dave suggested, Direct Cable Connect should work fine, but USB would be a quite a bit faster. If you go this route, get a "laplink" type Parallel cable rather than a Serial cable. Direct Serial connections are horribly slow.

If your new laptop has a built in Ethernet adapter, as many, if not most do, you could also purchase a single Ethernet adapter for the old laptop, along with a "crossover" Ethernet cable, or, better yet, borrow one :)

MP

GR1@HTR
01-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Went to Comp USA and purchased a USB transport cable for $20 and was able to easily transfer about 1.0 gig of info in 15 to 30 minutes...Awsome gizmo!

LOU M.
01-05-2003, 10:13 AM
I have a Gateway 9500 w/ a 15.3 screen by far the best.Great tech support and the two times in close to three years that I have owned it and had a minor problem I brought it to a store and they fixed it right then.