PDA

View Full Version : Betting on British racing will start early in the day at Saratoga Race Course

Ron
06-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Track will serve up bets and breakfast
Betting on British racing will start early in the day at Saratoga Race Course
By DENNIS YUSKO (http://timesunion.com/TUNews/author/AuthorPage.aspx?AuthorNum=134), Staff writer
Click byline for more stories by writer.
First published: Tuesday, June 26, 2007

COLONIE -- Betting on horses will start at breakfast and end at dinner time this summer at Saratoga Race Course. The New York Racing Association will offer simulcast wagering on live thoroughbred racing from the United Kingdom during breakfasts at the Spa track five days a week, it announced Monday in The Desmond during its annual media day for the 36-day meet.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=601074&category=SARATOGA&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=6/26/2007

andicap
06-26-2007, 05:43 PM
All right! Time to get a start on my British racing --
Question: Does the OTB Channel in Albany carry British races? (right now TVG has a nice menu of them.)

Got to figure out what my strategy will be since there are no pace times/position calls and I don't have time to /time/chart the races as I'll be betting American tracks by night and probably working during the day.

I think trainer patterns and trips might work or I could subscribe to some figure service.

Zman179
06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Andicap: Sorry, but Capital OTB doesn't carry the British races. However, many of the online ADW's take the British races (brisnet.com takes them every day except Sunday and NYCOTB Monday-Friday.)

It certainly appears that the East Coast tracks will work to your favor when you move to the UK (Saratoga post time: 6pm.) Heck, you can even get creative, wake up at 6am on Saturday mornings, and bet on the late doubles from Bay Meadows, Los Alamitos and Hollywood! :ThmbUp:

mudnturf
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
All right! Time to get a start on my British racing --
Question: Does the OTB Channel in Albany carry British races? (right now TVG has a nice menu of them.)

Got to figure out what my strategy will be since there are no pace times/position calls and I don't have time to /time/chart the races as I'll be betting American tracks by night and probably working during the day.

I think trainer patterns and trips might work or I could subscribe to some figure service.

Andy
When you get there, and until you figure out what suits you best, and are desperate for action of any kind, you might take a look at two public handicappers I consider above the rest... Rob Wright of the Times, and Tony Lewis of the Star. Their selections appear in the Racing Post as well as their own publications, of course.
They were confidence boosters to me at last week's Royal Ascot meeting. I usually bet a few extra "bob" on the horse I liked if either or both of them concurred.

andicap
06-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Probably won't be able to bet the early races in the East -- dinner time -- so will have to learn how to play the nighttime tracks. (Although I'd like to be able to put in spot plays based on the morning line in the East.) But yes, it does blow my mind that I can get up at 6 a.m. and play the late Friday races at Hollywood.
I just want to learn to how to play the British tracks so I can drop in the bookie joints and hold my own. When I went over to the UK in April I actually hit both races I played -- a 9-2 (in a 5-horse field) and 8-1 in a 14-horse field. I couldn't believe it -- I immediately went to a pub and made myself popular by buying lots of drinks.
The first hit came from a tip off a UK racing board from a guy who had a very good record with some method or other. The second was just from reading those three line summaries in the racing papers. I threw out the favorite, considered the next four in the order of odds and got lucky.

melman
06-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Andi when you get over the pond it's seems like a perfect time for you to follow harness racing. The time schedule works out great. :) If your interested send me a PM.

highnote
06-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Don't forget that Nick Mordin, journalist for Sporting Life Weekender magazine, sells his UK speed figures on his website -- nickmordin.com.

I hope PA doesn't mind me plugging Nick -- I'm just trying to do a public service.

andicap
06-29-2007, 11:22 AM
SJ,
But how good are his figures? They seemed a bit pricey. And you don't have to pay a fortune for quality. Look at CJ's.

highnote
06-30-2007, 03:10 AM
SJ,
But how good are his figures? They seemed a bit pricey. And you don't have to pay a fortune for quality. Look at CJ's.

Andy,
I have not used his figures enough to know. He has a good customer base, so I assume they are decent -- otherwise he would have no customers, I suppose. I think they're less than Ragozin or Thorograph.

I've heard good things about CJ's figs, but have never used them.
js